What tractor would you recommend?

/ What tractor would you recommend? #1  

bnixon

Gold Member
Tractor
TC33D / 7308 ldr 60" HD bucket
I am in the market for a used diesel 1965-present tractor on a relatively light chassis. In the size range of a large compact or a small utility tractor. Around the 3000#-3700# range. With between 35-45HP. Would like it to be able to handle a loader/box blade/6ft brushhog/and 6ft 3pt finish mower. It will need to have a live or independent PTO and I would prefer not to have to use an extenal pump for the loader. Would like to be able to run the 3pt and loader at the same time. I can only spend about $9,000 for the tractor. What models would you recommend that would fit this description and be a machine that would last.

Thanks for the input,
Brandon

/ What tractor would you recommend? #2  
Brandon,

I sold an International 444 a couple of years ago that probably would fit the bill if you could find one. It was 38 hp (pto), live pto and good strong hydraulics. I think it weighed about 3800 lbs. It was a dependable, well built tractor that easily handled a 6' bush hog and disc but mine didn't have a loader.

Depending on what brands are available in your area, this size tractor should be easy to find in Ford (such as the 3000), Massey Ferguson or John Deere for well under your $9000 limit.

Remember, half the fun is in looking. Try to find some rural newspapers, farm market bulletins, etc. It's always been a pleasure for me to ride out in the country on a pretty Sunday afternoon to look at a tractor, whether I buy it or not.

Good luck in your search.

TBone

/ What tractor would you recommend? #3  
Brandon,

Consider a new Chinese import. They are not the same tractors from 3 - 5 years ago. You can get a brand new 35HP 4X4 Diesel with the features you mentioned for the price you're looking for. I'm too far away to be of service but you have a dealer in Belleville TX.

Vince

/ What tractor would you recommend? #5  
You can get one heck of a used tractor for that kind of money. I would check to see what your nearest dealer sell, then buy a tractor that you can by parts for without driving 4 hours. The common tractors are: Kubota, John Deere, New Holland (Ford) and Case-IH. There are others that are good too, but they may not have established dealers near you. I am partial to Case-IH, but all of these would be a sound buy. Look at machinerylink.com for a price check before you purchase.

/ What tractor would you recommend? #6  
Brandon, when I started seriously looking a few weeks ago, the one I zeroed in on was a IH 444 (this one was gas). All the specs were the same as Tbone mentions. It was (is) for sale up here for $5500, no loader, with 3100 hours. It has power steering (a must w/ loader); most older tractors I've seen don't. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ytmag.com>Yesterday's Tractors</A> has a really extensive site, with lots of photos that are searchable, so you can find what a particular model looks like, if they have it. Choose which brand right at the top, then photo gallery.

The one thing I learned right off was that older tractor hydraulic pumps may not have the flow to move a loader as quickly - the dealer had another similar model with a loader and told me up front it was slow, but strong. As long as you aren't into production type operations, it should be no problem. I seem to remember flows in the 3-5 gpm range, not sure.

I've gotten the fever from my Dad and my "friends" /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif here on this site, so I'm looking at newer Kubotas now. Run away and save youself before it's too late! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif