compact utility or utility tractor

/ compact utility or utility tractor #11  
Hey jeb2,

I do not think that you will find the one mystical tractor that does all that you want!

Since your haying is down the road aways,I'd not worry about it right now. Just be on the look out for the cleanest,best twd 70 or so hp tractor that you come across. If all you are going to do is hay with it,get a good one to begin with,and do not worry about the 100 or so hours you'll put on it a year. a good low hour tractor will last you a life time with your intended use.

Get what ever the biggest cut is that fits your current needs.

If you must have a new ag-tractor take a look at the the above mentioned ones,plus Valtra,Zetor,Deutz,Agco,Massey Ferguson,and the NH TN series.

/ compact utility or utility tractor #12  
i agree, i think u will most make use of the bigger tractor, and get a riding lawnmower to cut grass around house.

/ compact utility or utility tractor #13  
I have an almost identical situation and am puzzling over the same question.

I still can't get past the HST issue, and right now would buy the largest HST model I could find which means an L4610 or a JD 4710. I think they will do everything except HEAVY haying, and do it better with the HST transmission. When I say HEAVY haying, I mean using a round baler, or a Moco. If you can do square bales, and do the separate cut/tedder steps, I think the smaller tractor is fine. If you want to use a Moco, round bailer, or giant tedder or disk mower, you'll need the bigger tractor.

If the Kubota M series had HST, I'd be considering an M9000, but I'm having a real hard time giving up HST, which for me makes every thing you do easier, in order to get something that can do big-time haying.

/ compact utility or utility tractor #14  
Good points Hayden, but something to keep in mind. If you have roll to the land you intend to hay, the weight of the tractor also becomes a HUGE consideration. Although it is true that a square baler only takes 35 HP to run, I would not want to pull one on hills with a light tractor. It sure would be nice if one of these days someone makes a utility sized tractor with a HST, just for me to try one out and see what I think...

/ compact utility or utility tractor #15  
You are so right on the weight issue. There is another guy on another thread that is going to pull a full-sized square baler with a little Cub Cadet 27 hp tractor. That's just insane to me. Even if your ground is flat. It's sure not worth tearing up equipment and worse getting someone hurt. That hst, extra 10k or whatever will seem like nothing once it comes to someone being hurt, killed or destroying a good little tractor. There's a reason that farmers have numerous tractors. There are enough accidents with tractors without setting yourself up for them. Penny wise an pound foolish just doesn't pay.

/ compact utility or utility tractor #16  
Good point Doc, nothing like serious injury to put things into perspective. I think that many people underestimate the size of equipment required to run balers. I consider my 5520 about the bare minumum size to run a square baler, and is probably too small to run any of the 5 foot round balers. I wish it were possible for some of our members to bale hay with their small tractors safely, but I am just not sure the demand is there for Deere, NH, Agco, etc. to make small lightweight balers in enough numbers to make it cost effective. I agree that there is a reason most farmers have numerous tractors, and most of them even rake with bigger than 27HP tractors.

/ compact utility or utility tractor #17  
Hi rf33-

I recently bought a CASE 385 utility and bought an owners and service manual after the fact. Both manuals have info on the two configs - manual tranny and HST. So I *think* that what you're looking for is out there.

FWIW, I'd also vote to go with the bigger tractor. Unless you're needing to do lots of work in closed quarters, IMO, it's always best to have more weight, width, length, power.

/ compact utility or utility tractor #18  
What do you consider to be heavy? An L4610 with loaded tires and FEL weighs in around 5000lbs, and a cab brings it close to 6000. Is that enough?

/ compact utility or utility tractor #19  
So what's a 5520 weigh?

I agree with all your points and don't see any way out other than: 1) Have someone else do the haying, 2) do it slowly with a small baler, small rake, small cutter, no Moco, or 3) get another tractor just for haying. Given the volume I'm talking about (25 acres), I just can't see the second tractor making sense. If I can't hay with a smaller HST tractor, I'll just have to get someone else to do it.

For me, giving up the HST is a non-starter. At the same time, I've never driven any shuttle shift fancy dancy new manual tractor and would like to. Maybe I'll have a religious conversion and can get that M9000.

/ compact utility or utility tractor #20  
With a small baler and not much slope I think you could get by with that tractor Hayden. You have to use a sickle mower or something to cut it but it could be done. Like I've said I've pulled my baler with my 4600 but it sure beat the heck out of it!!! I sure wouldn't want to do it all the time or for 25 acres. Mostly I just wanted to see if it would do it. I wouldn't want to try it with anything less though.