Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #61  
There have been a lot of opinions expressed here and some very good ones. I would suggest that you visit some dealers tell them what you are planning and listen to their opinions and offers. Sit on the tractors, see how they feel to you when you drive them around. See how all of the seats, levers, pedals, etc. fit you. Once you have decided on a brand and model, come back and see what opinions TBN'ers have on your choices. So far from what I have observed, I would not go the subcompact route. A compact would probably have more versatility for your needs. But again it is ultimately your decision. Good luck on your search and keep us informed. We love spending other peoples money.:D:D:D

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #62  
As I understand it, which may not be correct, the purchase of any equipment (subject to maximums) in 2008 that will used in a business is included. I beleive that means any business....

But again I am not 100% certain I understand it, talk to your CPA.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice
Wow, you guys have been so extremely helpful, thank you all.

Now considering Compact size vs sub-compact, but hubby says the big knobby tires will tear up our ground which as someone else pointed out can get a little soggy in the summer. (Technically we live in the Green Swamp, which shelters the head waters of 5 Florida rivers)

Anyone want to comment on that?

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #64  
Wow, you guys have been so extremely helpful, thank you all.

Now considering Compact size vs sub-compact, but hubby says the big knobby tires will tear up our ground which as someone else pointed out can get a little soggy in the summer. (Technically we live in the Green Swamp, which shelters the head waters of 5 Florida rivers)

Anyone want to comment on that?

Well, there are big knobby tires that can/might tear up the soil a bit - IF you spin the wheels and/or turn tight in 4WD.
Then there are the other kind, that might not churn up anything, you just sit there and watch 'em turn - goin' nowhere fast.
There are folk on this board who MIGHT have a little buyer's remorse about turf tires or R4s.

I don't have specs to compare, but would GUESS that the wider tires on the bigger tractor just might put down a lower ground pressure.
Add to that their greater diameter and I think you'll find they are LESS likely to rut up the ground - within "proper use".

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #65  
Well, there are big knobby tires that can/might tear up the soil a bit - IF you spin the wheels and/or turn tight in 4WD.
Then there are the other kind, that might not churn up anything, you just sit there and watch 'em turn - goin' nowhere fast.
There are folk on this board who MIGHT have a little buyer's remorse about turf tires or R4s.

I don't have specs to compare, but would GUESS that the wider tires on the bigger tractor just might put down a lower ground pressure.
Add to that their greater diameter and I think you'll find they are LESS likely to rut up the ground - within "proper use".

Nicely stated......I agree...go with turf tires. For the same wheel diameter, they are the widest. Some go with R4's as a compromise between Turfs & Ag (R1 AKA Knobby) tires. However, if your property is fairly flat & as wet as you are inferring, I would still recommend turfs. Unfortunately, I think we just opened up the flood gates on this specific topic. :D:D

Vic

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #66  
If I lived in Florida,I'd get the highest tractor possible,I don't like alligators or water moccassins. Can you get tires that are gator proof? plowking

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #67  
Tire type.... Depends....

Each tire type has advantages and disadvantages.....

No intention of startining anouther tire war, but I live nearby and would have the following questions.

What kind of tires are on the tractor that you can get a screaming deal on?
How wet is your property?
Do you have anouther vehicle (and person) around to pull you out? - Turfs generally more likely to get stuck but easier to get out when stuck, R4's little less likely to get stuck but little harder to get out when stuck, R1's least likely to get stuck, but hardest to get out.
What type of soil, sand or muck is on your place? - Could be either in your area.
What will tractors primary use be? - Mowing, towing a trailer or ground engaging.
What do your neighbors have? - They have experience my guess is R1.
How likely are you to get a flat? - Turfs generaly get more, R1's a few less, R4's the least, at least in the tires shipped from MFG, BUT there are some exceptions in aftermarket tires.
How important is a pristeen lawn to you?
Do you intend to put weights on your tractor?

I live nearby and think that R4's are the best tire type for me. They dont tear up my lawn at all, and are least likely to get a flat.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #68  
Actual tread type aside (for the moment) I'm guessing that the greater width and larger diameter of bigger tires on bigger tractors is less likely to lead to rutting in wet soil than the smaller tires of smaller tractors, even though those smaller tractors are lighter.

Back to tread type, for tractors around 40~50 HP there isn't much difference in width between a turf and an R4, say 17.5L vs 18.00x44 ? and the R4 is a bit higher.
The R1 is what ? maybe 12.5 or 13.5x28, quite a bit narrower than either.

There are more than enough other threads on this forum extolling the virtues of high, narrow and aggressive tires to GRIP with vs "flotation" tires to reduce ground pressure vs "compromise" tires that might provide the best and/or worst of both.
I currently have two of the three types, good enough for what I do.

Last edited:
   / Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #69  
Here is a pic of my tractor with R-4's. I would not have any other tire! They are easy on my grass and with 4WD hard to get stuck.

Attachments

• 000_0601.jpg
    000_0601.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 198
   / Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #70  
I'll second the suggestion to visit the (almost)nearby Branson dealer.
You should be able to find a "right sized tractor" there for a lot less than the usual Big 3 (or 4).
Once you figure out what that right size is... with which transmission... and what wheels/tires you want on it...
Just don't fall down the "finance" trap; nothing is for nothing.
Unless you can get zero percent AND zero payments until THREE 0 0 NINE.