Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #41  
my property is cross-fenced so much that pulling a bush hog/rear finish mower isn't really feasible, I would have to come behind it with another machine to get into the corners & then a weed wacker for fence lines as well, what a pain in the *****!

So, next uninformed question:

Does the next class size up even offer belly mowers? I haven't seen one.....

Yes you can get belly mowers for CUT's but they are more expensive & are more difficult to put on & remove than a pull-behind. We use a belly mower on our smaller riding lawn mower & you still have to go in after the fact & weed-whack the corners. Don't have a 3 PT pull behind for my Dynamo but would expect you may be able to do a fair job of getting those corners backing up into them. Lets see what the rest say.

Vic

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #42  
Outfox,

I checked out my Mahindra dealer recently and the 2415HST was really nice. It didn't seem as small as the BX, JD2305, etc but you had a true Cat 1 rear hitch with serious lift power and the Mahindra loaders can move some weight. Our local dealer rigged some of their models up with Woods loaders that were nice. The Mahindras had the Mitsubishi diesel and the whole tractor line felt heavier and less "plastic" than some of the other subcompacts out there.

Couldn't agree more with the dealer support comments. It sounds like you are going to be much more than a hobby user with the nursery business and working with a dealer that has been around a long time will be something you need to consider.

Dano

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #43  
I would think a 3pt mower would get into corners better than a belly mower. Belly mowers can be a pain to take on and off all the time too.

BTW, I think you can buy a Kioti CK20 and get a free loader through the end of the year. Pretty good deal.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice
With the ground clearance offered by these size tractors, why would you need to remove the belly mower? Can't you just lift it higher off the ground???

Also, what tax incentive are they referring to, the 179 accelerated depreciation? Or is there another one, I need all of them I can get!:D

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #45  
Interesting questions about the belly mower. I bet for the price of a belly mower you could get a darn good mower as a 2nd unit. I have an old Allis Chalmers 616 (same as a Simplicity 4040) and it mows the best I have EVER seen for a belly mower. I always figure that a "real" tractor really only works well with a rear mount mower. Front mower units are really the best with zero turn.

Hate to admit it, but if you are careful and have a good quality unit you can (don't yell at me everyone) drive over the belly mower to take it on and off. You need to make ramps at the front and back but where there is a will there is a way.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #46  
Flail mowers can get into corners pretty well and with a shift kit can get under shrubs, bushes, low tree limbs and closer to fence lines than the tractor.
Whole _nother subject... (-:

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #47  
I have 6+ acres in Florida with horses on the property. Also starting a small tree nursery, 30Gallon size or less. I want to buy a small tractor I can handle myself to do the "big" jobs.

Mowing pastures (must mow at 6" minimum)
Moving dirt/manure/hay
Grading
Possible auger for post installation (fencing)

main concerns: fair price, dependability, service availability, operator comfort

Wow! Isn't Clermont, Fl one of those places you have to be careful not to dig a posthole too deep or it turns into a well?;)

When you say "must mow at 6" minimum," does that mean that you will not want to mow anything below 6", or is that the average height of the grass in your pasture? This sounds like a rough cut rotary mower would be ideal. If you aren't looking for a golf course quality lawn, the finish mower just doesn't make sense to me. Finish mowers, and especially belly mowers, are very expensive. I tend to agree with jimmyj, who suggested you spend that extra money on a stand-alone rider for those truly finish mower chores. You can get a nice 54" wide deck on a ZTR for the price of a belly mower. That mower will do your lawn and your pasture touchup where needed. Of course, only you know for sure what you want/need, so this is just me making a suggestion.

What about the form of your hay? It is very important to know whether you are talking about square or round bales when you are looking for a tractor to move them. Round bales take a whole larger class of tractor to handle than do square bales. Since you will have horses, I'm guessing squares are the type of hay you will feed. In that case, almost any tractor will haul a few bales.

Light dirt work is also easy to do with small tractors. moving loose dirt/gravel/manure and grading can easily be done by sub-compacts, but don't expect to change the landscape with them unless you have nothing else to do for years on end. The real key to what you need for your trees is how much the trees will weigh and how wide the rows will be so you can drive your tractor into your tree farm. Everything takes planning, planning, planning. It'll make you pull your hair out.:rolleyes:

Find out all the specs of any tractor you will buy. What is the maximum lift of the 3PH and FEL? How high can you raise the FEL bucket and is the 3PH big enough to handle full-sized implements. Take the lift specs of the tractor and divide them by two to find the "working" values. If 80% of your work will be in this 1/2 maximum range, you will be much happier with your tractor's performance. Also, you will NOT be happy with a small 2wd tractor with an FEL. If you get a tractor with an FEL, stick with 4wd. You'll never be sorry.

You really want to stay away from the small cat-0 implements in my opinion. You will find many more used or even new implements available for cat-1 than cat-0. That means you probably should not look for a sub-compact. I would suggest something in the 25 hp to 35 hp range. If you can't afford new, then just keep looking for used. I also believe you will be more productive a lot quicker with a hydrostatic transmission, but don't overlook the gear models since you are on a very limited budget.

It's a lot easier to find info on new tractors than used ones, but if you find something that interests you, just ask here and somebody will be able to give you the info or tell you where you can find it. It's exciting and scary to be tractor shopping, perhaps also intimidating for you. Trying to decide whether to buy from a dealer or and individual can be a huge dilemma. I would say that whatever brand you buy, be sure you can get local support. Stay with brands you see at major dealers and you will be safer. You don't have to buy from the dealer, but I'd sure feel a lot better buying a known tractor model from an individual that buying an unknown brand from a strip shopping center dealer who just opened in the last month.

Welcome to TBN. Good luck, and keep us posted.:)

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #48  
Jinman,

Nice thorough post. Can't go wrong with that advice.

OutFox,

Jinman's query regarding your 6" minimum grass height requirement triggered an issue we face with our Riding Lawn mower. With our small 38" deck on our riding lawn mower, cannot raise it much beyond 3". That's really frustrating when you want to cut the high spots in the pasture (horses are really picky, won't eat the high grasses either) & you end up cutting too short leaving less for the horses. You will have much more flexibility with a rear mower.

Go & get quotes for a belly mower versus a rear mower & I think your budget will readily make the decision for you. ;)

Good Luck & Have Fun on the Hunt. :)

Vic

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #49  
"Don't need 4 WD in Florida"
Not even close! After getting 10" of rain in 3 hours even 4 WD is barely enough!! Don't waste your time on 2WD, I've had both and had to get 2WD unstuck too often.
There is a good Branson Dealer (Lasenby's) on hiwy 301 between Waldo and Starke. (they are either the largest Branson Dealer in Fl., the USA or the world, I can't remember which) If you go on a Saturday you can also go to the Waldo Flea Market, a nice size market.
For edging get a goat or a sheep, they are a lot cheaper. I went to a junk yard once and the guy ran sheep in it and the cars were all easy to get to and grass/weed free.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #50  
I think Florida is like most other places, as having a varying terrain. Here at my house, I can manage to get stuck, but a mere three tenths of a mile up the street the ground is so dry you can dig a ten foot deep hole and stand on dry ground in the bottom. (BTDT)
I have moved almost 100 truck loads of dirt from that property, and it has helped at my house, so 4wd is needed less than it used to be. Plus my driving skills have improved as I get used to just what the 2wd tractor will actually do.
David from jax