Tractor Buying Pricing??

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #11  
I've seent he same locally.. hard to pry a price out of them unless you have a checkbook in hand and are pretty much committed to making a purchase from them.

soundguy

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #12  
For first time buyers who aren't real clear about what brand or model or even necessarily about what size of tractor they're REALLY looking for; not having a price basis for them to even BEGIN the first step in either choosing or eliminating a brand or model can be frustrating. And aggravating...

If you know right from the git go that a model or brand is way out of your budget it can sure save you some time and you can start lookin' elsewhere.

But... it's not a hurdle that can't be cleared. It just takes a bit more time and digging. Maybe a shot glass more commitment than say; buying a car..

And from that time and commitment, maybe you come out of it with a good dealer and the best tractor fit for your budget and purposes (at least that's the whole idea).

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #13  
Bedlam.. I know you're not a first time buyer ---

But, I do believe the lack of readily available price listing's for tractors (all Ag equipment..) really puts many people off... and can make some folk's back up and look for an easier way to get what they want.

Maybe used - from a friend or neighbor; eBay, auctions, etc. That way you at least have some idea of "what's reasonable" and fair based upon what everyone else is willing to pay.

/ Tractor Buying Pricing??
My letters were send via E-Mail.

No Im not a new time buyer. But I thought on this and two things come to mind that possibly are unique to me.
One is that I feel guilty in taking the salesmans time (and mine). But if that how it works I think I just need to play by their rule and go from one tractor to the next taking notes and numbers. And going home and deciding.

The other thing is im a more of a quick sale guy
I want that how much
OK how about this?? No Im not financing. I truly believe that they feel someone who just comes in and wants the numbers isn't a dedicated buyer, Ironic thing is I think they dont like cash.They seem to push the credit a bit to much for me.
I know what I want and for what price, I'm not going to be buying something I don't have the cash for. Or go into debt for.
One point for me Is they seem to display the=m right next to the road. I wonder how many people they loose as a customer because people assume its too much, when they can indeed afford it.
My dad always feels as though he needs to buy right away,. because he has taken the salesmans time .
I was at a car dealership showed them the add. this is the car I want.
X amount, and they started with the you need a radio. i said again this car this price.
I don't want to waste your time how much for the trade in. He said we will talk first, and went on about the options etc.
The he finally told be 1500 dollars trade.
I had jst bought this truck from my cousin for 4500.LOL
Then he went balistic when I said no deal.Now had he just looked into the trade and told me how much first he might have made a sale.
I am no thinking we shouldn't care about the salesmans time. its their job.

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #15  
I have to disagree with Messick on this one, It very well may be that to the dealer. MSRP and "other supposedly" list prices are totally useless, To me, I see it as somewhat keeping honest dealers honest and those that are not, open to scrutiny by the public. As I have said over and over and over,, why is a basic machine of XYZ, and matching this exact XYZ for XYZ, 500 miles apart, in some situtations, thousands and thousands of dollars different, You can tell me all day that shipping is different for different areas.. I owned and operated tractor trailer units for 18 yrs and have a pretty good handle on the difference of 500 miles delivery,, Believe me when I say,, it can be up to $300.00, not $8-9,000,00. Big, big difference, When Neil said a dealer can say anything for a list price,, this is exactly the problem. The MSRP sheets were forced on auto makers because of this exact problem. Dealers of the same product on opposite ends of the same town, often had hundreds if not thousands in difference. There has to be a reasonable starting point. Otherwise it is like the old car dealers, Whatever you get away with, you do.. You are also, not a very honest dealer,

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #16  

Recently i was in the mood to purchase some equipment, and had to deal with salesman.I decided to use what some might thing a different approach.
I sat down and searched the net for what I wanted for options, then I wrote out a letter explaining that I was in the market for a new machine.I gave all the options that I wanted , and sent this letter to many local dealers. (within 200 miles).
My first reaction was that none would reply.I was pretty much right, out of the 8 i sent, I got a reply from two.:rolleyes:
The first one was a reply via-email. I was quite turned off by it, as it seemed to be just a general form email they would send out.At this point I determined that this strategy wouldn't work.
However I received an email the next day for a company that was about 1 1/2 hour ride away. It replied with a price and each option priced out, and also a few suggestions.
I was impressed .Int he next week I had no responses from any other dealers, even one Ive dealt with for 35 years.(although resold).
Within a week I received a call for the company that emailed me the only quote. Again impressed. we spoke at length, and I realized he did a bit of effort to find my phone number.Again impressed.
I did however feel that I should try to deal with my original dealer, and went to try to.
I was quite un -impressed this time around
I had to wait first for the sales man to return , and then for him to deal with another customer.finally my time on the seat.He was less than enthusiastic to try to sell to me.
We left it that I would email some picture of the trade in and he would get back to me.fair enough.
Well long story short,I sent the pics and nothing. Several calls and nothing.
I agree that with the size of the company now im the small peanuts guy. But their client base included me when they took over the company.
Well sorry for the rant. my question is.

Why is it that (at least my end of the world) dealers don't see a need to at least have a ''sticker'' price on the tractor . Like auto dealers do.

(This same dealer used to have a tag on the tractor with the price .)of cource negotiable

I am sure if the car dealers didn't, you'd have me looking to buy a corvettee.LOL

It's pretty easy to find out the sticker price of a new tractor without leaving your favorite chair. Just invest $20 in the latest edition of the Official Tractor Blue Book. For example, the 2008 edition has the approximate retail price new for 2007 models and models going back to 1939. With the 2007 data in hand you can estimate the cost of the 2008 model close enough for sorting through the different models/manufacturers.

Lol
I think my money would be better spent going to the dealer and finding the prices. Remember I was never looking for the selling price. I say ballpark. Thats just what I mean.
I pass by a dual axle trailer homemade everyday and theres a sign that says 6,000 dollars.Its been there for years 5 or 6 I laugh at it as its so ridiculous,Worth maybe 2000 or so but far from 6000 dollars. but at least there is a price.
Let me ask this has anyone passed a car for sale on the road? I'm sure you have. Isn't it far more chance you'll even stop if there is a price on it?? You know you can negotiate.
I get a kick when I sell something and put firm on it. people still try to bargain. I cant blame them really but my intention was that I priced it low enough and don't want to play the game.
Its all physiological plain and simple the dealers have designed and kept it this was for a reason.

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #18  
I think LarryRB hit the reason many dealer's don't want or won't readily provide prices -- they're hopin' to stymie good 'ol fashioned competition.

If somebody comes in the door and they haven't done their "homework" -- well, they're at a big disadvantage right from the get go! And there are those folk's who come in and they're not interested in "haggling" or workin' on a deal -- they'll either jump or not -- and many times they've already got their mind made up; that's the tractor I WANT and they'll pay what the salesman asks.

So, if your price isn't out there, front and center -- well, there's a chance you can "make it anything you want"...

The Roman's had it down a long time ago -- Caveat emptor -- "buyer beware".

AKfish

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #19  
Just a thought, If I were to put a MSRP and option sheet on the new tractors like you find on new car windows, how would I keep someone from tearing it off and taking it with them. I am sure they wouldn't stay with the tractor very long. Once I tried chaining a enclosed spec sheet to the tractors and they didn't stay there long. Just a thought for you to ponder.

I guess overall Its me.
I should and do now understand that the dealers prefer it this way, and I need not feel as if I am wasting their time. If I go to dealer number one to get my homework done and he or she says x amount, I then have to go to dealer 2 and get a price and compare. Then If its lower, I have to decide if dealer 1 deserves a second shot at it.Of coerce I could also involve a dealer number 3 and so on.Depending on what area of miles id wish to cover.
I have one particular dealer I've dealt with over the years, but even there It would be nice to walk the line of tractors and see the ball park.
Again its all from my viewpoint, I'm the one who has to accept it and only be concerned of the time I waste of mine.
I would like to add tho that I feel strongly about the attachments being priced but again.I have a dealer that I know has the best for less so I automatically eliminate some of the others. I never thought this was a good way to look at it but its reality.
Thanks all for the input,As the news caster says
'And thats the way it is'