Is this a scam? Scam?

/ Scam? #11  
Hi, First time poster here...
I have been reading the threads on tbn.com for many weeks and have enjoyed educating myself on many makes and models of tractors (having never owned one).
At any rate (for what it's worth)...I have been (mostly window) shopping for a tractor for a little over a year and am starting to get serious...and last night I ran into a similar ad posted on Craig's list and then on e-bay (has to be a similar scam)

This listing was the text of the listing...the price was $4850.00
Make: New Holland
Model: TC 30
Model Year: 2003
Engine HP: 30
Engine Cylinders: 3
Hours: 52
Transmission: Hydrostatic
Drive: 4WD
Fuel: Diesel

FOR SALE IS A TC 30 HYDRO WITH WOODS LOADER AND WOODS BACKHOE 750 BOTH QUICK DETACH , R4 INDUSTRIAL TIRES, MID AND REAR PTO. ONLY 52 HOURS. THIS UNIT WAS PURCHASED NEW IN 2004 BY MY ME, IT HAS BEEN STORED IN MY GARAGE EVER. EVERYTHING OPERATES AS IT SHOULD. I HAVE ALL BOOKS AND LIFT ARMS TO MAKE COMPLETE. IT IS FOR SALE LOCALLY AND MAY END LISTING EARLY, AVAILABLE FOR INSPECTION AND TEST DRIVE

I recieved the following as a reply to my query...this tractor (as described above) was located about 25 miles from my current local...I inquired as soon as the ad was listed.

Hi again,
The tractor is already at a shipping company in Las Vegas, NV. I took the tractor to them to be able to ship it to a potential buyer whilst I'm out of town. My brother in law works there, and he promised me that it will cost me nothing to ship it in the US or Canada. I also have the tractor listed on eBay View item and that lets me use their secured system. I'm very busy with my job and I'm sorry I can't meet you in person. According to eBay you have 5 days from the time you receive the tractor to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.

So if you really want it press here on Buy it Now on eBay and after complete the deposit payment $2,400 to the eBay agent let me to know your full name and full shipping address to send my tractor. After you get the tractor you have 5 days to test and if you decide to keep it eBay will release money to me if NOT they will refund your money and the shipping company will take the tractor back on my expense and keep it until I find a new buyer.

[opinion]
Even if they catch these sob's there will be someone else to take their place...hope some of that stimulus money is going toward hiring cyber detectives and building more jails...

/ Scam? #12  
Welcome to TBN /pine (or is is slashpine?).

Scams are pretty common especially on eBay but also Craigslist and also in the TBN classifieds. If the price looks too good and some jerk wants you to mail money to his brother/friend/lawyer in Nigeria etc ....it's a scam.

/ Scam? #13  
Richard I seen it to also with another listing for a Kubota same text and price.Someone needs to catch them and take them out back behind the woodshed for a good old fashion A/whoopin!

/ Scam? #14  
Welcome to TBN /pine (or is is slashpine?).

yes, it's slashpine (or Richard)...thanks for the welcome...

carey...where are you at in NE Georgia?...my place is in Rabun County

Used tractors are a hot item and the con men know how to act like naive sellers to bargain hunters...it's a jungle out there...

/ Scam? #15  
Richard Walton county.I was just up there a couple of weekends ago.A good buddy of mine lives in Dillard off Bettys Creek.Rabun Co.is a beautiful place to live and visit.I use to stay up there years ago had alot of good times.

/ Scam? #16  
A sad thing is that the law won't even get involved due to juristicions and high legal costs.
(seller/scammer is at A, tractor is at B and buyer is at C= 3 juristicions and 3 police forces)
A single court delay could cost thousands$$ considering all people involved , travel and hotel costs etc etc.
Crooks are getting smarter and smarter these days.

But deals do exist!
There is a web site that auctions repo tractors for the dealers and will even finance.
The site is run by the finance company.

/ Scam? #17  
Years ago when the Nigeria thing was just starting up I responded to an obvious scam add. Got an email back about it and oh yeh , the shipping was free haha. Well I told them I was going to pick it up in person and thats when the emails stop.
Its no secret where these people are as a news organization went over there once and filmed one of the places live with people working them. Problem is they can't do anything about it over there and the corrupt African governments are in on it.

/ Scam? #18  
It really bugs me, someone trying to rip off by selling a fake tractor. But, I guess they will try anything and in any subject/topic.

And if you get a e-mail from "Ali Gabajiowala" just delete it! Don't even open it. I bet this guy sends out millions of e-mails, and it just takes a reply to keep him going.

/ Scam? #19  
The same jerk moved his add to another Ga. city.The good thing it was flaged immediatly.I have bought items off CL. with a couple really good deals from honest induviduals.I just hate CL. getting a bad rap just because of a couple of dishonest people.

/ Scam? #20  
The same jerk moved his add to another Ga. city.The good thing it was flaged immediatly.I have bought items off CL. with a couple really good deals from honest induviduals.I just hate CL. getting a bad rap just because of a couple of dishonest people.

Carey, I don't think craigslist is "getting a bad rap". I think people reading this thread and/or similar ones know that it isn't the website that's dishonest; only some of the people who post things for sale there. And of course they manage to post scams on Tractorbynet, too. The scams are removed from both websites (as well as ebay) when they're found by the administrators. But there are enough scams, and unfortunately some people fall for them, that Tractorbynet does not want anyone to be taken by such a scam and claim they learned about it on Tractorbynet.

I've not bought anything from craigslist myself, but I've sold a couple of things there. And I have both bought and sold a few things on ebay.