Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #51  
With the ground clearance offered by these size tractors, why would you need to remove the belly mower? Can't you just lift it higher off the ground???
Good question? Maybe you can lift it high enuf, but you have to look at the situation, project, and predict without experience at this point. I have a BX, and by seeing what it is capable of I think you can do with just a little more tractor than it is. The things I believe will be most important for you to look for are diifficult to find in one package w/i the SCUT range:
1] Full Cat1 3PH with hydraulics that automatically hold set height.
2] FEL that will handle a Skid Steer Quick Attach.
3] At least one hydraulic remote.
4] HST with more than 20 HP - an easy one to find!
5] Weight more than 1500# before tires are ballasted
6] Live PTO
7] 4wd
8] Industrial tires if its sandy. AGs if the soil is cohesive.
9] Individual L/R brakes.

I think the Kubota B series may be able to provide this, but I dont have experience with them.
larry

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #52  
stimw has it right. Get some goats and you'll never have a grass problem at the edges. However, you will need to replace all of your fences, gates, and hay fork handles!:p

Seriously, we keep both goats and sheep and the pasture is always as neat and tidy as a pin. The goats really are not that bad but we have multi strand electric fence which you would not with horses. They are pretty tame and cute too!

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #53  
[/Get some goats and you'll never have a grass problem at the edges.QUOTE]

How would the potted trees fare???:D

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #54  
Thank you everybody for your comments, I'm learning a LOT! :D Keep the ideas coming.

OK, everybody has convinced me that the no warranty deal on the CC 5264DE is a BAD IDEA.

Comments have also led me to believe this little tractor (CC SC2400) may be just that......too little, BUT,

my property is cross-fenced so much that pulling a bush hog/rear finish mower isn't really feasible, I would have to come behind it with another machine to get into the corners & then a weed wacker for fence lines as well, what a pain in the *****!

So, next uninformed question:

Does the next class size up even offer belly mowers? I haven't seen one.....

I use to brush hog my neighbors fields with a 8n after a couple of rounds I would back in to the corner with blade off and put blade in gear when it was in corner only took about 2 times in each corner to clean it up and I only did it about every other cutting.

With a mid mower you would have to go both directions in to corner and still miss 2-3 ft distance from front End (plus loader) or back in to them then its the distance from the rear tires to deck what ever that is.

I would consider a bx23 too it has a easiest back hoe connection that I've seen (maybe I am little biased). but that sized tractor would be your best bet with or with out backhoe.

tom

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #55  
Foxy, Was thinking 2x20 series Kubota with backhoe myself. Definitely some killer deals on almost new (used) tractors, although probably not on a newer 2x20. Resale is OK.....Everything drops in value the second you sign the papers at the dealer. Kubota and JD hold probably hold their value the best in the long haul. Speaking from experience, it's not worth trading after a few years. Try to get the right machine and stick with it as long as possible.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #56  
I own/use a BX23...Best investment (so far) I've made...Has a 54" mmm along with the backhoe and front loader...HST and is So easy to use...Good luck.

Don

Attachments

• Last one out.jpg
    Last one out.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 1,128
   / Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #57  
Two follow up comments:

In the tree business, you'll never have a need for a backhoe. It's to dig large, deep holes. Seedlings can be planted into shovel dug holes. When its time (in 5 to 10 years) you'll have new technology to remove them (probably a loader spade).

A belly mower is a waste of money because:

1) size is limited by tractor manufacturer unless its aftermarket. You will soon learn that if you have a 5' mower, a 6' would do better. If you a have a 6' mower, a 7' is better, especially if you have trees and the mower is offset.
2) mower resale value is zilch because you need the same tractor in the buyers hands. I have an almost new 6' JD midmower deck I can't give away. You need to have the mid-pto kit and install it ($1000 alone) and that's all it drives.
3) ground clearance is drastically reduced even if its raised to the fullest.
4) if the belly mower is rear pto driven, you have to disconnect it to use any other pto equipment.
5) Removal and installation is time consuming and often frustrating, especially if you don't have a hard floor to work on, It needs to be slid around to line up pins, shafts and links.

If cutting corners (so to speak) is a problem for you, do as I do, put round "corners" in your fences. They are just as strong as squared corners. These are easy to mow even with a rear mower, better and more easy with a front mower. (My final purchase after starting with a 6' belly, then a 5' rear rotary, then a 7' rear finish with gator blades, then a JD F935 finish with gator shredder blades. Set the pasture height to anything you want. Add a powered leaf vacuum to suck up the grass, weed seeds, manure and old horse shoes. Won't matter what its made of.

I suggest poster's study the original question. This is a startup deal and many of us have entered the terminal stage having optimized the equipment and landscape procedures that now make for an efficient operation with minimal investment, work and cost.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #58  
Two follow up comments:

In the tree business, you'll never have a need for a backhoe. It's to dig large, deep holes. Seedlings can be planted into shovel dug holes. When its time (in 5 to 10 years) you'll have new technology to remove them (probably a loader spade).

A belly mower is a waste of money because:

1) size is limited by tractor manufacturer unless its aftermarket. You will soon learn that if you have a 5' mower, a 6' would do better. If you a have a 6' mower, a 7' is better, especially if you have trees and the mower is offset.
2) mower resale value is zilch because you need the same tractor in the buyers hands. I have an almost new 6' JD midmower deck I can't give away. You need to have the mid-pto kit and install it ($1000 alone) and that's all it drives.
3) ground clearance is drastically reduced even if its raised to the fullest.
4) if the belly mower is rear pto driven, you have to disconnect it to use any other pto equipment.
5) Removal and installation is time consuming and often frustrating, especially if you don't have a hard floor to work on, It needs to be slid around to line up pins, shafts and links.

If cutting corners (so to speak) is a problem for you, do as I do, put round "corners" in your fences. They are just as strong as squared corners. These are easy to mow even with a rear mower, better and more easy with a front mower. (My final purchase after starting with a 6' belly, then a 5' rear rotary, then a 7' rear finish with gator blades, then a JD F935 finish with gator shredder blades. Set the pasture height to anything you want. Add a powered leaf vacuum to suck up the grass, weed seeds, manure and old horse shoes. Won't matter what its made of.

I suggest poster's study the original question. This is a startup deal and many of us have entered the terminal stage having optimized the equipment and landscape procedures that now make for an efficient operation with minimal investment, work and cost.

Didn't mean to rile ya zzvyb6...Reading your post is making me think about getting rid of my mmm...:D

Don

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #59  
Outfox,

You asked the question about the tax deduction. You can find some info about it here.

JohnDeere - Grounds Care - Economic Stiulus- Economic Stimulus Act

Basicly under the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008, you can expense the first $250,000 of capital investment and take a 50% 澱onus first-year depreciation on commercial equipment.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #60