Newbie Tractor advice

/ Newbie Tractor advice #1  

argeaux

Tractor
Researching my first purchase (thinking of a B3200)
Please pardon me if this is a real newbie question, but I can use everyones' advice. I've got about 12 acres of land. Right now I'm not doing much with it but am planning on doing a little farming; a little bit of everything. It's mostly pasture with rolling hills. There's also a spring on the property (that I eventually want to try to re-route). I've been killing a little John Deer riding lawnmower mowing the pastures. The amount of land seems to be in between a riding mower and a tractor, but I also have a pond that needs to be dredged and at some point I want to do some earth moving to make a foundation for another structure on the property, so I'm looking for an all-around tractor that I can pick up that would hold its resell value, be common and reliable and have a lot of aftermarket parts/options and repair availability. I know virtually nothing about tractors, but I go to a lot of auctions where I see them being sold. I'm hoping to learn more and be able to recognize a good deal and at some point "if the price is right" pick something up. I don't mind spending for more than I need if it means I can recoup my money if I get a good deal.

For example, there's an auction coming up for a John Deere 5410 with a front loader with under 2500 hours on it (looks to be in very good shape with a cabin). What kind of price can you imagine something like that going for? And at what price point is it an incredible deal? Or is it even a good tractor? It's probably overkill for my application, but if I could get something like that cheap enough, I'd rather have more horsepower than I need, but again, I am just learning and scoping out the notion of picking up a tractor. Any advice is most appreciated.

/ Newbie Tractor advice #2  
You can do a search over at tractorhouse.com. There are 30 of them on there. Prices vary with age and configuration.

Warhammer

Please pardon me if this is a real newbie question, but I can use everyones' advice. I've got about 12 acres of land. Right now I'm not doing much with it but am planning on doing a little farming; a little bit of everything. It's mostly pasture with rolling hills. There's also a spring on the property (that I eventually want to try to re-route). I've been killing a little John Deer riding lawnmower mowing the pastures. The amount of land seems to be in between a riding mower and a tractor, but I also have a pond that needs to be dredged and at some point I want to do some earth moving to make a foundation for another structure on the property, so I'm looking for an all-around tractor that I can pick up that would hold its resell value, be common and reliable and have a lot of aftermarket parts/options and repair availability. I know virtually nothing about tractors, but I go to a lot of auctions where I see them being sold. I'm hoping to learn more and be able to recognize a good deal and at some point "if the price is right" pick something up. I don't mind spending for more than I need if it means I can recoup my money if I get a good deal.

For example, there's an auction coming up for a John Deere 5410 with a front loader with under 2500 hours on it (looks to be in very good shape with a cabin). What kind of price can you imagine something like that going for? And at what price point is it an incredible deal? Or is it even a good tractor? It's probably overkill for my application, but if I could get something like that cheap enough, I'd rather have more horsepower than I need, but again, I am just learning and scoping out the notion of picking up a tractor. Any advice is most appreciated.

/ Newbie Tractor advice #3  
That's a tractor with some muscle! 65hp?
As for a good deal? Who knows,, you'll have to do your own homework on that.

Good luck!

/ Newbie Tractor advice #4  
Gentlemen,

I am also new to the world of acres and tractors. I just bought 13 acres that have pasture and fields. I want a machine that will be able to brush hog and evetually plow (when i figure out how) Do I go for used or new? I'm not a millionare or a thousand aire for that matter but I want something that will do the job on a weekend. Whats a good HP range? Do I go Domestic or foreign. Any help is greatly apprciated.

/ Newbie Tractor advice #5  
As has been stated, you can search Tractorhouse.com to get an idea of what the asking price is, likely very few of those guys get their asking price, but it is a good reference place to start. I used that and the online auction houses to make a determination that I could not afford even used american made machines. Most of those selling them wanted almost as much as a new compact tractor of equal HP. I went with a grey market Yanmar. I didnt choose my dealer very well, but he was the only one anywhere close to my location. I dont think you will have any problem with the Japanese grey market tractors if you use a reputable dealer and there are several who participate on this forum. Stay away from the Vienam rebuilt ones (that is what I got) as they seem to just put some fresh paint on them and pass them through. I have a gummed up hydraulic system on mine that I am trying to flush out, but everything else works great. Go with someone like RCOTractors, LMTC and there are others also, but make sure that they go thru them and thoroughly check them out in the USA. Beware of any tractor that has a V2, V3 or V4 loader on it. THat is the Vietnam rebuilt ones. I bought the 4220D and am satisfied with the HP. I just wish I had found this forum before I bought it so I would have been better informed.

/ Newbie Tractor advice #6  
With 0% financing you can get new tractors for very low payments right now. Name brands like JD or Kubota can be resold near what you bough them for in a few years. You'll find that out looking at used tractor prices that they seem high. Tractors don't depreciate like cars. Except for very large JD tractors, most all tractors are built overseas, regardless of brand. JD does final assembly of many CUTs in the US though. So, you will have a hard time shopping if you want a really want a "domestic" tractor. I think 24-37 HP is the range both of you should look for. Mostly the frame size/height/stability is what you will want to pick and then you can settle on HP within that frame size. They overlap quite a bit and the smaller tractors tend to cost as much as the larger ones. If you have particular brands in mind, post questions in those forums.

/ Newbie Tractor advice #7  
Lets see.. 12 rolling ac.. some mowing.. some earthmoving.

I'd say something in the 20-30's hp range , 4wd with a fel, and later down the road a backhoe when you want to start doing excavation.

Cut's with 4wd and loaders hold value real good.

you will likely need a 18-20' trailer to move a 30hp unit with loader and hoe.. unless you don't plan on moving it.

soundguy

/ Newbie Tractor advice #8  
I agree that 30-40 HP is what you would want. I have front wheel assist John Deere's that are 100HP and 165HP and just ordered my Bobcat CT235. Something to remember is that the bigger tractors burn a LOT of fuel. I plan on using my 35HP as much as possible because the amount of work you can perform per gallon of fuel is better with a compact tractor in my opinion. :) I hope to prove that as a fact once my tractor gets here. :D

-Justin

/ Newbie Tractor advice
Thanks for the advice.. it's been some time since I originally posted. I have been doing more research and recently had my eye on a Kubota 7500 with a FEL.. it was at an auction and had 280 hours and went for $8700. I guess that's kind of a good deal but I wasn't confident enough to go that high since I'm still learning, but I have figured out that what you all have recommended is probably ideal for me: 20-30hp with 4WD and a front loader. A bucket would be great later, but I mainly need the FEL and a finish mower or bush hog.

My follow-up question is, what are comparable models/MFGs to the Kubota 20-30hp 4WD series? Is Kubota the best brand to go for in this class? Any advice on how I should look and shop? What would be a good price to shoot for?

/ Newbie Tractor advice #10  

That 5410 was made between 1998-2001. The average resale value (price at a dealer's) for a 5410 with 4WD and cab ranges from $15600 to $17700. Add $3-4K for the FEL. With 65 pto hp it would handle just about anything on your 12 acres.

The hours are high but not unreasonably so provided the tractor was well cared for. Unless the owner kept good servicing records that are available to inspect at the auction, you're taking a chance unless you have experience sizing up used tractors.

If you buy this one, you may get lucky and get a cherry tractor. However, it's just as easy to get it home and find out that you need expensive repairs on the engine, tranny, rear end, hydraulics, fuel injection pump, etc. Since you say you're a novice, be careful how you spend your hard earned cash.

Hard to say what that 5410 will go for at auction. With that many hours my guess is less than $15K.

There are alternatives. For example, I have 10 acres of flat pasture land and a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp diesel engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD) with the ML-250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket with 2900 lb lift capacity) that I bought new for under $18K. It handles all my chores including running haying implements. A new tractor with similar specs might be the best bet for you assuming your willing to spend ~$20K.