What should I do?

/ What should I do? #21  
I own 143 acres with about 35 still classified as cleared. I am using a 28 hp Jinma 4wd to perform the tasks you have outlined and have been extremely happy with it to date. I too tried the atv route and had experiences similar to yours. I also tried the two wheel tractor route and would not recommend that approach. The former owner of my property had a Timberjack skidder and used it extensively --- I think he damaged more than he harvested and it is his damage that I harvest for firewood. When I have really big stems to get out now I wait until winter and call my neighbour to bring over his team of Percherons (amazing what one or two real horsepower can do).
All this to say I think you are on the right track -- do a little comparison shopping and get a 4wd 25- 35hp tractor, FEL, hydraulic top link, shuttle shift and try and save enough cash for the blower, rotary mower, PHD,winch etc. I don't think you will be disappointed - JMHO
Regards
Steve

/ What should I do? #22  
Although having family at the New Holland dealership may be a good reason NOT to do business there, I think you would generally be pleased with a TC30. The TC30 is a reliable tractor and fits your price and weight objectives. The only modification I would recommend is to get an LC102 Woods loader which has nearly double the lift capacity of the NH 110 loader and comes with a quick-a-tach bucket so you can easily switch to forks. Bottom line...you won't be disappointed with a TC30...but make sure you buy from a dealer you enjoy.
Partspring original New Holland parts.

/ What should I do? #23  
I really don't have a dog in this fight. Just pointing out a fact.
I agree a tractor that weighs more should be able to pull more but it didn't sound like he is going into the timber business anyway.

/ What should I do? #24  
I really don't have a dog in this fight. Just pointing out a fact.
I agree a tractor that weighs more should be able to pull more but it didn't sound like he is going into the timber business anyway.

In fact, there's such a thing as having too much weight when working in the woods, especially in wet conditions (which is especially common in the north with all its snow, sleet/ice, freezing/thawing, etc.) Many of the vehicles designed to work in the woods are "high flotation" by design, with either tracks or large tires (typically used with chains), because of this...

There are several ways to deal with the "brute force" needed to drag logs, including shidding arches, winches to pick up one end (typically the butt end), etc -- and as a last resort, the hydraulic winch and long cable to repeatedly winch the logs to you, while keeping the vehicle on more solid ground...

Here's one company's way of modifying and using tractors to work in these conditions:

http://www.payeur.com/En/products/LeForestier.htm

/ What should I do? #25  
A kit of old time farmers have snaked a lot of logs out of the woods with the old Ford 8-9N's. The 2500 pound 4wd tractors will get the job done, but it will take a little time and careful thought. May I suggest you look at a Mahindra 2816 gear or hst tractor.

/ What should I do? #26  
I love my little Power Trac PT425 articulated tractor in the woods for getting firewood. It only weighs 1500 pounds and can lift 800. But it is not big enough for lumber sized logs by itself. Just doesn't have the oomph to drag them. But with the addition of a logging arch I am fairly confident I could get 2000 pound logs out of the woods quite easily.

Now, the next size up Power Trac PT1430 with good tires, a grapple on the front and a logging arch on the back could get a lot of wood out of a forest while not damaging the ground nearly as much as a conventional tractor.

/ What should I do? #27  
I have skidded many logs over the years with my 1952 Case VAC,diameters approaching 30 inches up to 16' long. The HP on the VAC in only about 15hp but the big wheels in the back,ag tires,and nearly indistructible clutch does the job. Get the butt well off the ground. If log is too heavy or ground is mushy,sometimes have to cut some length off the log.

/ What should I do? #28  
I think you ought to modify your wieght limit and get something that weighs on the order of 4500 lbs. Most companies have offerings in this size that will lift 2000+ lbs(minus bucket). Used tractors in this size now(not last year) are going for 15-18k. I would get the biggest 4wd tractor with the least hp, since you won't be needing the hp for much(lift and stability is much more important).

A TC30 is may work, but I have the next size up(TC 35, TC40, TC45), and it fits the description.

Chris

/ What should I do? #29  
As others have said the 3500 lbs weight limit is eliminating all your other requests. Just too light. You need something at least the size of a Kubota grand L30 or L40 series. Maybe around 40 hp. Put fluid in the tires and weights on the wheels and you can do some pretty serious work. But still the tractor is compact enough to haul on a bobcat trailer. Of course we are talking about a 6000 lbs tractor here.

Is moving up to a heavier trailer out of the question? A 12K GVW trailer would be perfect... and at least a 2500 truck. Get's expensive quick... I know! :)

Good luck man and be safe in the woods!

/ What should I do? #30  
While when you have a hammer, every problem can look like a nail. You might want to think outside the box on this one.

Our old farm was logged with a ford N8, doing what you describe. Worked OK; you just had to think about where the trees were going to be dropped and how you were going to skid it from there.

Of course, if you have any roller over concerns...Forget it.

I currently have a Power Trac 1445, a 45HP diesel, lifts 1800lbs.

PT-1445-4in1-bucket.jpg

I would seriously consider it the Powertrac machines due to their low center of gravity, but I would also suggest that a skidding sling/trailer will greatly reduce your power needs, at the price of having to hook one up. There exist versions with dual wheels that give these machines excellent slope ratings to 45 degrees, and great flotation on wet bogs.

As a professional forester, I am sure you are well aware of the safety issues involved in proper skidding of timber on slopes.

You didn't mention where you are, but I'd suggest that you might want to test drive one. One of the forum members uses his in Colorado to log and skid trees up very steep slopes with a hydraulic winch of the variety that KentT suggested.

Good luck!

Peter