Post Hole Digger

/ Post Hole Digger #21  
Yes, it is that bad. I don't have the stand for my bush hog phd. It's a bear to put on. What I found that makes it easier is to separate the gear box from the boom. Mount the boom and then reattach the gear box to the boom and hook of the drive shaft.

/ Post Hole Digger #22  
Yes, it is that bad. I don't have the stand for my bush hog phd. It's a bear to put on. What I found that makes it easier is to separate the gear box from the boom. Mount the boom and then reattach the gear box to the boom and hook of the drive shaft.

Well I hang mine from a beam in the barn, but it's still uncooperative.

Ken

/ Post Hole Digger #23  
My PHD stand is a post hole about a foot and a half deep. I just leave the auger in the hole which keeps it from falling over when I disconnect it from the tractor. It's not something that is going to get stored inside anytime soon.

/ Post Hole Digger #24  
Anyone try a TSC or Speedco PHD on a Kubota BX?

I have 10 holes to dig for a new deck and probably another 15 for a fence along the front of the house. Wondering if it's worth a $600 investment. My local rental guy is about $100 a day with the auger. I know if I had one I'd probably expand the fencing.

Edit**
Looks like my local TSC sells Farmforce PHDs

/ Post Hole Digger #25  
I have one of those orange 2 ton engine hoists from HF.
I tried it one time when I needed to disconnect the PHD for maintenance and that is my preferred method now.

/ Post Hole Digger #26  

I made a stand out of some 2 X 4's ( legs) and a piece of 4 x4 ( support beam). basically in the shape of a kids swing set. Back the digger under it, choke it with a good piece of 3/4" rope to support beam and unhook it. After you do this a couple of times you'll figure out where the balance point is on it. I ended up marking mine so I choke in the same spot everytime. Since figuring out the balance point I can manuever it around to hook it up pretty much with one hand. I can say it was some thing else to hook up before I came up with this idea for a stand to hang it from.

/ Post Hole Digger #27  
This is how I hang mine. Works very well, takes about 5 minutes for complete hook up.:D Top 4x4 is removed after PHD is hooked up, then drive away.

Attachments

• PB040025.JPG
    PB040025.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 226
   / Post Hole Digger #28  
It just occured to me that maybe I'm hooking mine up wrong. I always hook up the lower link arms first, then fight with it to align the top link pin. Maybe it would be easier to do the top first, then the lower?

Does everyone do the bottom arms first or last?

It doesn't help that I keep mine hanging from a barn rafter at the side of the barn and have to back in at an angle with tight maneuvering room to get to the PHD.

Ken

/ Post Hole Digger #29  
It just occured to me that maybe I'm hooking mine up wrong. I always hook up the lower link arms first, then fight with it to align the top link pin. Maybe it would be easier to do the top first, then the lower?

Does everyone do the bottom arms first or last?

It doesn't help that I keep mine hanging from a barn rafter at the side of the barn and have to back in at an angle with tight maneuvering room to get to the PHD.

Ken

The way I have always done it, is to hook up the top first. At least at that point it won't try to fall over on you. Then with the tractor running I raise the lower arms hydraulically until I can hook in the lower arms. Then raise the whole thing to disconnect it from my storage stand. When I put back on the storage stand I do it in reverse order with the top pin being the last to be disconnected.