Need some straight advise

/ Need some straight advise #11  
The clearing activities take a lot of power. If you are going cows, you will probably want hay. Balers take power too. I'd go big with an error on the big side being much less severe than an error on the small side.

jb

I'm going to have to disagree, John. My 25hp tractor's usually idleing while the chainsaw is screaming. If we're talking serious land clearing, then I'm out of it, but doing it with a tractor sort of means that it's not that serious.

I never have to fill up the tank... it's confusing. The saw uses more fuel.

I don't think anybody's tractor is 'pulling stumps out'.
anyway free advice, get what you pay...

/ Need some straight advise #12  
IMHO, if you are going to cut and bale hay and if you are going to bush hog the property with any size cutter, you need at least 50 pto hp. Based on my experience with the Mahindra 6000 4x4, the 6530 would be ideal and a 6030 would be adequate.

/ Need some straight advise #13  
I'm going to have to disagree, John. My 25hp tractor's usually idleing while the chainsaw is screaming. If we're talking serious land clearing, then I'm out of it, but doing it with a tractor sort of means that it's not that serious.

I never have to fill up the tank... it's confusing. The saw uses more fuel.

I don't think anybody's tractor is 'pulling stumps out'.
anyway free advice, get what you pay...

I can tell that you've never done serious land clearing then. The GC company i work for doesn't do any land cleaing with small tractors.. it's all big iron. If I had some large land clearing to do.. but not enough to justify buying a used TLB, then selling it afterwards.. and not wanting to spend the money on hireing it done, vs putting that money as a down payment.. I'd sure be reaching for a 50ish hp machine or better.. especially if i wanted to make hay later on.

soundguy

/ Need some straight advise #14  
I can tell that you've never done serious land clearing then. The GC company i work for doesn't do any land cleaing with small tractors.. it's all big iron. If I had some large land clearing to do.. but not enough to justify buying a used TLB, then selling it afterwards.. and not wanting to spend the money on hireing it done, vs putting that money as a down payment.. I'd sure be reaching for a 50ish hp machine or better.. especially if i wanted to make hay later on.

soundguy

I'm gonna have to go back and reread, are we talking serious?

Unsoundguy, When I clear trees (never have actually cleared land) my chainsaw runs alot more than the tractor that retrieves the wood. What's the fuss about more power? You 'poppin' stumps'? Didn't think so...

Driveway work doesn't require hp either.
Jake

Last edited:
   / Need some straight advise #15  
I'm gonna have to go back and reread, are we talking serious?

Unsoundguy, When I clear trees (never have actually cleared land) my chainsaw runs alot more than the tractor that retrieves the wood. What's the fuss about more power? You 'poppin' stumps?' Didn't think so...

Driveway work doesn't require hp either.
Jake

I don't insult you by defacing your handle.. I'd ask you to have the civility to not do it to mine.

As for serious land clearing.. that's what i mentioned.. serious. As for chainsaw vs machine time... when we clear land.. sometimes we don't use chainsaws.. we use BIG IRON.. like I said. Stump removal... why would you assume no?? ( yes )... they don't just climb out of the ground by themselves! Heavy landclearing is hard work.. and it will tear up a small machine.. heck.. it can tear up large heavy duty machines!

The topic was about what we reccomended... the people responding here are doing just that... and lots of hem apaprently think he needs mor ethan a lawnmower sized tractor and an axe and shovel.

we've all got an opinion to offer... no harm.. no foul..

soundguy

/ Need some straight advise #16  
IMHO, if you are going to cut and bale hay and if you are going to bush hog the property with any size cutter, you need at least 50 pto hp. Based on my experience with the Mahindra 6000 4x4, the 6530 would be ideal and a 6030 would be adequate.

Seller,
You may be right. Haying has to have horsepower. No doubt. (I think). Brush hogging works great with 25hp. The only time I ever use the right rpm.

Jake

/ Need some straight advise #17  
Seller,
You may be right. Haying has to have horsepower. No doubt. (I think). Brush hogging works great with 25hp.

Jake

I use a 10' pull type Bush Hog brand because I have other things to spend my time on besides cutting pasture. 25 hp will not pull it and, if it would, a 5 to 7% grade would be a dangerous undertaking.

/ Need some straight advise #18  
I don't insult you by defacing your handle.. I'd ask you to have the civility to not do it to mine.

As for serious land clearing.. that's what i mentioned.. serious. As for chainsaw vs machine time... when we clear land.. sometimes we don't use chainsaws.. we use BIG IRON.. like I said. Stump removal... why would you assume no?? ( yes )... they don't just climb out of the ground by themselves! Heavy landclearing is hard work.. and it will tear up a small machine.. heck.. it can tear up large heavy duty machines!

The topic was about what we reccomended... the people responding here are doing just that... and lots of hem apaprently think he needs mor ethan a lawnmower sized tractor and an axe and shovel.

we've all got an opinion to offer... no harm.. no foul..

soundguy

Well I tried to get a chuckle out of you a week or so ago with the Appocalipse Now reference to "unsound" but you were too busy, I guess.
Don't get snippy, I'm just trying to keep a stupid thread going, for crying out loud.

Jake

ps this ain't about big iron either.

pps you don't even HAVE any dirt in FLA, I lived in Longwood and Homestead.

/ Need some straight advise #19  
I use a 10' pull type Bush Hog brand because I have other things to spend my time on besides cutting pasture. 25 hp will not pull it and, if it would, a 5 to 7% grade would be a dangerous undertaking.

Not sure of the % thing but a 5' brush hog goes up and down hills frontwards and backwards with crap flying everywhere on mine. 10' foot seems big for a brush hog. we talking about the same thing there creekseller?

ps why are you cutting pasture anyway? aren't the animals supposed to graze in the pasture?

/ Need some straight advise #20  
Not sure of the % thing but a 5' brush hog goes up and down hills frontwards and backwards with crap flying everywhere on mine. 10' foot seems big for a brush hog. we talking about the same thing there creekseller?

I take it you've never seen large hogs? 10', 12' 15' and 20' are all common sizes.

i pull a 10' with my ford 5000 and a 15' with my NH 7610s.

soundguy