Montana 4940 vs Kioti DK 45S

/ Montana 4940 vs Kioti DK 45S #11  
I've used both Wix/Napa filters and Kioti filters on my tractor in the past.
Lately I have just been using Kioti Filters. The Wix/Napa filters were no cheaper $$.

/ Montana 4940 vs Kioti DK 45S #12  
I have customers using their 4340's for logging (pictures are posted on pic site from years ago) and they have had zero problems with 1000's of hours now. Filters can be had from Donaldson, Wix, Luberfiner etc. and affordable.

The 4340/4940 are genuine Mitsubishi engines but they are manufactured in house by LS/LG under a license from Mitsu. I have never had a warranty claim on one yet and my customers are tough on them.

Again, I have lots of customers in the 1000's of hours on them now. They are as strong and reliable as you will find anywhere.

Maka

Last edited:
   / Montana 4940 vs Kioti DK 45S #13  
I also considered Montana, in addition to TYM and Kioti. What concerned me was the same issue that surrounds all "second tieir" makers: will they be around in 5 or 10 years? While I was willing to take some chance to save and get a better equipped tractor, I just didn't have faith in Montana surviving, and was (am) also wary of TYM. In the size I was looking at (20 to 30 HP), I liked the Kioti's better than Montana, but I liked the TYM the best (more right sized for me). In the end, neither seem to be as established nor as committed as Kioti. So, I went Kioti. And around here the Kioti was actually cheaper too.

However, I've only heard good things about both TYM and Montana. And LG is a huge company with the wearwithall to gain traction in the U.S. market. We'll see if they have the stomach for it in the years to come.

/ Montana 4940 vs Kioti DK 45S #14  
What caused your Mitsu engine failures?

IMHO, simply bad engines. I had problems with a Mitsu vehicle; both major engine as well as transmission. I know the Mitsu dealer and he told me that he has had way too many problems with their engines and transmissions. He traded me out for a used GM product. I know many others who have had major engine issues with Mitsubishi. I am trying to get rid of my last Mitsu powered machine if I can. Unfortunately most potential buyers want to steal it due to it having the Mitsu engine. :(

/ Montana 4940 vs Kioti DK 45S #15  
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is as different from Mitsubishi motors (what you have) as it is from Mitsubsihi electronics and Mitsubishi Bank. There is no connection as far as I have been able to acertain. Several models of Perkins are made by Mitsubishi, Cat models by Mitsubishi, Ingersol Rand uses them as does Volvo and New Holland and lets not forget the highly respected Mahindra 15 series all manufactured by Mitsubishi. These are Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and not the motors division (automotive).

Not disagreeing with you on what you have (sounds like a piece) as it may very well be bad and in fact will give that to you as long as no one mix's the two (heavy industries and automotive) as the same. Mitsubishi is a huge company with many different divisions and their heavy industries is highly respected worldwide.

I will put up Mitsubishi Heavy Industries any day with any other diesel engine.

Maka

/ Montana 4940 vs Kioti DK 45S #16  
I have never used them, but there has been some links here about using NAPA for cross-referencing to OEM filters and getting cheaper pricing than the tractor dealers. Any thoughts on that and if it is OK to use the after market filters like WIX and Fram. I suppose there are other manufacturers that supply heavy equipment parts also but I am not familiar with any of them. If they are OK to use, what is the best brand?

It is fine to use an aftermarket filter. I generally use WIX filters. They are quality filters... not sure I would recommend Fram though. They do normally run around the same price as OEM filters but I use them because they are good filters and are available at a lot of stores. My dealer is about 30 miles away and I can get WIX from O'Reilly which is close by. You can look up filters for your particular tractor at their website.... Wixfilters.com.

/ Montana 4940 vs Kioti DK 45S #17  
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is as different from Mitsubishi motors (what you have) as it is from Mitsubsihi electronics and Mitsubishi Bank. There is no connection as far as I have been able to acertain. Several models of Perkins are made by Mitsubishi, Cat models by Mitsubishi, Ingersol Rand uses them as does Volvo and New Holland and lets not forget the highly respected Mahindra 15 series all manufactured by Mitsubishi. These are Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and not the motors division (automotive).

Not disagreeing with you on what you have (sounds like a piece) as it may very well be bad and in fact will give that to you as long as no one mix's the two (heavy industries and automotive) as the same. Mitsubishi is a huge company with many different divisions and their heavy industries is highly respected worldwide.

I will put up Mitsubishi Heavy Industries any day with any other diesel engine.

Maka

That sounds good. I qualified my experience with Mitsubishi (I call it something a bit different due to my experience :)) being with only forklifts and vehicles, because I have zero experience with anything else Mitsubishi except for a TV. I'm honestly very glad to hear that there is different divisions of Mitsubishi. I apologize for my distaste for Mitsubishi, but please understand that I associate that name with being bitten in the wallet in a big way. If you say Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is in no way...er...it's hard for me to not call what I have junk...like the others I've had, I have absolutely no reason to not completely believe you.

/ Montana 4940 vs Kioti DK 45S #18  
i don't know about the montana tractors but the kioti is a fine tractor, well made, very strong, starts cright up in any weather. i have a dk55 with a loader for sale if you are intrested. i'm selling it to go into other things. its a very strong tractor, handle hillsides very well. turbocharged engine. buy the kioti.