How many hours?

/ How many hours? #1  

Beaux Duke

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L48
I'm looking to buy a TLB but I'm new at this game. When looking at the number of hours on a piece of equipment, what's considered "excessive"?

I'm pretty good at looking at a truck and taking mileage into consideration but hours have me stumped. Obviously the lower the better but what sort of useful life (barring breakage and abuse) can you reasonably expect from the loader, the back hoe and the engine on a well maintained piece of equipment?

Hours only tell you how long the engine has been running but not what each attachment has been doing. I can spot the obvious defects such as leaks, bad bushings, etc.

So is 300 hours a year a lot?
Is 1000 hours for a 2 year old model excessive?
Is 4000 hours the equavalient to 100,000 miles on a truck?

Sorry for so many questions, but as I said, I'm new at this game.

/ How many hours? #2  
8000 without a rebuild and it's getting to where it will start costing some.

Industrial TLB's should go 8-10k hours before a rebuild. Companies often trade them off when they reach 6500 to 8000 as they cost is too high. For a business, "cost" includes lost work while a machine is down. So they are more sensitive to both the down time and the repair costs than us casual users.

/ How many hours? #3  
I think it would also depend upon how the TLB was used/abused, and how it was maintained.

I've seen relatively low-hour stuff that appears to have been beaten to death, and high-hour stuff that looked pristine.

/ How many hours?
Well, I agree with you Lunk, that's why I'm only looking at units that haven't been abused. I can usually spot signs of covering up problems with autos but I'm new at the tractor game.

I'm looking at either a Kubota L39 or Deere 310. Nothing industrial although the ads would lead you to believe that.

I've noticed lots of used Kubotas with 2 to 500 hours with what I'd say was a pretty good drop off the price I've been quoted by dealers for new.

Most of the used Deere units I've seen listed seem to have considerably more hours than the Kubotas to be at the same price level. (Is that telling me something???)

I think I'm comparing 2 relatively equal TLB's. Price is a factor but not a deal breaker for the right unit. I'm leaning towards the Kubota but only because my cousin has one and I'm thinking we can share implements/attachments.

My brother in law has a Mahindra and swears by it but for some reason I don't find it that appealing for the work I have in mind for it.

I've trolled this forum for a while now and have seen the reviews/testimonies for each TLB and I don't think I could go wrong with either for the work I have in mind UNLESS I let someone sell me a clunker.

Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone wishing to chime in, your opinion is valued.

Last edited:
   / How many hours? #5  
Uh..... the Deere 310 is a 75 hp 14,000 pound machine. The L39 is a 35 hp 7500 pound machine.

They are not equal in any way.

Unless you are looking at some other "310 deere"

jb

/ How many hours? #6  
Uh..... the Deere 310 is a 75 hp 14,000 pound machine. The L39 is a 35 hp 7500 pound machine.

They are not equal in any way.

Unless you are looking at some other "310 deere"

jb

I'd guess that he meant to hit the 1 key instead of the 3...

Sure would be nice to buy a 310 (equal hours) for the price of a L39!! :)

AKfish

/ How many hours?
Yep, I made a typo.
Definitely a Deere 110.

/ How many hours? #8  
The smaller machine might be easier to duck under tree branches. On the other hand I'll take the extra reach and depth of the larger machine every time. The reach keeps you back from pond edges, holes and less moves when trenching.

Take your time looking inspect for leaking cylinders, loose pins etc. You may run across a contractor needing cash and find a good deal.

/ How many hours?
You may run across a contractor needing cash and find a good deal.

I was thinking along those lines.

It doesn't appear that people down here in S.E. La use the internet much. All the units I've seen that have caught my attention are up in cold country.

The one's I have got to inspect locally weren't in very good condition although the owners didn't agree with me. Go figure.

BTW Thanks for your response John bud. That's what I was looking for.