Ever been billed before you got stuff?

/ Ever been billed before you got stuff? #1  

Bedlam

Veteran Member

In recent thread on here got me to thinking of a peeve I have with companies these days.
I purchased a large item from a company across the country, to be shipped via truck, at a cost of 2300 dollars.
I waited to order it the day after my charge card 'closed' so as to not have to pay out before it arrived.
well one day after I placed the order, it was set on my credit card:eek:
Normally this wouldn't be a problem if I received it before the bill, but as time went by I didnt get a call for delivery, or able to track it on line.
then I received the bill and still hadn't heard from the truck company .The chard acct payment was due in four days , so I continued to wait, and finally called the company who said it was right on schedule.
The next day I called Discover card and explained.
The rep there said this happens all the time. Some companies bill the second they get an order. But most 'good' ones bill when shipped.So she placed it on the disputed list and removed the charge
Of course the next day the truck shows up.I unload and its all fine so i call the discover card back and say I'm happy and to add the charge back on and I will pay t that month, She replied that it would have to be added to the next months bill, thus giving me another month to hold onto my money.:eek::rolleyes:
She said if everyone did this then the company might learn not to bill so .hastily.
So I guess it depends on the business, and this wasn't a custom pre -pay thing.
Anyone ever experience such a thing.?

/ Ever been billed before you got stuff? #2  
I have had this happen before.

There is actually a law that they can't bill you until they ship the item. A lot of companies ignore the law.

If you point it out to credit card companies, their contract with people who accept credit cards includes a clause about this and that is why Discover moved it to the disputed category so easily.

/ Ever been billed before you got stuff? #3  
There is actually a law that they can't bill you until they ship the item.

nice to know!

/ Ever been billed before you got stuff? #4  
Retired service manager for Ford/Chrysler dealerships. Went into several stores as S.M. that had not prepaid special order parts, had as much as $15000-$25000 of s.o.p.'s that were up to several years old. My policy was, if I order it special for you and it's not something we normally stock, you have to pay for it before I order it. Takes a lot of service sales to make up for a $300-$400 part someone changed their mind about, found at a salvage yard, or decided they could do without.

/ Ever been billed before you got stuff? #5  
I think it's pretty common to bill at point of shipping... I would imagine that only becomes a problem when shipping takes more than 20 days.. IE.. not normal circumstances..

soundguy

/ Ever been billed before you got stuff?
Yes I agree but this wasn't a special order item.
I understand how those work from Home Depot. Like when they didnt have in stock the standard garage door, (but the computer said six were there):rolleyes:
I paid for two of them right up front and waited for the call that they were in.Then as i go to HD often I wandered down the aisle and hmm there was the same doors there, four of them. I approached the clerk and he asked if he could help me, and I said yes I had special ordered the same doors over a month ago and they still haven't come in yet your selling those.:eek:
He stated that they weren't the same door. I showed him the stock number and he still is=insisted it was the same door.But guess who was also there? the cloplay rep. He shook his head and said yes thats the same.
So the clerk asked what I thought they should do, I said brig em up front I will be right back for them,went home got truck came back,
and then after proving they were mine.:rolleyes: i tried to leave.
hold it sir.:eek:receipt.
ok np.
they he scanned it and said that they were now 20 dollars more each and that I had been charged the old price.I explained theta were special ordered, and that was the price, and he said well I cant let you take them,:cool:I said too bad i own them and left.;)
Way to often it seems stores just compound the problems.Had the door sale person followed through right to my truck o this that wouldn't have happened.
:eek: Did i just hijack my own thread???:D:D
Just venting

/ Ever been billed before you got stuff? #8  
I noticed When using Paypal billing to CC is immediate. Not waiting till ship.

/ Ever been billed before you got stuff? #9  
Is it a Federal Law they can not bill you before they ship? In office supplies it happens by some big name guys.

As to other laws not enforced, faxes that from a company with which you don't already have a business relationship or have given them signed approval to send you faxes. I think you are eligible for $500 per fax if you go after them. That is a Federal Law but have been told enforced in state court so if out of state hard to do. If you get those faxes notice how some companies have tried to make them look like they are internal faxes so they can cry, mistake on fax number.

/ Ever been billed before you got stuff? #10  
That seems to happen alot, I can understand with special orders though.

A few weeks ago I happened to be shopping in an area which I dont normally visit. I purchased a cell phone charger which cost $20.99 with tax, using my debit card. I just happened to check my online balance a few days later and it was unusually low. Even when I was a poor college student, I didnt let my balance get this low. At the top of the statement was a charge from the cell phone company for $2099.00!
The only way I could rectify the situation is wait until the manager is working and drive up there during business hours so they can credit my card. The girl that did the transaction was there and she admitted and said she tried to call me right after she realized it. Tried? Youre a cell phone company!! I didnt get any call or voice mail. Im fairly confident that would have over-drafted most americans. After all that, I had to "suggest" (they wanted to credit and then recharge the card for 20.99) that maybe they should not charge me for it. If I did that to someone, I would be so embarassed that I would give them 10 chargers for free!
Also, sorry to hyjack, but venting helped a little:D:D