Engine performance specs

/ Engine performance specs #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
I notice lot's of mention of "torque rise" and HPin the OEM's marketing, but I don't see any graphs. I would like to see the whole picture of torque and HP at RPM.

Where can I see performance graphs for the engines used by Kubota, New Holland TC, TN and John Deere 4x10, and 5000?

These are a given when comparing pickup trucks, I am surprised that they are so elusive in the tractor world,

/ Engine performance specs
My NH dealer says they don't publish this info. Does anyone have a lead, or is this really hopeless?

/ Engine performance specs #3  
The only one I have seen is for the JD 6000 series engines, but these are (I think) the same 4.5L 4 cylinder engines you will find in the 5420 and 5520 (the 5320 and down use a smaller 3 cylinder engine) from Deere. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://products.deere.com/Deere/agsales/asm/s2/6010/6010st11.htm>here</A> is a link to a chart showing the HP and torque VS RPM curves for this engine. I am not sure where you could find them for the NH or for the Kubota engines.

I feel pretty confident that any of these three manufacturers would produce engines which are more than capable of doing the work you would need to do. I love to compare specs as it seems you do, but I would be willing to bet that the manufacturers of these diesel engines probably do their best to "keep up with the Joneses" by making sure that their specs are all about the same in a given engine class.

/ Engine performance specs #4  
I would suggest you try going right to the engine manufacturers themselves. Most of their web sites have a way to contact them directly.

/ Engine performance specs #5  
"These are a given when comparing pickup trucks, I am surprised that they are so elusive in the tractor world."

As tractors are geared very differently then automobiles and trucks, seeing the torque and horsepower graphs may not tell much of a story or be of any use to a potential buyer.
Frankly, I would like to see torque ratings (at RPM)...even more then horse power as for we tractor buyers/owners need torque, not maximum horsepower (which is usually expressed as "GROSS HORSEPOWER", a rather useless measurement).

But even with torque or horsepower ratings, we must realize that how the machine is geared has a definite effect on the usage. An engine rated at a given HP may actually do more usable work then an engine of a higher power output, depending on the gearing (and other variables).

And that doesn't even address PTO or drawbar horsepower, which may depend on other attributes of the tractor (size, weight, tires).

Even in Muhammad's book on compact tractors, he relates an anecdote concerning a higher output (gasoline engined lawn tractor) engine trying to out pull a diesel powered compact tractor. Guess which one won?

/ Engine performance specs #6  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kubotaengine.com/kubotaperformance.htm>Kubota engine specs</A>

/ Engine performance specs #7  
Good question as to why it is not in the brochures. If you pick up most ag-tractor brochures,you'll find the info in them.

Maybe they figure you do not need it in the smaller ones. In real world farming the specs will often make or break a tractor to some purchasers. GPH seems to be what is touted by some,others it is "Constant Power",others it is hp to weight ratio.

/ Engine performance specs
This is exactly what I am talking about. This graph clearly indicates thet at 1575-1600 RPM you are at the beat Torque AND HP. A little slower is slightly better torque, a little faster give a little better HP.

Kubota's chart also shows fuel economy, which is nice.

Maybe none of this matters; still I would like to see it and be the informed user.

/ Engine performance specs #9  
I to had a great deal of trouble with true tractor comparisons! Working on and with class 8 trucks hauling 80,000 lbs gross I learned the differance between HP. and Torque.

Horse power; is when my wife flickes a popsicle stick at you from across the room as hard and fast as 110 lb. frame will let her!

Torque; is when I ( Lets just say I'm FULL growed) take a 2x6 and positon it at great speed and force to intersect your posterior!!! Trust me this will leave a mark.

So when a sales person starts using HP to define the differances between two traction engines (ie tractor)?
Somehow I just see my wife pushing hard as hell on that SMV sign on the back of the seat while I'm mowing uphill!

To get comfortable with this shopping experiance I may have to asked 4 to 5 times "how many ft.lbs. of torque does this engine have"! They have pulled out books, called the factory and even visited the service dept. and got a real number and RPM rate! Only then do we go to my second question.

Bottom line is that you pump in enough fuel in you can get the DYNO to say what ever HP number you want ! Hopfully before she goes BANG! Torque, well there are just so many of them in a specific engine arangement period. It just peaks at a RPM and thats IT! Well you can add exhaust tricks,turbo,intake cooling,cam variability,injection timing and spray freon in the exhaust and get 5-6% increase in them ft.lbs.!!!

Smoke,rattle and,stink