Steel Tarrifs

/ Steel Tarrifs #1  

Twanger

Bronze Member
Tractor
4310 4wd ehydro 420 loader asof 4/2/02
Everyone better get settled and buy attachments and tractors now. These tarrifs (although needed for the US steel industry) is going to bump prices up.

/ Steel Tarrifs #2  
I doubt it.

Productivity in the U.S. steel industry is quite good, compared to 10-15 years ago.
But the steel industries are heavily subsidized in other countries. The private sector cannot compete with that, unfortunately.
So...I don't think there's much choice about the tariffs.

BTW, did you know the federal government is supposed to be paid for by tariffs, not taxes?

/ Steel Tarrifs
Production is high because we've lost many factories. (I am in the mfg rep business of temp control) We have seen factories going to Mexico and just shutting their doors. This is not just for our territory, but nationally (all reps in my business have seen this trait). I talked to Jiffy Hitch today about some quick hitch systems $. They said they are already seeing higher prices in raw materials.

/ Steel Tarrifs #4  
I work in a steel using factory (stamping). These tariffs are going to hurt much more than help! Studies show that for every steel job saved 8 will be lost in steel using industries. Imposing tariffs to raise prices will hurt us all in the long run. I don't have a good solution for the hurting US steel industry but I do know the tariffs were not the answer.

I know this is probably not the right forum for these types of discussion but the more people that are informed of the consequences the better.

/ Steel Tarrifs #5  
Every year that I can remember, my suppliers' prices go up because the price of steel went up. If steel actually went up and stayed up the way they describe, then I'd have to lock my truck in a vault because someone would be trying to steal it for the steel.

/ Steel Tarrifs #6  
I currently work at a steelmill - we are going to raise our prices in the VERY near future, but at least our business is starting to pick up.

/ Steel Tarrifs #7  
yup this is true we just got notice from one of our suppliers today that effective june first the price of equipment would be 10% higher because of steel prices and there would also be a 5% surcharge on each invoice until further notice because of the tariffs. I guess everyone should be prepared to pay a little more. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif