Need Recommendation for good hill tractor

/ Need Recommendation for good hill tractor #11  
I haven't really seen it talked about much here, so I will add my two cents worth. The wheels for most R-1 Ag tires have a number of different positions in which they may be mounted. Filled R-1s mounted in their widest positions will give you the most stability for any given tractor. The lower the tractor is to the ground, the better, as well. Good luck in your search.

/ Need Recommendation for good hill tractor #14  
Massey Ferguson has a low profile option on their utility line of tractors. They utilize smaller diameter tires to lower the center of gravity. On the 2 wheel drive tractors the front spindles are shorter than the normal profile tractors by 4 inches. Here's a link.

MF 500 Series Low-Profile

/ Need Recommendation for good hill tractor #15  
You do not say what you will use the tractor for. I have a Power Trac that is rated to go sideways on a 45 degree hill. My land is not that steep where i run the tractor but i do not have to think twice using the tractor with the loaded bucket raised where my New Hollands would have a wheel off the ground even with the bucket low. But if you were spending every day turning over dirt with a plow, the Power Trac would not be a good choice. Lots of information here on their forum.

Ken

/ Need Recommendation for good hill tractor #16  
Lots of good advice here.

In summary: get the lowest profile tractor with the widest width, longest length, most power, and have some weight to go with it. 4wd is a big plus regardless.

Power Trac had a slope mower with these features. It was long, low, wide and heavy with 4wd. The seat even had a pivot so while the mower was sloped (side hill), the seat was vertical.

Good Luck

Yooper Dave

/ Need Recommendation for good hill tractor #17  
Don't know what it is that you will be doing with your tractor and most likely out of your price range that you are looking for, but if you want to feel like your glued to the side of a hill try either a New Holland or Landini crawler.

/ Need Recommendation for good hill tractor
Thanks for all the good info - I get online infrequently due to dial-up (not a speed issue, but sharing time among the family!). Since a few have asked, I don't plan on doing hay - yet another thing I know nothing about and plenty of neighbors who do. Main tasks will be bush hogging and some grading work right now. Wanted a tractor big enough to carry round bales in case we go that route. I'm sure we'll come up with more tasks once we have the tractor - since I need to cross fence, putting in fence posts comes to mind.
Again, thanks for all the info!

/ Need Recommendation for good hill tractor #19  
Though the attached file shows a small tractor, it looks like it might do well on a hill.

Yooper Dave

Attachments

• 430.jpg
    430.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 180
   / Need Recommendation for good hill tractor #20  
My PT1850 has a 90" bush hog. There are something like 40 or so accessories for it including grapple buckets, mini hoe, stump grinder, etc. The biggest limitation to this model is the 1200 lb lifting ability with the FEL. I do not know what size or weight the round bales are that you want to do. There are other models that are limited to crosswise on 30 degree slopes or so that have a larger lifting capacity.

Ken