Where you buy and where you go for service

/ Where you buy and where you go for service #1  

Valorum

So i've noticed that several of you have bought their tractor from a dealer far away (100+ miles). At the same time, several of you have stressed how important it is to have a good dealer to work with when you have problems with your tractor. Isn't the distance from where you bought it a concern? Do you get your tractor serviced by somebody else (closer) then who you bought it from? Or do you get it shipped all the way back to the guy you bought it from? This far i was working under the assumption that the people we buy it from would be the people who do the work on the tractor.

My wife and i both don't like to buy "blind", meaning we'd like to at least sit on the thing before we buy it of course. And that means we need to go to local dealers to check out the tractors in person. And i don't like using them for that and then not give them our business. If they are holding the inventory so that i can sit on them, i don't want to then take my business elsewhere unless the price difference is significant. Support your local shop kind of deal i guess.

What are your experiences / thoughts / approaches here?

/ Where you buy and where you go for service #2  
Part of the deal is that you really don't know if you have a good dealer unless you do have a problem with the tractor and he goes beyond what other dealers do to solve your problem.

If your dealer gives you a "fair" price... even if it's not the cheapest, it would make sense to me to buy from him. I bought one based on price... only and got burned - dealer went out of business. (but since I didn't like the closer dealer much, I didn't have much choice.) Bottom line, in my thinking, is you buy new... there *should not* be a problem.

/ Where you buy and where you go for service #3  
There is only one Kubota dealer in the whole state. 115 miles away So what the heck does it matter.

/ Where you buy and where you go for service #4  
Valorum,

I also believe in giving the local dealer my business and would do it even if he didn't give the best price unless he gives me a reason not to. Well, my local dealer gave me a bunch of reasons not to give them anymore business, so I now deal with one that's 50 miles away.

Fortunately, I haven't needed to take the tractor back for service, but if I do, it will be to the "new" dealer, even though he is farther away and not as convenient. For me, it's a matter of principle and a question of competence, so it would be worth it to me to deal with the one that I trust.

/ Where you buy and where you go for service #5  
When I was shopping around for a new tractor and went to all of dealers JD-MF Kubota NH Century Kioti etc. ,from previous experience I knew what I didn't want.
I found a DK 55 demo unit 50 mi from me it had a cab and that is what I was looking for the only concern was the height of the door in the garage,by the time i returned home and checked door height he had sold the tractor, I went to another dealer 50 Mi in another direction and Bought a DK45 .
All the Kioti dealers that I had approached were very knowledgeable and easy to work with .I am extremely happy with my purchase and if the Kioti dealer was 500 miles from me I would still make the same choice.

/ Where you buy and where you go for service #6  
In purchasing my first tractor I had it narrowed down to Kubota, New Holland, and Deere. I ended up purchasing a New Holland Scut as they just had the best price/financing at the time. They were also the farthest away from my house, about 50 miles. I dont have a trailer or a means of getting to the dealer so this worried me. I had no problem at all w/ them (NH) but roadside service was $85 an Hr. So being 1 hr. away from them it was going to cost me 190 (both ways) for them to just come to my home.

Time came for an upgrade as I realized I wanted something bigger/more power. The Kubota Dealer in my area has been in business for a very long time and has a wonderful reputation. Not only this but they are literally a 8 minute tractor drive from my home. In my quest for my 2nd tractor again had it down to the same 3 companies. New Holland wanted to keep my business so they actually had the best deal on the table. I decided against it and went w/ Kubota this time only because I wanted the assurance of a great dealer so close to me. Who advised that we were so close to him that if ever a problem he would pick up and deliver for free, so I ended up paying about 2k more, and for me couldnt be happier. Good Luck!

/ Where you buy and where you go for service #7  
In my case, where I bought was because of where I went for service...I had picked up a previously loved F935 from a Golf Course "off the side of the road" and while fixing it up I used the local JD Dealer extensively. They treated me as if I bought the tractor there and had been a customer for 25+ years. In the beginning of my fixing up I had a question on the routing of some lines and they brought me over to the service MGR who then pulled a tech off a machine and helped me out by showing me the service manual, explaning etc (My SVC Manual was on order)... Anywho...back on topic....I figured if they treated me that good on a machine they never sold, saw nor serviced, then if I bought a machine there they'd certianly treat me right. Kubota dealer shot himself in the foot by treating me like a "Tire Kicker" while I was shopping.
80 hours later on my 3520 Cab, I'd say I made the right decision...any issues were always taken care of without ANY hassle, parts & service are always willing to go the extra mile.

The price difference would need to be WAY Large for me to not buy local. When your tractor is dead on the dirtpile will the dealer 500 miles away drive over for field service? Dont be mad when the local guy puts you on the back burner...IMO He has no obligation to run out and put you top priority if he's got good repeat customers in line.

The old addage "You get what you pay for" is truer today then ever before...

/ Where you buy and where you go for service #8  
Where do i get my tractor serviced? In my back yard by the barn.

For the -very- occasional work i can't do.. it goes to the dealer 45 miles down the road. He picks it up and returns it for a reasonable fee since i don't have a trailer big enough to move a tractor weighing near 8000#.

soundguy

So i've noticed that several of you have bought their tractor from a dealer far away (100+ miles). At the same time, several of you have stressed how important it is to have a good dealer to work with when you have problems with your tractor. Isn't the distance from where you bought it a concern? Do you get your tractor serviced by somebody else (closer) then who you bought it from? Or do you get it shipped all the way back to the guy you bought it from? This far i was working under the assumption that the people we buy it from would be the people who do the work on the tractor.

My wife and i both don't like to buy "blind", meaning we'd like to at least sit on the thing before we buy it of course. And that means we need to go to local dealers to check out the tractors in person. And i don't like using them for that and then not give them our business. If they are holding the inventory so that i can sit on them, i don't want to then take my business elsewhere unless the price difference is significant. Support your local shop kind of deal i guess.

/ Where you buy and where you go for service #9  

My Mahindra dealer is about 20 miles away. So far I've done all the periodic maintenance in my shop myself.

But a few months ago I decided to get a skid steer quick attach system for the front end loader on the Mahindra 5525 (should have selected this option when I bought the tractor last March, but was too dumb to do it then). The skid steer plate has to be welded onto the backside of the bucket. Since it's handling lots of weight, I had the dealer do that work.

I don't have a trailer large enough to handle a 6000 lb tractor so the dealer did the hauling and charged only $75 (one way charge). I think most reputable dealers will cut a valued customer some slack on hauling charges for service work done in their shop.

/ Where you buy and where you go for service #10  
I bought my Kubota several hundred miles away from where I lived in a different state. I got a good deal so I bought it. Since that time I wish I would have gone through my local dealer. They treat me like one of the family and are great to work with. I have bought several implements from them and had them install the rear remote on my MX5000.