Is old JD worth it?

/ Is old JD worth it? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Found an old John Deere model 1010. The man said he didn't know how old it is, but said probably 1970's. Sold his property & doesn't need it. He's had it 3-4 years and it just got a rebuilt motor when he bought it. He doesn't have any idea how many hours on it & said it doesn't "use oil". He probably put about 50-75 hrs. on it himself. It has a 5' bushhog, a ginpole???, and a post-hole digger. Oh yeah, & an extra set of blades. Man says he hasn't started it in about 3 weeks, but we can go over there & he guarantees it will start right up. I don't need anything I have to work on, since I'm not mechanically inclined - just the gas & oil thing for me! He wants $4,000 for it.
What do you think??? Is it a good price for such an oldie?
Am I asking for trouble?
Thanks for you input.

/ Is old JD worth it? #2  
I believe the 1010 was built in the early 60's. It was, if I remember correctly, the first tractor in that size class with more than two cylinders and replaced the model 430 (last of the 2-cylinder tractors in the M, 40, 420, and 430 sequence). The only big difference in the tractor from the 430 is the engine. It was made in Dubuque, IA.
I would expect the tractor to be of good quality (my JD420 ran well for me and my dad for better than 40 years). I would not expect it to be something that does not need some mechanical ability on your part from time to time. No tractor is like that. If me, and with your non-interest in mechanical things, I would make sure I had a good dealer within easy reach to take care of you.
The price is not cheap, but is average, in my estimation. These tractors are collector items for some. That brings the price up a bit and may not be of interest to you. If the tractor has good metal, then it will bring that price from someone who wants to restore it.

/ Is old JD worth it? #3  
You can go here you can get a "blue book" value which shows prices from $2797 to $5450 depending on the condition and options. This site shows that model being made between 1960 and 1965. It will also tell you a lot about the tractor. This should give you a good head start. Good Luck!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

46-147410-88773-1.jpg

Attachments

• 46-147410-88773-1.jpg
    46-147410-88773-1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 106
   / Is old JD worth it? #4  
I sold a 1010 last year for $3,000, it was in pretty good shape. To my knowledge the engine had never been rebuilt and it only showed 2500 hours. I used it for 6 years. The only problem I had was the getting the PTO to disenage. I couldn't get it adjusted right and even had the tractor broken in half to see if it needed rebuilding. Never did solve the problem.

Now mine didn't have power steering. Also, and they don't have much power. That 5 ft mower is all that it can handle, and in high grass, you'll be pulling in 2nd gear. It OK if you just want to mess around on a few acre, but don't buy it if you're going to do some serious work. You can buy a pretty good old diesel tractor with power steering in the 5,000 range. I just used mine to mow up and down roadways and move a few roll of hay, and plow a garden.

Just my opinion, maybe others had better use of theirs.

/ Is old JD worth it? #5  
I have a 1010. Mine is a 61 the hours stopped in the 5000's. It was a cousins of my wifes. seezed up and sat for about ? many years. a family freind bought it got it running, and I bought it from him three years ago. I am slowly restoring it. I did put a loader on it which it can handle since mine has power steering. would not want one with out power steering. I use it for brush hogging. I have paid for the tractor by doing this. I have also put many hours keeping it running and it has even caused a few( bad) words /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif to be uttered from me in the shop. The 1010's were made for about 5 years. If you talk with guys who know about old tractors the 1010 is one of those hate them or love tractors. Like what was mentioned before, if you are not into "up keep" on a tractor beside gas and oil. the 1010 is somthing I would stay away from. By the way I paid 3000 for this one three years ago

/ Is old JD worth it? #6  
The 1010 was part of the "New Generation". The machine has plenty of good points like comfort and design. But like any "introductory" model, it had a few bugs that were worked out later with the 1020. I have seen a few of these around. Be cautuious of "gas jobs" because they were designed for leaded fuel. If someone has been running it for years on unleaded gas, you may be looking at a valve job in your future. Be patient and the "right" tractor will come around.