Tractor Buying Pricing??

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #1  

Bedlam

Veteran Member

Recently i was in the mood to purchase some equipment, and had to deal with salesman.I decided to use what some might thing a different approach.
I sat down and searched the net for what I wanted for options, then I wrote out a letter explaining that I was in the market for a new machine.I gave all the options that I wanted , and sent this letter to many local dealers. (within 200 miles).
My first reaction was that none would reply.I was pretty much right, out of the 8 i sent, I got a reply from two.:rolleyes:
The first one was a reply via-email. I was quite turned off by it, as it seemed to be just a general form email they would send out.At this point I determined that this strategy wouldn't work.
However I received an email the next day for a company that was about 1 1/2 hour ride away. It replied with a price and each option priced out, and also a few suggestions.
I was impressed .Int he next week I had no responses from any other dealers, even one Ive dealt with for 35 years.(although resold).
Within a week I received a call for the company that emailed me the only quote. Again impressed. we spoke at length, and I realized he did a bit of effort to find my phone number.Again impressed.
I did however feel that I should try to deal with my original dealer, and went to try to.
I was quite un -impressed this time around
I had to wait first for the sales man to return , and then for him to deal with another customer.finally my time on the seat.He was less than enthusiastic to try to sell to me.
We left it that I would email some picture of the trade in and he would get back to me.fair enough.
Well long story short,I sent the pics and nothing. Several calls and nothing.
I agree that with the size of the company now im the small peanuts guy. But their client base included me when they took over the company.
Well sorry for the rant. my question is.

Why is it that (at least my end of the world) dealers don't see a need to at least have a ''sticker'' price on the tractor . Like auto dealers do.

(This same dealer used to have a tag on the tractor with the price .)of cource negotiable

I am sure if the car dealers didn't, you'd have me looking to buy a corvettee.LOL

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #2  
Sounds like you found your new dealer

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #3  
Sounds like you found your new dealer

I agree. IMHO the dealership is more important in the long run than tractor "color". Jay

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #4  
Why is it that (at least my end of the world) dealers don't see a need to at least have a ''sticker'' price on the tractor . Like auto dealers do.

Because the stiker price, MSRP, or whatever is totally meaningless in our business. We don't use it for anything. I realize some people would like to know... if so, I'll kindly make one up for you as it would have the same amount of weight in the selling process.

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #5  
It amazes me how many people who are in sales are simply "not good" at it. I actually "teach" sales at my work and at least half the people are not in it because they have passion for customer service, more like they just "need a job" and want to be an overall mediocre performer in life.

The enthusiasm of the sales dept is an indicator of the long term relationship to me - lousy sales, head for the hills.

My uncle has a saying, "there must be too many rich people out there, nobody seems to want to do business with me."

/ Tractor Buying Pricing??
Messickfarm,

I got the feeling that you a dealer more in touch with the people.Thought of you as I wrote this.
I just feel that it would save allot of my time and the sales people if I had an idea as to the price range.Its no different than here in one auto zone they have the price on the item yet go to a more ''local'' parts store and theres tools etc on racks and no prices. I don't think as many people are going to wait in line and ask OK. what the pliers cost ? and so on and on.Id also be more apt to buy on impulse if it were marked.I In a recent post on here I talked about a JD that I had seen out in front of a dealership.,I probably wouldn't have posted in here if I had known the 'ballpark' price for it.
I'm almost embarrassed with asking that info on here.even though I know people would be fine with it.
I suspect int he future, and the economy that we might see some more pricing out in the open, and hopefully more dealers seeing that the INTERNET is also good for them to get sales.And product info out there..Certaily to me the TBN forums gives a better "review' than when you see click here for reviews on an item.
Thanks for the reply ...Al

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #7  
Understanding your points on why you would like to see the price on the machine, however, pricing in my opinion should be at the end of the sale. You don't want to buy a tractor just because of price. The customer needs to be "qualified" or "fitted" to a piece of equipment. Not sold on price alone. If you come in say on a Sunday and look at MSRP, it might scare you away, but talking to a good salesman, you might find out that there is a different option or model that might suit you better. If you have a good salesman that knows his crap, you will both be happier in the end. A customer with the right piece of equipment is a customer for life. That being said, you do need the have a good salesman.
Oh, did you send your letter USPS or E-mail?

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #8  
Not sure what brands of tractor you are interested in, but there is a lot of pricing information available on the internet.

Here at tractorbynet.com a lot of people discuss tractor prices, you might be able to search and find useful info.

Many tractor manufacturers have pricing information and specifications available on the web, I know for sure that Case/IH, John Deere, and Kubota have this.

Next you can check sites such as tractorhouse.com and see the asking prices for a lot of new and used machines.

I understand exactly where you are coming from though, you need the list or MSRP prices for the various tractors as a starting point in your search.

Perhaps I'm just lucky but I seem to have several good dealers locally that will spend time with me, follow up, give out pricing info.

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #9  
I understand exactly where you are coming from though, you need the list or MSRP prices for the various tractors as a starting point in your search.

The problem here is that the difference between MSRP and an actual selling price is different between brands, and even within a brand itself. Looking at the MSRP of a BX or a GR series tractor could be a common thing for someone to do, however the gap between the two is not nearly as wide as the list price would lead you to believe.

/ Tractor Buying Pricing?? #10  
The problem here is that the difference between MSRP and an actual selling price is different between brands, and even within a brand itself. Looking at the MSRP of a BX or a GR series tractor could be a common thing for someone to do, however the gap between the two is not nearly as wide as the list price would lead you to believe.

For me not seeing a price on the tractor is a good thing. Unlike buying a vehicle, I think there is more wiggle room with farm equipment, package deals, etc.