What would you recommend

/ What would you recommend #1  

laen64

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335 SST;FERRIS IS 1500Z 25hp 52"
I'm new to tractors but don't want' something that I will grow out of in a hurry.
I"m looking to manage a 5 AC plot with mostly grass and no current obstacles ie.. tree or roots etc..
I also have an 11 ac plot clear normally used for peanut farming. I'm now looking to keep the grass cut and maybe learn a little gardening on the large plot.
Please advise as to the type and size of unit that I should take on using a pull mower, disk harrow and front loader.

Thanks
Larry
P. S please take into concideration that I wan't to be economically sound! inexpensive that is.

/ What would you recommend #2  
It depends on how much gardening you are going to do. If you are going to do any plowing, cultivating and disking, I would reccomend at least 50 HP. If you are going to do a small garden plot of 100 feet or so, just about any tractor will do using a correct size tiller.

/ What would you recommend #3  
You want old or new.

Something like an old ford or MF ( ford hundred series or thousand series.. MF 35/135.. etc.. ) will do ya nicely.. and pull a 2-bottom plow and at least a 6.5' disc.. etc.

post back more info.

soundguy

/ What would you recommend #4  
I have 6 acres been regrading, gardening,maintaining drive,use forks for
moving materials.I have B7800 30hp very happy with it except i wish it
could lift more on fel.Framer

/ What would you recommend #5  
I'm new to tractors but don't want' something that I will grow out of in a hurry.
I"m looking to manage a 5 AC plot with mostly grass and no current obstacles ie.. tree or roots etc..
I also have an 11 ac plot clear normally used for peanut farming. I'm now looking to keep the grass cut and maybe learn a little gardening on the large plot.
Please advise as to the type and size of unit that I should take on using a pull mower, disk harrow and front loader.

Thanks
Larry
P. S please take into concideration that I wan't to be economically sound! inexpensive that is.

My neighbor uses a 1950s vintage Ford 8N on his 10 acres for haying (discing, seeding, mowing). Another neighbor with a 1980s JD 2640 does the baling. You can find 8Ns for less than $3K. However, finding one with an FEL is more difficult and the 8N is not particularly good for FEL work (weak front axle, no power steering).

If you have a grey market tractor dealer nearby, you might find a 20-25 hp Yanmar with a loader for under $7K. These are small loaders with 4-ft wide buckets and less than 800 lb lift capability.

If you need a larger FEL, then you'll have to step up in tractor size and hp. Soundguy pointed you in one direction. Something like a 1960s Massey Fergusion MF-150 with an FEL might run $7-8K.

/ What would you recommend #6  
Hi Laen64. B7800 would make you a good machine for what you described.
Cost to buy and operate are less than bigger units.It will work all day no problem.Mowing and maintenance great.plowing,disking little slower.If you
want to get done faster go bigger.Good luck brother.Framer

/ What would you recommend #7  
My B7800 will pull a 5' brush hog, a 6' RFM, and a 7' disk harrow with no problems. It also has a QA loader. It is one of Kubota's best sellers. Hate to hear that Kubota is discontinuing this model. It's a tank.