What's the smallest practical HP/Tractor you'd consider?

/ What's the smallest practical HP/Tractor you'd consider? #111  
See.. that's the issue. i didn't discredit pat's claim.. I merely said it wasn't doing the OP any good to considder that the only answer.

Numerous times I've said that Pat's answer -MAY- fall right into place. In fact my last message said that.

I believe many people here, including pat, only read a sentance or two.. find something they disagree about.. then reply never reading the entire message .

At this point I'm withdrawing from the conversation.. I hope the OP gets something between a lawnmower and a 250hp 8 wheeled ag monster machine and it works well for him.

soundguy

Trouble is Soundguy that almost every recommendation on tractors is anecdotally supported. Yours and mine included. It isn't correct or fair to claim that someone elses anecdotal experience is insignificant. Indeed, if you think scientifically you'd want to get a sample of opinions from people with similar characteristics to the test case (the OP). Patrick is by far the closest in terms of doing the sort of work the OP wants to do.

We are really not talking about statistics here but if you were to simply weight responses according to how relevant they are, Patrick's responses should be weighted significantly higher most as he is carrying out essentially the same type and scale of work. Certainly his responses are more to the point and relevant than someone who clears brush in Rhode Island or who mows a lot in Florida. Getting a range of opinions is what is great about TBN but that doesn't mean that every opinion should have equal weight.

/ What's the smallest practical HP/Tractor you'd consider? #112  
250hp 8 wheeled ag monster machine

Wouldn't that be one of the smaller articulated tractors offered? :D

/ What's the smallest practical HP/Tractor you'd consider? #113  
And the gnawing commences from another angle. Some of God's creatures are very pernicious indeed when trying to get to access a food source!:D

Ain't it the truth, Egon. I have welded wire cattle pannels as a "fence" between an inside the hay barn feeding area with watering capability, feed troughs and such and the rest of the barn (hay storage mostly...) The stock stick their noses through the small square holes in the fence to eat at the bales piled on the other side but worse yet and more recently, last couple days or so...

They tore an approximately 10x10 ft door off its BRAND NEW TRACK and got at the hay bales stored in the smallish space that got them into. Helps explain the lowered consumption at the round bale feeder. I didn't notice immediately as I have only been accessing round bales from the opposite side of the barn. Oh well, I guess I needed another project. Later when it gets light I will be trying to freeze proof a short vinyl water hose. I will try electrical heater tape and foam plastic insulating sleeves. Wish me luck.

Pat

/ What's the smallest practical HP/Tractor you'd consider? #114  
OP--I am not as technical as most of these guys--I have a 2WD 5203, 56 hp, and a 4WD 5325 67 HP. Not a lot of difference in HP. The 5325 is heavier and longer and has completely different handling and stability to it. Of course, since I do a lot of dirt work, the 4WD accounts for itself well. Although I like the 5203, I will eventually get rid of it and keep the 5325 because it is capable of doing so much more than the 5203.

Of course, after buying the 5203, I found more work to do than I had originally planned.

This does not directly answer your question about the minimum HP, but the comment several posters made about weight and size are right on IMO and certainly have proven it out in my limited experience with these smaller utility tractors.

Good luck with the hunt.

/ What's the smallest practical HP/Tractor you'd consider? #115  
It is my understanding Pat that some rodents must gnaw at whatever is available as their teeth grow continuously. The gnawing habit is essential to keep the teeth at the proper length.:D

This morning I have been looking at Washington State farmland on Goggle Earth. From what I can notice the OP must be lost among all those Small 250 HP. farm tractors on the dealers lot while he is looking for a large 70 or so HP two wheel drive unit!:D

In another lifetime I had the opportunity to drive across Washington State several times. The eastern farmland did seem to go on forever and then a day. Sorta like North Dakota but maybe longer.:D More hills and no out wash channels.:D