Comparing Kubota-JD-MF for next tractor purchase

/ Comparing Kubota-JD-MF for next tractor purchase #1  

WWhunter

Bronze Member
Okay first a little background. I was in a nasty auto accident years ago with a major back injury. I currently have an 8N and a Ford 3000 gas tractor. 99% of my work is with the 3000. I am getting to the point I can not tolerate operating this tractor without paying for it later. Constant shifting and lack of powersteering take its toll on my body. Besides, it is an old tractor and who knows how much longer it will be trouble free (it had a $3400 overhaul just before I purchased it) even though it runs great and uses zero oil. The sheetmetal leaves a lot to be desired.

I own 120 acres of (80%)woods and the rest fields in Northern Minnesota. I use the tractor for log skidding, brush cutting, tilling, mowing, snowblowing, etc. I have 6' 3PT disc, 6' bush hog, woods mower, 5' tiller, 7' back blade, 6' snowblower, 10' pull type disk, 3pt plow, digger/cultivator.

I am thinking I would like a new 4x4 tractor (wife pushing me to buy one due to my health issues) and am looking at Kubota, JD, and MF 2600 series. The reason for my selection on these tractors is because they are the only dealers nearby and I am 30 miles from the nearest town. I really don't need to buy something I need to travel 100+ miles for parts and service. I am guessing I need something in the 40hp range since that is the range of my present tractor. I would like Hydrastatic or shuttle type transmission. For woods work and snow removal it would be nice. I really like the HST plus that Kubota has. The MF seems to be a heavier built tractor but less creature comforts. I may buy withan FEL and get rid of my skidsteer but I haven't decided yet as a skidsteer is one of the handiest things to have in the woods.

Okay guys, give me your ideas. Pros and cons of each model.

Thank you,
WW

/ Comparing Kubota-JD-MF for next tractor purchase #2  
Okay first a little background. I was in a nasty auto accident years ago with a major back injury. I currently have an 8N and a Ford 3000 gas tractor. 99% of my work is with the 3000. I am getting to the point I can not tolerate operating this tractor without paying for it later. Constant shifting and lack of powersteering take its toll on my body. Besides, it is an old tractor and who knows how much longer it will be trouble free (it had a $3400 overhaul just before I purchased it) even though it runs great and uses zero oil. The sheetmetal leaves a lot to be desired.

I own 120 acres of (80%)woods and the rest fields in Northern Minnesota. I use the tractor for log skidding, brush cutting, tilling, mowing, snowblowing, etc. I have 6' 3PT disc, 6' bush hog, woods mower, 5' tiller, 7' back blade, 6' snowblower, 10' pull type disk, 3pt plow, digger/cultivator.

I am thinking I would like a new 4x4 tractor (wife pushing me to buy one due to my health issues) and am looking at Kubota, JD, and MF 2600 series. The reason for my selection on these tractors is because they are the only dealers nearby and I am 30 miles from the nearest town. I really don't need to buy something I need to travel 100+ miles for parts and service. I am guessing I need something in the 40hp range since that is the range of my present tractor. I would like Hydrastatic or shuttle type transmission. For woods work and snow removal it would be nice. I really like the HST plus that Kubota has. The MF seems to be a heavier built tractor but less creature comforts. I may buy withan FEL and get rid of my skidsteer but I haven't decided yet as a skidsteer is one of the handiest things to have in the woods.

Thank you,
WW

you have several choices when it comes to Deere. you could go with a 5203(56 engine hp and 47 pto hp), wait on the new models to come out(they have the same specs just different numbers and you can get a better deal on a 5003 on the lot), or if you REALLY want some hp get a 5303(65 engine hp and 55 pto hp). i bought a 5203 MFWD(4x4) back in august and i couldn't be happier. it has the 9x3 syncshuttle transmission which has been around forever seems like and is also used as the base tranny for the 5025 series. the weight of this tractor is a tic over 5,000lbs without loaded rear tires and no fel. another reason to take a good look at this series of tractor is the engine displacement is 179ci and i think thats more then Kubota and MF. i too looked at the Kubota 5040 as well as the 2600 series MF so i'll give you my reasons why i didnt go with those over the Deere. the Kubota just wasnt comfortable to me. i felt like i was tilting forward in the seat, but i've never heard anyone else have this problem. the MF was the most comfortable tractor out of the 3 to me, but the closest MF dealer to me leaves alot to be desired lets just say. i think he coulda cared less that i had money in my pocket and would have bought from him had he shown me the SLIGHTEST bit of interest in my business. i don't own a crystal ball but i could see him not caring down the road when i needed his service. also, the 5003 series tractors are turbo charged and come standard with a rear svc. i didnt mention the 5103(45 engine hp 38 pto hp) only because for $1,000 more you can step up to the 5203 and get a good bit more hp which i have used many times on my farm. i'm glad i didn't go any lower lets just put it like that.

/ Comparing Kubota-JD-MF for next tractor purchase
Thanks Rolling farms. Not really sure I need much more than 40hp though. I think my 3000 is 37 PTO hp and I have rarely ever needed anymore. I do agree though that it would be nice to have the extra ponies occasionally. I "think" I have done most of the heavy work required on my place over the years and now it is mostly just maintaining it. Food plots need cutting/replanting and grass fields cut. Fallen down trees drug out and cut up into firewood will be the most work needed to be done now.
I think I need to do a little more research on price and maybe I will go with a bigger tractor.

/ Comparing Kubota-JD-MF for next tractor purchase #4  

Thank you,
WW

Kubotas are nice. I used to have a 2005 B7510HST/LA302 FEL (4-ft bucket, 21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD). Traded it in last year on a Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, partial constant mesh tranny, 2WD).

My neighbor has a Kubota L4400 (45 hp engine, 36 hp pto, 4WD, gear tranny) with a 6-ft FEL bucket. There's an HST version of the 4WD L4400 that would be a better fit to your needs. It's one sweet machine. Good power, quiet engine. It'll handle your implements without difficulty.

Don't know about JD or MF. My MF is a 1964 MF-135 diesel and I haven't been eyeballing this year's MF offerings.

/ Comparing Kubota-JD-MF for next tractor purchase
I have driven the JD's and the Kubota's and to me the Kubota was the nicer fit for "me". I did like the air-ride(?) seat on one of the JD's I drove though. Haven't tried the Massey yet. the temps up here in the north country aren't the best right now for putsing around on tractors. WAY below zero windchill the last few days. The thing I see as an advantage of the MF is the weight is heavier for a comparable HP and price.
I am sorta leaning towards the Kubota, probably due to reliabilty reviews, Not that either of the others are bad. I see the 5100 series JD's are made in India. That surprised me as I used to live in Grovetown, GA and there was a JD plant behind my house and I thought the engines were Yanmar. But I think this was the smaller CUT's. Learn something new everyday.
Seem to recall the MF's were Brazilian made. ???
Too bad I didn't ship back a couple "grey market" Kubotas when I was living in Okinawa (US Army). You could buy 2-3 year old ones for dirt cheap. I had met a guy there that was sending whole containers full back to the US. The Japanese seemed to buy new stuff every couple of years.

/ Comparing Kubota-JD-MF for next tractor purchase #6  
...Haven't tried the Massey yet. the temps up here in the north country aren't the best right now for putsing around on tractors. WAY below zero windchill the last few days....

Does the cold weather also affect your back? If so (or even if not), have you considered a tractor with a cab? Heating and AC strike me as awfully nice to have up your way, but I'll admit I'm a SoCal weather wimp.

/ Comparing Kubota-JD-MF for next tractor purchase #7  
I see the 5100 series JD's are made in India. That surprised me as I used to live in Grovetown, GA and there was a JD plant behind my house and I thought the engines were Yanmar. But I think this was the smaller CUT's. Learn something new everyday.
Seem to recall the MF's were Brazilian made. ???

The Deere 5X03 series are made in India. The MF 2600 series are also made in India I believe. The older 400 and 500 series MF's were made in Brazil. The Kubota's in Japan I assume. I'll admit I'm biased against anything from India because I've traveled there a few times in my line of work. I don't like the country, it pretty much defines "third world" for me and I find the people to be downright dishonest, they'll tell you anything to get your money. I personally prefer dealing with the Chinese to the Indians. However, I'm sure with a reputable company like Deere or MF you'd be okay with one of their products, they'll stand behind them and the country of manufacture is kind of irrelevant. I'm not ready to buy an Indian made product from an Indian company (Mahindra) however, I'm afraid of dealing with a company headquartered in India. Hopefully my fears will be proven without base in the future, but that's my thoughts about India at the present time.

/ Comparing Kubota-JD-MF for next tractor purchase #8  
The Deere 5X03 series are made in India. The MF 2600 series are also made in India I believe. The older 400 and 500 series MF's were made in Brazil. The Kubota's in Japan I assume. I'll admit I'm biased against anything from India because I've traveled there a few times in my line of work. I don't like the country, it pretty much defines "third world" for me and I find the people to be downright dishonest, they'll tell you anything to get your money. I personally prefer dealing with the Chinese to the Indians. However, I'm sure with a reputable company like Deere or MF you'd be okay with one of their products, they'll stand behind them and the country of manufacture is kind of irrelevant. I'm not ready to buy an Indian made product from an Indian company (Mahindra) however, I'm afraid of dealing with a company headquartered in India. Hopefully my fears will be proven without base in the future, but that's my thoughts about India at the present time.

just wanted to add a little more to the 5x03 being made in India. i think some folks get concerned when they hear this and assume that Deere has outsourced their product to some Indian company to build is as cheap as they please and slap the green and yellow pain on it and call it a day. not true at all. these tractors are made by JD by JD employees using JD parts(all except for the axles from what i can tell), built to JD specs. these series of tractors are popular over there and India is a big market for this size tractor. Deere brought these tractors over here because they were getting raked over the coals by Mahindra and other companies who were offering similar products in America and making a killing. it must have been a good move because theyve kept with this series since 2003 and have made improvments to it almost every year. also, many people have told me that the 5x03 series tractors have the FEWEST warranty claims of ANY John Deere product. i have never been one to impulse buy something without doing extensive research on it, and even trying to purposely find reasons NOT to buy it. i kicked the tires of this series tractor for 2 years, read everything i could about them, talked to owners, got all the info that i could get and in the end decided to buy one. havent regretted it since. the 5x03 tractors also use engines made in the JD Mexico plant and the 2wd front axles are made by Cararro while the MFWD are made by Dana(same axle used in the 5025 series). i also have a JD MX6 that was made in Italy and have never heard anyone use that as an excuse not to buy one. i honestly think that if these tractors were pure junk, Deere would have stopped bringing these over to America and these boards would be filled with rants and raves about the problems they were having.

/ Comparing Kubota-JD-MF for next tractor purchase #9  
I've had my Kubota Cab L4240 HST+, 4x4, with 854 FEL for a few months now. I've put over 120 hours on it thus far. I shopped New Holland and JD before I made my purchase and I can say 100% I made the right choice. I felt like I got more tractor for the dollar. I can do just about anything I need around the house, what I can't I'd have to rent some big equipment anyway. I pull a 6' bush hog also. I don't think I'd want any smaller of a tractor for that but our grass down here is thick!!! The Grand L series has more bells and whistles and to me just all around a better Tractor than the L4400. I think you can get an air ride seat for just about any tractor and if you have back problems I would highly suggest it.

Now i'm biased ofcourse but I'm here to say you can't go wrong with Orange.