Kioti DK45SE HSTC vs Kubota L4740 HSTC vs Montana R4944HST

/ Kioti DK45SE HSTC vs Kubota L4740 HSTC vs Montana R4944HST #1  

BrianWillan

Greetings

I have been lurking around the forums here for a bit now reading all of the great information from the other contributors to the site. There is certainly a vast wealth of knowledge on the site.

I am looking to acquire a compact tractor for use with a pull type snowblower for a residential snow removal business. I know next to nothing about tractors beyond a couple weeks worth of research and contacting dealers in the area.

For a snowblower, I am looking at a Normand N74-240INV with hydraulic chute rotation and deflector. As for tractors I have narrowed my choices to a Kioti DK45SE HSTC, a Kubota L4740 HSTC and a Montana R4944HST. These are 36/40/39 PTO hp respectively.

The main things I want in my tractor include a heated cab, HST transmission, 4WD, good reliability and easy to operate controls.

Other factors:

- the Kioti and Kubota have factory cabs with A/C, the Montana tractor would require and after market cab.
- The Kubota dealer is the closest to where I live
- The Kioti dealer is also a dealer for the snowblower I am looking at.
- The Montana dealer is the furthest from where I live, but has been the most helpful in my research phase thus far (customer service is a big factor)
- The Montana is cheapest by $2500 (based on MSRP) but the after market cab doesn't include A/C in that price ($3K option)
- The Kubota is the most expensive by $2100
- The Kioti falls in the middle price wise.

So, what sage advice, would you give a complete city slicker on the choices I have laid out so far? I am open to other tractors. There is a John Deer and a New Holland dealer in the area.

Thanks in advance for any help that you will provide.

Brian

/ Kioti DK45SE HSTC vs Kubota L4740 HSTC vs Montana R4944HST #2  
Brian - welcome neighbour! I am in Queensville - north and west of you.

My humble opinion would be to stick with Kioti or Kubota. Montana just does not have enough traction around here. Kioti seems to be just reaching the point where people recognize the brand and the dealer network is getting to be a reasonble size. Ask yourself how well you will be able to service / get parts etc. if the dealer you purchase from disappears. The only Montana dealer in my area is a tiny lawn and garden repair place. Simply a question of critical mass. Another thing is a factory cab. I'd take one over aftermarket.

I think that the Kioti DK45SE is probably the best value for your money in this class of tractor. It has the beefiest loader. The Kubota has the HST+ vs. Kioti has the simple plain HST.

One thing Kioti has going for it as an absolutely awesome dealer in Uxbridge. I don't know if you have been dealing with him (Dick Ott) - Lakeview Equipment - but if you haven't take a drive up there - not too far from you. He's in it for the long haul and has been in the area with his other business D.T. Powersports for a long time. He was previously a Kubota dealer who carried the lawn and garden stuff upto the BX models and decided to expand into larger equipment and went for Kioti.

I really really like the new Grand L 40 machines. The big plus for me would be the HST+. Also check out the cab and see which you prefer - Kioti vs. Kubota.

Pretty hard to go wrong with these machines if you ask me.

One question I would ask is do you REALLY need this size tractor for a snow removal business? Personally I would go with something smaller just to be able to fit into smaller areas - like a JD3520, Kubota GL3540 etc.

You ought to check out the JD machines. The cabs are really quite nice.

/ Kioti DK45SE HSTC vs Kubota L4740 HSTC vs Montana R4944HST #3  
The JD 3720 with cab is a very nice setup. So is the cabbed bota 3130. I agree that you might not need that big of a tractor. But, given where you are, you just might too. Consider a plow on the front and a blower on the back. MichigonIron can hook you up with a real sweet plow blade setup for the Kiotis.

/ Kioti DK45SE HSTC vs Kubota L4740 HSTC vs Montana R4944HST #4  
Hi Brian,
The new factory cab on the DK45SE is very large and has the best defrosting system I have seen, also has filtered air or recirculated air.
The biggest thing I hear from shoppers is that the other dealers tell them you can't get parts and service. NOT TRUE!! we are a larger dealer in NH and we have no problem getting any parts and as far as service goes that would be a dealer trait.
We do not have to keep an expansive inventory of parts because we find the the tractors are simple and do not break very often.
This is why Kioti has come out with the four year parts and labor warranty with NO HOUR LIMITS on your entire driveline, the best in the industry. I have found that they will not nickle and dime us on repairs and step up to the plate when customers have a problem.
Check out your local dealer and let him know you are serious and I am sure he will do whatever possible to make you happy
The Kioti is the better choice, but I am truly biased.
KiotiDave

/ Kioti DK45SE HSTC vs Kubota L4740 HSTC vs Montana R4944HST
Greetings

Thanks for all of the quick replies so far.

As for the size of the tractor I am looking at getting for a snow removal business, I am already on the small side of things. One of the large residential snow removal business in Quebec (they know snow ;-) ) are using Kubota M95X or New Holland TS110 tractors with 92" pull type blowers.

Check out a couple of videos for an idea.

YouTube - New Holland with inversed blower

Or if you want to go bigger. ;-) New Holland TV145 with 98" snow blower

YouTube - TV 145 tractor with pronovost snowblower

As it is, I am already smaller (tractor and blower wise) than what the large high volume guys are doing. As shown in the videos, all I would be doing would be driveways, no sidewalks, no hand shovelling.

I will have to check out Michigan Iron, their name has popped up a few times already reading this site. I don't know if I will need/want a plow, but it is always nice to have options/backups as our old friend Murphy tends to show up at the most unexpected times.

KiotiDave, I would be surprised if you would have recommended anything else. At least you are honest enough to admit your bias. ;-)

Cheers

Brian

Last edited:
   / Kioti DK45SE HSTC vs Kubota L4740 HSTC vs Montana R4944HST #6  
Tongue in cheek, you should buy my L5030 HSTC! Actually there are really good deals out of Que on used tractors setup for snow removal at the end of the winter. Often already setup with a pull blower or a rollover box blade on the loader.

/ Kioti DK45SE HSTC vs Kubota L4740 HSTC vs Montana R4944HST #7  
   / Kioti DK45SE HSTC vs Kubota L4740 HSTC vs Montana R4944HST
As far as the Montana's go, why not look at the Montana's that have the factory cab? There are 3 models in your power range, 4340C, 4940C, U4984C. All very nice tractors with factory cabs. There is a very good deal on a John Deere in the TBN classifieds. TractorByNet.com Classifieds Item 807407631 - John Deere 4720 tractor with a cab and 400X L

I initially did look at the Montana tractors with factory cabs. I visited the only Montana dealer that responded to my inquiries and found out that their utility line of tractors (4340, 4940 and 5740 with and without cabs) are being replaced with their new U(43,49,57)84 line. As for pricing the U4384C has a MSRP of $42K Canadian dollars (no loader) and doesn't even have hydrostatic transmission as an option. For comparison sake, for the $42K price, I could get 62hp PTO tractors with factory cabs from Kubota or New Holland (M7040 and T4030 respectively)

After visiting a second Kioti dealer in my area, the DK45SE HSTC is the cheapest by $2K and I believe this is the best dealer to work with for me.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Brian

/ Kioti DK45SE HSTC vs Kubota L4740 HSTC vs Montana R4944HST #9  
I initially did look at the Montana tractors with factory cabs. I visited the only Montana dealer that responded to my inquiries and found out that their utility line of tractors (4340, 4940 and 5740 with and without cabs) are being replaced with their new U(43,49,57)84 line. As for pricing the U4384C has a MSRP of $42K Canadian dollars (no loader) and doesn't even have hydrostatic transmission as an option. For comparison sake, for the $42K price, I could get 62hp PTO tractors with factory cabs from Kubota or New Holland (M7040 and T4030 respectively)

After visiting a second Kioti dealer in my area, the DK45SE HSTC is the cheapest by $2K and I believe this is the best dealer to work with for me.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Brian
IMHO buy the Kioti.I looked at quite a few brands of tractors before I bought my Kioti DK40SE last year.I have no regrets.coobie

/ Kioti DK45SE HSTC vs Kubota L4740 HSTC vs Montana R4944HST #10  
Thanks for your input.
Cheers
Brian

I was unaware of the discontinued models, sorry to send you in the wrong direction. I did know that the U series was a lot more money though. It looks like Montana may be jumping the gun with these higher prices. Maybe you could get a really good price on one of the discontinued models. My local dealer has 2 of them, just because they are discontinued doesn't mean that they are no good.

Just my opinion, good luck with your search, that used JD looks pretty. good