Question about ford 3600

/ Question about ford 3600 #1  

Christian Haggmark

Hi I am about to buy a 1980 ford 3600 with front loader. 2 owners only, it has 589 hours supposely? How can I make sure that it is correct? (first time tractor buyer)
The tractor seems to be in good shape, buy far the best one I have driven.
Is 7500 to much? It comes with a heavy duty box blade as well.

Would really appreciate some inputs!

Thanks

Christian

/ Question about ford 3600 #2  
Inspect the clutch peddle very closely. It should have very distinct traction diamonds on it. 600 hours is piddly and not enough to have rubbed the clutch peddle (and brake peddles) smooth. Inspect the pins in the loader for wear (looseness). Pins are 1-200 per each and bushings are 50-100 each plus installation.

Then use the FEL to lift the front end. Up as high as it will go. Then (without putting your body under anything) grab the tires at 12 and 6 oclock and see how much wiggle is in the front end. Also wiggle the front axle back and forth. Also time the drop rate of the loader.

Test the clutch by putting it in high gear on a solid surface with the clutch in and the engine at an idle. Then side step the clutch (let it out instantly). A good clutch will catch and the engine will die or buck. If it just slowly takes off it is worn out.

Inspect the grease fittings, fluids and other normal things like the air cleaner.

jb

/ Question about ford 3600
HI Jb,

Thank you for your answere. The bucket seemed to go down fairly quickly but up a little bit slower. Is there a specific time for up and down? I tried to put it in high gear like you told me, and it died. So I guess it is a good sign? What do you think about the price if it is true that it only has 600 hours?

Thanks

Christian

/ Question about ford 3600 #4  
Hi I am about to buy a 1980 ford 3600 with front loader. 2 owners only, it has 589 hours supposely? How can I make sure that it is correct? (first time tractor buyer)
The tractor seems to be in good shape, buy far the best one I have driven.
Is 7500 to much? It comes with a heavy duty box blade as well.

Would really appreciate some inputs!

Thanks

Christian

Welcome!

JB gave you some good advice.

If it's as nice as you say, it's a steal IMHO. If it's a 6 or 7' HD BB on the back, and the loader has downpressure, and it's straight w/o welds and bends with a decent bucket, I'd jump on it (if I were in the market). You didn't mention if it's gas or diesel, but I believe both have their virtues, diesel being preferred by most.

Good luck, and let us know what happens

Lunk.

Hi,

Thank you guys for all the help. It is really valuable to me! If there is someting else I should think about please let me know!

Thanks

Christian

/ Question about ford 3600 #6  
The 3600 was a slight upgrade of the 3000. The internal hydraulic pump was about average for it's time, but would be considered a bit smallish by todays standards. That probably accounts for the slow up cycle time on the loader. Those pumps made adaquate pressure, just at a lower flow rate than is common on todays tractors.

I owned a 3000 from new in 1973 (72 model tractor) until 3-1/2 years ago. During all that time, I had a Kelly loader on the tractor. When I finally sold it, the reasoning was a VERY worn out front end. (axle center pivot, spindles, steering, even the axles sagging) Loaders can be tough on that front end. (same components on 3000 & 3600) Make certain front end is still in decent shape. (If you can, jack the front end up, taking all weight off front axle and check for slack in any wear points)

That is EXTREMELY low hours on a tractor of that age, but not unheard of. (I've been watching an auction coming up in Illinois with a 1982 Deere 4440 with FIFTEY SEVEN hours on it!) Look at those wear points on clutch/brake pedals, running boards, ect, as well as examining the STEERING WHEEL for wear. Look closely at ball ends on 3-point hitch, and the hitch pin hole in the drawbar. Excessive wear there would probably indicate more hours. It's a piece of cake to get a new dash panel for that tractor. That'll give you a new proofmeter/tach, one with a fresh start and a bunch of zero's.

Price is a little steep, but if the hours are accurate, and the loader is in decent shape, not too far out of line. Really good tractors of that era command a nice price.

/ Question about ford 3600 #7  
Good Afternoon Christian,
I think all the guys pretty well covered all your questions, but I thought I would just throw this link out to you !

TractorData.com Ford 3600 tractor information

This site does have some helpful info on it. It looks like the tractor originally retailed for $7200 but of course thats without a loader !

Good Luck !

Hi,

Thanks for all info. I have a question about the loader and the pump that one of you guys mentioned. This might be a stupid question, but has the speed of the loader any connection to how much it can lift? And also, how much weight can I put in the bucket on these models?

Thanks

Christian

/ Question about ford 3600 #9  
Hi,

Thanks for all info. I have a question about the loader and the pump that one of you guys mentioned. This might be a stupid question, but has the speed of the loader any connection to how much it can lift? And also, how much weight can I put in the bucket on these models?

Thanks

Christian

I don't know where to find that info, but knowing the make/model of the loader would be a must. I had an old piece-o-crap Fasco loader on my '65 Ford 2000 that was rated at 1200#, but even with a giant 7' snow bucket on it, it never failed to raise (even with wet snow...). It was slow, and had no downpressure, but got the job done...

/ Question about ford 3600 #10  
check the hole in the drawbar if it has one, should be round with them few hours, if its worn must have more hours, another thing make sure its the original hour meter, a lot of those stopped working after a few years and some will replace them. but then again it really may be the correct hours. i have a 1978 3600 with only 1500 hours, my dad bought it new.