Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #1  

outfox

OK guys, I know NOTHING.

I have 6+ acres in Florida with horses on the property. Also starting a small tree nursery, 30Gallon size or less. I want to buy a small tractor I can handle myself to do the "big" jobs.

Mowing pastures (must mow at 6" minimum)
Moving dirt/manure/hay
Grading
Possible auger for post installation (fencing)

I'm considering the Cub Cadet/Yanmar SC2400

main concerns:
fair price
dependability
service availability
operator comfort

Help! Didn't want to post in Cub Cadet section because I want to know what other manufacturers offer, my Dad is a John Deere diehard but I want to be an informed consumer and happy tractor owner.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #3  
With the tree farm I would suggest kubota BX 25,24,23, with backhoe. It sure makes diggin the holes for the trees real easy. It is small enough to use around the stables. I use mine every day to move horse poop.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice
Tree farm will probably be container based, so would use FEL to prepare beds and move trees for pot ups and shipping purposes.

My budget is tight, don't want to over buy, but don't want to have to upgrade right away either.

What is the resale value like on any of these units?

I'm sure my Dad would find any tractor attractive regardless of brand. :D

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #5  
The Cub/Yanmar machines are new to the market. Not much out there on what parts/service will be like long term. There are some great deals out there if you have cash to pay for a newer used machine, lots of good 0% terms as well. I'd personly want little larger tractor for what your doing. Like a B-series Kubota, 2320+ Deere, etc. I'd checkout the Kubota B2320, or the older version the B7510.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice
OK, dealer just offered me a 2007 Cub Cadet 5264DE with 60" mover, FEL, 26HP brand new, never used for $8975, the catch is, no warranty offered. Engine is a Daihaitsu??

Was initially attracted to the SC2400 for the Yanmar partnership, this model doesn't offer that but then the price is attractive.....

Bring on the comments!!

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #7  
OK, dealer just offered me a 2007 Cub Cadet 5264DE with 60" mover, FEL, 26HP brand new, never used for $8975, the catch is, no warranty offered. Engine is a Daihaitsu??

Was initially attracted to the SC2400 for the Yanmar partnership, this model doesn't offer that but then the price is attractive.....

Bring on the comments!!
must be something wrong with it is why no warranty.

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #8  
Bring on the comments!!

Can't help on the Cub Cadet offer but over the course of years I noted that the initial outlay should be carefully considered especially in a tight budget situation as I've always been. Many times one tries to economize initially only to have to anty up more later on when deficiencies become apparent.:D:D:D

/ Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #9  

Bring on the comments!!

Is the warranty "unbundled" ?
i.e. Is this a pricing trick to get it under $9K, followed by an add-on sale of a warranty (defects insurance policy) when you go to sign ?
You probably don't know this yet, but do ASK before you settle.

Like;
Is warranty available ?
How Much ?
....pause, other questions
Can't you add the warranty back in for free to seal the deal ?

DAIHATSU
They make a LOT of small cars in Japan and all over the Pacific rim, Europe too.
Also marine and industrial small diesel engines.
Not sure of this, but I think New Holland has used their 3 cylinder diesels in some of their models, maybe still does.

Last edited:
   / Girl needs sub compact tractor purchasing advice #10  
What is the resale value like on any of these units?

Traded my 1988 JD 650/FEL/BH in this year for my new JD 2320. Paid $14,500.00 for the 650 new, the dealer allowed me $10,500.00 on trade in.