100+hp tractor recommendations

/ 100+hp tractor recommendations #1  

Negligence

Bronze Member
Hi everyone, I'm in the market to purchase a used, second tractor for the farm. I need something that will be responsible for ploughing, discing, seeding, and running a discbine on 135acres over the years, and possibly an extra 30 acres on top of that.

4wd and dualies have been recommended to me, and I'm pretty certain I want both these options especially for ploughing in the spring. I'm partial to Case and Ford, but don't want to exclude any other worthwhile heavy ag tractors.

Any recommendations on a good workhorse I can keep an eye out for?

EDIT: I'm only looking at used, not new. Budget is $20 to $40K, so that puts me between 1980s-2000 I think.

Last edited:
   / 100+hp tractor recommendations #2  
If you include the used market there are literally hundreds of excellent used models in that size range that would be excellent for you.

Just in Ford/IH modernish ag machines you'd have whatever the current numbering is, and the TS, TM, 60, 40, and 30 series all with powershift transmissions with 100+ hp models in them. I'd steer clear of the TW's despite being cheap hp.

What is your budget? What else are you doing on the farm? Do you already have a chore tractor? Are you just looking for cheap hp without all the day to day comfort?

/ 100+hp tractor recommendations #3  
Give us a baseline price to work with. "Used" can mean anything from slightly used lease return of a year or two old to vintage 60's workhorse and all points in between.

Newish.... And right at the fine line of being smaller than you are searching for, but the finest tractor I've been around in some time, I have a 2007 Deere 6430 that I sure wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone. You're looking at $60,000 (+ or -) for low hours/good condition. They're rated @ 95hp.

Expand the search to include older models, and the sky is the limit.

/ 100+hp tractor recommendations
Sorry, I should have clarified... I'm only looking at used, not new. Budget is $20 to $40K, so that puts me between 1980s-2000 I think.

I do have a chore tractor already, a Kubota M7040 (2wd, rops -- a basic model). I know there are a lot of capable tractors in this bracket, I guess I was just looking for some good nominations.

I also harvest hay, but I've got some large areas that are overgrown from the previous tenant. We're signing a 25 year lease so I'd like to start getting the fields into a rotation. I need something more than capable to do this while giving me all the features I don't have with the Kubota: power, weight, cab, and 4wd. All the basics of most tractors this size

/ 100+hp tractor recommendations #5  
Also at the low edge of your hp are NH 7610S.. and can be had in 4wd.. also 95hp.. good solid machines.

Our local county uses them to mow with. I have a 2wd model and pull a 15' mower with it... can have the 540 pto stub swapped for the 1000 rpm pto.

Used.. you can find them in the 10K$ range.

soundguy

/ 100+hp tractor recommendations #7  
For your type of Tractor search what's available, condition and price would seem to be the prevalent factors. Maybe think a littler larger as you already have a nice tractor.:D

/ 100+hp tractor recommendations #8  
Not sure if you have seen it or not... but a while back there was a really good thread on 100+ hp tractors... Here is the link to it.

/ 100+hp tractor recommendations #9  
Hi everyone, I'm in the market to purchase a used, second tractor for the farm. I need something that will be responsible for ploughing, discing, seeding, and running a discbine on 135acres over the years, and possibly an extra 30 acres on top of that.

4wd and dualies have been recommended to me, and I'm pretty certain I want both these options especially for ploughing in the spring. I'm partial to Case and Ford, but don't want to exclude any other worthwhile heavy ag tractors.

Any recommendations on a good workhorse I can keep an eye out for?

EDIT: I'm only looking at used, not new. Budget is $20 to $40K, so that puts me between 1980s-2000 I think.

If I had your acres and budget, I'd look for a used Versatile or Steiger articulated 4WD tractor.

My neighbor plants his 150+ acres of hayfield using a 150-200 hp Steiger with dualies on all four corners. I've seen 150-200 hp Steiger and Versatiles go for $10-15K at auctions around here. Going this route you'd have plenty of budget left over for the 15-25 ft wide implements you're going to need to handle that much planting.

/ 100+hp tractor recommendations #10  
Isn't amazing how things have changed. A Farmall H when it was new was considered a 160acre farm tractor. Now we need (or think we need) 150-200hp to do the same thing. I'm sure there are countless studies out there about whats the right HP per acre into today's world. I wouldn't hesitate to farm 75-100 acres with my JD5400. Sure it would be slower with smaller implements but maybe profits would be bigger with less tractor?