Tractor Reliability

/ Tractor Reliability #1  

dking

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE / Massey Furguson 165
I used TBN to do some research before I bought my new tractor. One thing that struck me was how folks are giving their relativley new tractors two thumbs up for reliabilty.

I have a Massey 165 that's been around since 1974 and even in sub-zero temps, I give it a shot of quick-start and it fires up and goes to work. I can honestly say that is a reliable tractor that has passed the test of time.

Talk to me in 35 years and I'll tell you if my Kioti DK45 is a reliable tractor.

/ Tractor Reliability #2  
That's true, but reliable, and durable are 2 different terms in my mind.

Durable, proven with the test of time.
Reliable, starts everytime, and everything works.

A machine can be reliable, but not necessarily durable. As in " it ran great for 3 years, then fell appart". A machine can be durable without being reliable as well such as " There's always a little item that doesn't work (lights, switch), but in general its hasn't worn out".

One of the reasons I don't pay much attention to JD Powers rating either, as they only rate cars for 3 years. The first 3 years of a car should be trouble free, but some cars fall appart not long after. Since I save my cars for 7-9years, I can't rely on those ratings.

Out of curiousity, where did you buy your Kioti?

/ Tractor Reliability #4  
I used TBN to do some research before I bought my new tractor. One thing that struck me was how folks are giving their relativley new tractors two thumbs up for reliabilty.

I have a Massey 165 that's been around since 1974 and even in sub-zero temps, I give it a shot of quick-start and it fires up and goes to work. I can honestly say that is a reliable tractor that has passed the test of time.

Talk to me in 35 years and I'll tell you if my Kioti DK45 is a reliable tractor.

Welcome to 2009. Instant ledgend. Instant Dynasty. Instant hero's.

I'm in more or less the same boat with my MF150. 38 years of hard use, and I'd give it 2 thumbs up for reliability and value. I own a couple other tractors that have been around for years and still step up to the plate whenever asked.

For my mowing business, I own 1 that's 2-1/2 years old, 2 more that are 1 year old and 2 brand new ones. They're GREAT tractors, no doubt, but to call them reliable? Not yet. Even with the oldest of the 5 having almost 4000 hours already, it's just now proving itself as a good tractor in my book. I'll hand out the gold stars when they reach 10 or 15 years of hard use.

They're ALL nice when they're NEW!

/ Tractor Reliability #5  
Good points.

However, while the lack of failure can't define "reliable", having trouble in the first 0-10 years DOES define a problem machine!

So, when I read the posts with a new-ish tractor being "reliable", it is at least a good sign post a the highway to reliable and durable!

And my 10 year old Kubota has so far been reliable as every time I've needed it, I could RELY on it to perform.

My buddies 1955 Ford 640 just lunched the clutch. Guess it's not that durable after all...

jb
jb

/ Tractor Reliability #6  
My buddies 1955 Ford 640 just lunched the clutch. Guess it's not that durable after all...

jb

Still diggin' stumps in frozen ground.. nearly 54 years and he ain't gonna change old habits?? :)

AKfish