compact utility or utility tractor

/ compact utility or utility tractor #1  

Anonymous Poster

I can't decide between between a large compact utility tractor (Kubota L46, L4610 or JD 4710) and a small to medium utility tractor (JD5320 or 5420). I've got 200 acres, mostly in trees that I want to convert to pasture or food plots, and eventually cut for hay. I also want to maintain existing logging roads and fire breaks and add some more. It will also be used once or twice a year to till the garden, and bring in mulch

So if I go with the compact utility, I get a hydro tranny, and something narrow and lower with a tighter turning for working on roads, gardens, or other tight areas. Latter if I start bailing hay, I will need a second, bigger tractor to be used mostly just to run a bailer or MoCo

If I go with the utility tractor, I get enough HP to work faster, and if I start bailing hay, I won't have to maintain a second, older, tractor. Downside is I will have to accept a power-reveser or sync shift. If I were to move to the property, I wouldn't be able to use a finish mower attached to the tractor to mow arround the house

Price isn't a significant issue, but does prevent me from getting both a L46 and a 5520. Also my existing implements are sized for a compact utility sized tractor.

Jeb

/ compact utility or utility tractor #2  
AH, the fun of farming. Most farms your size will have more than one tractor. I would suggest you get the tractor that suits 70% of your needs (sounds like the compact) and look for a used second tractor (the big boy) to do the rest of you chores.
You can pick up some real deals on used tractors.

You prob wouldn't be satisfied with one tractor fits all for your application.

Rover

/ compact utility or utility tractor #3  
If you've got a lot of trees to take out you should consider a dozer. You can get a decent used one, take care of your work for a year or two then sell it when you're done. Neither a compact nor a utility will be your best weapon against stumps /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ compact utility or utility tractor #4  
Go with the smaller utility tractor for that work Jeb. You can do everything with the utility tractor and only part of what you want with the compact tractor. The utility tractor will be much better for maint. roads as well. If you set the wheels in you can get a finish mower for it as well. I have a 4020 and I can set my wheels in and cover it with a 7' finish mower that I have. I just mowed my lawn over at the new house this last weekend with it as I didn't want to truck my compact over there and it worked fine. Used my 279 to do around the trees.

/ compact utility or utility tractor #5  
Jeb,

I agree with cowboydoc. Go with the utility tractor. I don't have quite as much as acreage as you but I have about the same situation. Lots of trees and stumps where timber was cut. I could have used a dozer but couldn't afford one.

I also had a lot of light finish work that a compact would be ideal for. I finally decided that the utility was my best bet and I haven't regretted it.

I bought a Kubota M4900, the smallest of the utilities and it does everything well. The only complaint is working around and in between trees would be easier with a compact. However, some of the heavy work would be hard to do with the compact.

It is a compromise. Ideally you need two tractors but this is just not practical for most of us so you have to go with the one that can do the biggest percentage of the jobs well. I am convinced that is the utility.

TBone

/ compact utility or utility tractor #6  
With that amount of land and haying in mind go for the biggest tractor you can use cause otherwise you will end up buying it anyway to do the jobs required.

Egon

/ compact utility or utility tractor #7  
Gotta echo the get the utility sentiment. With 200 acres, some portion of it in hay, I would actually be looking at the JD 6000 series or its equivalent in NH. I think that the larger 5000 series (5420 or 5520) would be a good choice also, as well as possibly the TL series from NH. Depending on the type / size of bales you would intend to make, your HP requirements might just go up around 70-90 HP too. Do your homework as to what you might need to run with the tractor implement wise, and then start looking with those parameters in mind. I think that for your size property, a utility tractor and then a riding mower for your yard would be a better solution than a compact and another larger tractor.

/ compact utility or utility tractor #8  
Wishy-washy response here: I agree that getting the utility tractor would cover your requirements pretty well. But how far into the future would the extra oompf of that tractor be put to use? Around here, used 80-100 hp 2WD tractors are going for about 15K CDN. Tough decision - I can see why you posted here.

/ compact utility or utility tractor #9  
Consider the new, little known Kubota MX5000. I just got one last month. We, too, wanted to be able to hay in a few years and the 50 HP makes that feasable.

/ compact utility or utility tractor #10  
I think that a 50HP is a little small if that haying is to be round bales. If it is only going to be squares, then I think that you are just fine, but for round balers, most models require somewhere between 60-90 HP depending on the size of the bales (generally measures as width X diameter. Common bale sizes are 4X6, 5X6, and 5X7 around here, and for any of the 5X sizes, I would recommend a 6000 series Deere or its equivalent in NH or Case, or whoever in order to give it sufficient HP and weight.