kubota l3400 or ?

/ kubota l3400 or ? #1  

bc realtor

Silver Member
Tractor
Antonio Carrero TTR4400
I am in the final stages of figuing out what tractor to choose. The use I have is a simple one. Mow the hedge. It currently takes me 8 days to trim my hedge with a gas pole trimmer. My thought was to buy an L3400 kubota and a kirogn cl 93 hedge trimmer http://www.kirogn.fr/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&menu=elagage&smenu=tailleusesh-cl93&lang=undefined
i have 400 feet of hedge and would like to turn this into a side business as well:confused:

/ kubota l3400 or ? #3  
Pretty cool trimmers there. Your gonna want some weight I'd think to operate a long arm thing like that. Make sure the hydraulics and PTO power are sufficient to operate it as well. I would suggest you drive as many brands and models as is practical in your area before deciding. I've heard a few not so good things about the l3400, like jerky 3PH.

/ kubota l3400 or ?
I could go down to the B3200 or B3030 with the weight . As for test drives the dealer here is plugged with machines and there is only about 5 feet to move the machines. My biggest worry is how slow will the L3400 go as being too fast could be disaster. The trimmer when installed is fixed and lock to the 3pt and should not be a great worry. I also worry that I would tear up the lawns at this weight of a machine.

/ kubota l3400 or ? #5  
If speed is a concern, then go HST: infinitely variable. I wouldn't buy any tractor I could not drive and try out first. Kubotas are good, but there are other brands that are just a good.

Weight issue goes to stability with that arm fully extended coupled with some slope and or an unseen divet/hole in the ground. You don't want to be tipping over. Notice the rigs that cut the roadside ditches. They all have counter weights on the opposite side from the cutter. Different beast, different application, but same basic concern.

/ kubota l3400 or ? #6  
You might want to do some research on the Kubota forum about the jery 3 point operation on the L3400.

/ kubota l3400 or ? #7  
As a previous L3400 owner I would NOT recommend one.

/ kubota l3400 or ?
I like the dimentions on the 3400hst. width and weight are perfect spec wise. I don't know much about many others as I would have to do some travelling off the island to see them.

/ kubota l3400 or ?
It seems that any comparable tractors with this power are the next step up in size and probably to large for my uses

/ kubota l3400 or ? #10  
I have an L3400, hydro trans., 4WD, FEL, and I'm completely happy with it.