Pricing JD 970 and pricing and adviceFord 1510

/ Pricing JD 970 and pricing and adviceFord 1510 #1  

JD970NWwildman

Just a lurker/newbie here looking for some advice. I have a JD 970 (FEL and 4WD) I bought a couple of years ago. I have only put 80 hours on it in around 30 months. I knew it was overkill for what I bought it for, but it seemed to be a good deal. The tractor has been great, very solid and performs well. I decided I would like to down-size. I saw a little Ford 1510 (FEL and 4WD) that looks a little rusty from dairy work that I might be interested in. I have an offer for $11,000 on the JD (665 hours) and the Ford guy said he would sell for $4850 (957 hours on the 1510). Do these prices look reasonable? And is their an concerns with the 1510 and the associated dairy work (the tractor has a lot of surface and deep bucket rust)?

Any input would be appreciated.

/ Pricing JD 970 and pricing and adviceFord 1510 #2  
I'm not real familiar with either tractor so I don't have any direct advice. But a good place to look at tractors and see what they are selling for is Tractorhouse.com. That should give you some ballpark figures are far as pricing goes.

/ Pricing JD 970 and pricing and adviceFord 1510 #3  
Without actually seeing either tractor I would say that the pricing looks reasonable. Just be sure that you can part with that JD. The 970 is a nice tractor.

/ Pricing JD 970 and pricing and adviceFord 1510 #4  
What you have is reliable and your kids or grandkids will be able to use someday. Hate to see you get rid of a good piece

/ Pricing JD 970 and pricing and adviceFord 1510 #5  
I gotta say I really agree about the 970. The first tractor I ever drove was an ancient gas Cat 25 in the woods more than 50 years ago, and right now I have a Case SC and an International 706. I bought a 970 last summer and it is by far the most fun and versatile tractor I've ever been on.

If your're really fixated on selling it, that's not a bad price from a dealer. I saw them closing out new ones with loaders for $14000 last fall. I can't tell you anything about the 1510.

/ Pricing JD 970 and pricing and adviceFord 1510
Thanks for the link on the pricing. For now I will stick with the 970 (I really do like it). I was originally in the market for a mid 20's hp model when I ended up with the 970. The 1510 doesn't quite sit well with my gut instinct, for some reason. May trade down to an JD 855 that another guy has though. Thanks again.

/ Pricing JD 970 and pricing and adviceFord 1510 #7  
I just sold my '94 - 970 TLB this past spring with just over 600 hrs for $19.5K... with all manuals (tech and op) thumb on the hoe, an extra set of brand new R1's and rims, tire chains, new halogen work lights front and back, and log splitter.

Solid tractor - still wished I had it...

I worked in a feedlot for a year. Knee deep is cow **** most of the time. Used a big Case skid steer to break silage out of the pile to load large feed wagons mounted on trucks. Ran a sweet Case 1470 with power shift and duals, too. (Man, I used to like hittin' the pavement with that tractor fresh outta the **** --- black smoke pourin' and every shift the clumps of manure were just litterin' the road! :eek: :D The phone would be ringin' shortly thereafter, too...:confused:)

Sorry, I digress...

The corrosion was a constant PIA!

And having to work on equipment and fittings that had suffered thru that stuff would make the Pope swear!

Buy that Ford and I can pretty much guarantee; you'll know more about every intimate detail of that tractor than you'd ever want...

Best of luck.

AKfish