Again...need buying advice. Thanks

/ Again...need buying advice. Thanks #1  

dwhite

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota G1900s, B-7610, L-5240
I have a rather hilly 66 ac farm (20-30 in fields) and need an appropriate tractor. I am spoiled by the HST on my Kubota B7500 so that's a requirement. I plan on using the new tractor for general farm work, bush hogging, hay making, blading. Need 4WD and FEL also. I'm thinking of something in the 40-60hp range. I've looked online but not at the dealers. I have Kubota, JD, Massey, and NH dealers local. Thanks for your advice.

/ Again...need buying advice. Thanks #2  
It's a crap shoot, you live near the top three dealers. One thing that would help you decide would be the service / attitude you get from the dealer.

Ask each dealer to bring a Demo out for you to play with for a couple of days drive each and that will make the decision for you.

I know when I was looking I swore by Kubota but thought I needed a change and selected a New Holland because the size of the cab and other things but there were no dealers near me so that was out.

I then for some strange reason started looking at skid steers Hmmmm, yep that's what I ended up with as it's the Victorinox of tractors and haven't looked back.

And yes it was the CAT dealer that gave me the best attitude and service.

The sales guy cam right over and brought a demo with him without e asking and said here play with it and give me a call when your done.

I called him up and said where do I sign.

/ Again...need buying advice. Thanks #3  
Keep on sitting in different ones till you find the one that tells you to take it home.:D

We surely will not know which one it is but you definitely will.:D

eg: I know of one case where one colour was preferred but another chosen just over the location of one lever. The fellow said, "I'm not hitting my knee on that lever for the next 25 years"

/ Again...need buying advice. Thanks #4  
Keep on sitting in different ones till you find the one that tells you to take it home.:D

We surely will not know which one it is but you definitely will.:D

eg: I know of one case where one colour was preferred but another chosen just over the location of one lever. The fellow said, "I'm not hitting my knee on that lever for the next 25 years"

Excellent Advice.

jb

/ Again...need buying advice. Thanks #5  
I just traded my B7500 for a L3940, to be delivered tomorrow. I tried the L3240 and the L3940. The extra power of the L3940 is very noticable. I stayed with the HST. I have a M9000 with the hydraulic shuttle shift, so I can tell you the HST is the way to go on small tractors.

/ Again...need buying advice. Thanks #6  
I like my L3940. I suggest you try barlowequipment.com if you're looking at a Kubota he has some good prices.

/ Again...need buying advice. Thanks #7  
I have a rather hilly 66 ac farm (20-30 in fields) and need an appropriate tractor. I am spoiled by the HST on my Kubota B7500 so that's a requirement. I plan on using the new tractor for general farm work, bush hogging, hay making, blading. Need 4WD and FEL also. I'm thinking of something in the 40-60hp range. I've looked online but not at the dealers. I have Kubota, JD, Massey, and NH dealers local. Thanks for your advice.

My neighbor has a 2007 Kubota L4630 with a 6-ft wide FEL bucket that's in the low end of your HP range (45 hp engine, 3 hp pto). Nice machine. I had a 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto) with the LA302 FEL--4-ft wide bucket) that I liked a lot. Kubota's are solid machines.

I traded that B7510 for a Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, PS, standard gear tranny) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft bucket) since I going haying on my 10-acre property. Cost was under $20K.

Mahindra makes solid, heavy machines. But as far as I can tell from their website, Mahindra doesn't offer HST in higher HP tractors.

Farm tractors for Ag Farmers, Hobby Farmers - Sub Compact, Compact & Full Size 2WD & 4WD Utility Tractors

You can get nice syncromeshed shuttle shift trannies in the 40-60 hp range.

You want HST, but it doesn't hurt to check out other trannies that may fit your budget better. HST is nice for jobs where you're reversing the tractor frequently, e.g. FEL work. Shuttle shift is good for jobs where you're going forward most of the time, as in haying (plowing, discing, planting, raking, baling).