New vs Used

/ New vs Used #21  
That tells me your rear counterweight was not legeraged as much as the front counterweight. Probably caus ethe front either weighed more, or because it stuck out farther.. the hill didn't help any either. it the rears weren't onthe ground.. then the front had more mechanical advantage.

soundguy

/ New vs Used #22  
One thing I agree with is to decide what your major application(s) will be and buy the apropriate tractor. Buying unnecessasary features won't make your applications finish any faster but it will drain your wallet faster. That being said the OP stated his needs and they are basically minimul. IMO what he's looking for is something around 40PTO HP. 2wd is fine and will cost less in general. If his ground is swampy or has major hills then 4wd would be better. And this is "not" to antaginize anybody so please take this in context that it's meant to be but even though I haven't been around here very long what I'm observing is individuals try and make up for lack of skill with bells and whistles. When I hear someone who's doing incredible work with an 8n or other "old" tractor and getting the same or better results than say myself with my brand new JD then I listen more closely. I believe skill will outweigh bells and whistles more times than not. All of us can learn from the "oldtimers" on how to handle a situation.

/ New vs Used #23  
If you want something relatively new, i.e. less than 10 years old, then I'd recommend buying new. For reasons unknown to me, people seem to think that their sitting in the seat of a tractor for three years makes it worth more than the price of a new one of the same model. Rarely do I see a 2-3 year old tractor where the owner isn't asking the same price or more than a good haggler could purchase a new one. Buying the used one doesn't make sense because you've now got a used machine with little or no warranty that you paid a new price for, and the financing options are a ripoff on used machines. If you're willing to go as old as 10 years or more then you can save some decent money, but it gets harder to find good machines in that age bracket, especially if you want 4wd.

The same rules seem to hold true for cars and trucks. I've never been a proponent of buying a 2-3 year old vehicle because the owners usually overpaid for them by several thousand dollars and think I should overpay them to take it off of their hands. Last time I bought a pickup I paid less at an out of state dealer than I could have bought a 4 year old used one of the same model locally. I offered the local dealer my business and he quoted me $29000 for the same truck I had already priced at $25500 out of state. I just shook my head and said thanks but no thanks. Unfortunately most will overpay a shady dealer like this and feel they should recoup their purchase price when they resale it. They might with somebody, but not from me.

/ New vs Used #25  
35-45 hp should be fine for your needs. Re: new vs used - tractors, like pick up's, hold value pretty well, (actually tractors depreciate slower than pick ups!). For that reason you don't save as much buying used and for a couple of grand I'd go new unless you happy to get really lucky. Also consider you can keep a tractor 20 years with no problems. (Not many people keep cars that long.)

/ New vs Used #26  
(actually tractors depreciate slower than pick ups!).

depending on the age.. some of them appreciate.

look at the selling price of IH cubs.. they cost 3x that now for a runner, and that's not even adjusted currency... same with ford N's.. sell for more now than new.. and non adjusted currency..

soundguy

/ New vs Used #27  
Not always. I picked up a pallet load of sand bags using QA pallet forks on my JD 4320 with a 1000 lb. Red Master II arena harrow on the back, and still found I needed 4WD to back up a not-very-steep gravel driveway (no way to turn around).
That doesn't seem right. Thats a good bit bigger tractor than my 5400 and I rarley (only in real soupy muddy conditions) have any trouble at all even with 2000lbs on the front. My 5400 is 2WD. About the only time 4WD would be nice is deep snow and on ice.
I got real lucky I feel when I bought the 5400. It was in like new condition with no dents or even scratches in the paint. Platform didn't even have any paint wore through. I paid less than just about any CUT I could have bought new. And this was on a dealer lot. Basically there are some good used deals out there if you got the time to look.

/ New vs Used #28  
This is a fascinating post. The endless debate will probably never be resolved and the fact seems to be that BOTH new and used are good, subject to your own endless personal factors (budget, uses, mechanical savvy, cash vs finance, status, etc etc etc...). They guys on this forum give such excellent advice and it helped me immensly as I am sure it will you.

I just bought new for the first time ever. No doubt this will be the most costly tractor I ever own. But, it was either buy really old and really cheap or brand new. It did not seem sensible to pay "almost" new prices on a unit that was 5 to 10 years old so in between those two extremes made no sense to me. My reasons were as much personal as practical, and at my age etc this was probably the earliest occasion I will be able to afford new. I did not want to wait another 5-10 years. As much as the unit is functional and will meet all of my needs and more, having a shiny new TLB it has always been one of my personal dreams / goals. I love my new tractor and will have it (basically) till they ship me into a home or a pine box.

Good luck! Let us know what you do.

/ New vs Used #29  
This is a fascinating post. The endless debate will probably never be resolved and the fact seems to be that BOTH new and used are good, .

yep.. kinda like 4wd vs 2wd and gear vs hst..

both have their applications.

soundguy

/ New vs Used #30  
35-45 hp should be fine for your needs. Re: new vs used - tractors, like pick up's, hold value pretty well, (actually tractors depreciate slower than pick ups!). For that reason you don't save as much buying used and for a couple of grand I'd go new unless you happy to get really lucky. Also consider you can keep a tractor 20 years with no problems. (Not many people keep cars that long.)
I bought my 1989 nissan pick up new in 1989 .
Still runs and drives and looks new.
Come Dec it will be 20 years old.