New vs Used

/ New vs Used #1  

Red Chief

I'm looking at purchasing my first ever tractor. I have 20 acres of pature land that I would like to keep mowed and I also want to have about 5 acres of wildlife food plots. I have had 5 acres dozed off and need to prepare it for planting. This 5 acres is on 250 acres of hunting land that I own approx. 60 miles from my house. With that being said I'm hoping that I can get by with a tractor small enough to haul back and forth. I have been to many different dealers in a 60 mile area checking prices on all brands. My question is seeing the prices of the new tractors would I be better off finding a tractor that is 2 or 3 years old? I have been lookling in the 35 hp area. Is this going to be large enough for what Im looking to do?

/ New vs Used #2  
I'm looking at purchasing my first ever tractor. I have 20 acres of pature land that I would like to keep mowed and I also want to have about 5 acres of wildlife food plots. I have had 5 acres dozed off and need to prepare it for planting. This 5 acres is on 250 acres of hunting land that I own approx. 60 miles from my house. With that being said I'm hoping that I can get by with a tractor small enough to haul back and forth. I have been to many different dealers in a 60 mile area checking prices on all brands. My question is seeing the prices of the new tractors would I be better off finding a tractor that is 2 or 3 years old? I have been lookling in the 35 hp area. Is this going to be large enough for what Im looking to do?

I would think 35HP would be enough tractor. I had a MF135 diesel with about 35HP. It would handle the tasks you describe above easily. I tried the used tractor shopping route myself. It was very frustrating. Tractors with low hours and they were beat to death. I looked at dozens and all had damage from being ran in to something. Perhaps because of the area where I live. And the savings over new wasn't all that much. For $1,500 more I was able to buy new. Well kept and taken care of used tractors seem far and few between in my area.

/ New vs Used #3  
Go new : Used will eat your wallet in finance charges.

/ New vs Used #4  

With 35 pto hp, not engine hp, you could handle a medium duty 6-ft rotary mower (aka brush hog, slasher) and mow 20 acres in a good 10-hour day. And you could handle your food plot work (discing, seeding) with no problem.

A 2WD tractor with shuttle shift tranny would work and would save some up-front bucks.

A 16-ft flatbed two-axle trailer would be enough for transporting with an F150-size truck or even a full-size SUV.

I'd look for a used L-series Kubota, a JD 990, a Mahindra 4500, a Massey Ferguson MF-1547, or a New Holland TC 40.

/ New vs Used #5  
I am also on the fence on wether to buy a new machine or a used one. Most tractors you find that are at a good price are well used. A low hour ,few year old tractor is almost as high as a new one. I am leaning towards a used one because I have some cash money to spend so finance charges would not bother me. Also a used tractor generally does not have sales tax to pay. I don't have a farm so I would have to pay sales tax on a new tractor. Sales tax will add a good amount of change to the purchase price. A new tractor does come with warranty that is a plus. You might find a used tractor with a little warranty remainig. If you find a good deal on a used tractor get it. If you take some time someone else will come along and grab it up. A lot of folks will jump at a good deal on the size tractor you are looking for.

/ New vs Used #6  
Another option is to find a good used older tractor that you could leave on the other property.. something like a ford 600/601 series.. or more preferably, an 800/801 series. IE.. 840/841 or 850/851 or best yet.. 860/861.

The 8xx has a near 50 hp engine.. thus plenty of power... not too hard to find power steering onthe 01 series. an early 4 cyl 4000 will be virtually identicl tot he 801 series units. Alternatoely a good 3 cyl 2000/3000 wouldn't be bad either.

All these are small enough to haul with a 5' or 6' mower on a standard 16' 7000# car hauler with a regular 150/1500 pickup truck.

These machines can be used to mow the 20 ac.. just takes a good bit of seat time..Figure near 10-12 hours with a 5' mower to mow 20 ac.. depending on terain / obstacles.. etc... slash a lil time for 6'.. etc..

these machines can be found in the 2000-5000$ range.. with or without mowers.

soundguy

/ New vs Used #7  
I am seeing lots of panic selling now on used tractors, even mid and small 4wd's that were getting almost new prices just 6 months ago. Never in my lifetime have I seen such a buyer's market as we have right now. You will defintely want a 4wd if you are trailering as they generate a lot more pull per pound.

/ New vs Used #8  
I am seeing lots of panic selling now on used tractors, even mid and small 4wd's that were getting almost new prices just 6 months ago. Never in my lifetime have I seen such a buyer's market as we have right now. You will defintely want a 4wd if you are trailering as they generate a lot more pull per pound.
If you are seeing a lot of panic selling please start a thread and give us some links. I'm in the panic buying mode.
thanks

/ New vs Used #9  
A 2WD tractor with shuttle shift tranny would work and would save some up-front bucks.

Get 4wd. I can't imagine buying a tractor w/o it. I couldn't begin to think how many times I'd be stuck or at least much less productive, especially if your doing loader/grapple work. A decent load of dirt or gravel will reduce the traction of your rear wheels significantly even with loaded tires.

/ New vs Used #10  
Get 4wd. I can't imagine buying a tractor w/o it. I couldn't begin to think how many times I'd be stuck or at least much less productive, especially if your doing loader/grapple work. A decent load of dirt or gravel will reduce the traction of your rear wheels significantly even with loaded tires.

Oh, the endless debate. Here's my quick and simple rule of thumb:

Getting a 40hp or larger utility (not CUT) and using it for field or mowing tasks in a fairly flat area, little or no loader work: 2wd is fine.

Any significant slopes, serious mud, lots of loader work, moving earth, any real tasks other than mowing with a tractor under 30hp: 4wd makes a big difference.

IMHO, 2wd makes sense for mowing, hay work, pulling around grain bins, and a few other farm tasks. If you're not a farmer and the tractor will be used for anything besides mowing, 4wd is very useful or even essential.