Tractors in the 40 HP Range

/ Tractors in the 40 HP Range #1  
Hello all!

I've been reading the forums here for a while and really appreciate all the good information I've been able to gather. I'm looking at purchasing a new tractor and really like the looks of the MF 1540.

I haven't looked much at the other brands, but I'm open to suggestions. What are the similar tractors in the other brands? I guess I'm lazy, but I figures the combinded knowledge here is much better than talking to the dealers first :cool:

I plan to equip it with a loader and possibly a backhoe.

My current configuration for the MF 1540 is:

-1525 loader with the skid steer quick attach bucket
-Large R4 tires
-Power Shuttle 12x12 Transmission
-1580 backhoe

Main uses would be light loader work and light to moderate bush hogging. The backhoe is optional right now but with 0% for 72 months it is very tempting to add! :rolleyes:

Thanks,
SF

/ Tractors in the 40 HP Range #2  
Welcome to TBN!
Pretty much all the manufacturers have models in the range you mention and your stated usage can be accomplished with any of them.
A lot of folks look towards an HST trans if they are looking at doing substantial FEL work.

Warhammer

Hello all!

I've been reading the forums here for a while and really appreciate all the good information I've been able to gather. I'm looking at purchasing a new tractor and really like the looks of the MF 1540.

I haven't looked much at the other brands, but I'm open to suggestions. What are the similar tractors in the other brands? I guess I'm lazy, but I figures the combinded knowledge here is much better than talking to the dealers first :cool:

-Large R4 tires
-1580 backhoe

Main uses would be light loader work and light to moderate bush hogging. The backhoe is optional right now but with 0% for 72 months it is very tempting to add! :rolleyes:

Thanks,
SF

/ Tractors in the 40 HP Range #3  
I'd be looking at a kioti dk40s I believe is shuttle. Though I'd get the se for the hst. I know of no other 40hp with the front end loader lift capability. Though hopefully someone will chime in and enlighten me. Then again, some will stay with kubota or John Deere for resale value and parts availability.. I've never owned one of them so ????

/ Tractors in the 40 HP Range #4  
I would check every dealer within your area. I would imagine that every manufacturer has good deals. Just buy and help out the economy! :D

/ Tractors in the 40 HP Range #5  
Like others have said all major brands have a tractor in the 40HP range. Sometimes it's more important on how well you can work with a dealer. Depending on your area some dealers will be geared toward a specific market and they won't necessarily want to deviate from that. As an example if a dealer mostly deals with large farms and only wants to handled 100+HP tractors they may consider someone who only wants a 40ish HP to be nothing more than someone wanting to mow there lawn. Financing is a great way to buy anything but.....Most of the best financing is to only get you in the door and what you get coming out of the door is a machine that after 100hrs find out that it's just not the machine for you. In my opinion find the machine that matches your requirements and then work with either the dealers financing or another source (bank, cu, etc). BTW my 5103 is in the 40ish HP range and so far I've loved every moment in the seat and have just passed the 100 hour mark.

/ Tractors in the 40 HP Range #6  
Hello all!

-Large R4 tires
-1580 backhoe

Thanks,
SF

My neighbor bought a nice Kubota L4400 (45 hp engine) that has a 6-ft FEL bucket. Kubota's are nice machines. I had a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine) with a 4-ft FEL bucket that I used for 3 years with no problem. Traded it in last year for a Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine) with a 6-ft FEL bucket. Need a larger tractor for haying work and that 5525 fills the bill nicely.

/ Tractors in the 40 HP Range #7  
Main uses would be light loader work and light to moderate bush hogging.

I have a 40hp tractor (Kioti DK40se) so I cannot disagree with your target range much but I did note the intended uses and it made me wonder if you really need a 40hp machine. A 40hp tractor typically can pull a 6ft bush hog but if you are doing only light to moderate bush hogging you could get away with a 30-35 hp tractor pretty easily and use the same size mower. Likewise, if you had heavy duty loader work then the 40hp class machines are far better but for light loader work as specified, a 30hp tractor would be fine.

Again, I'm not trying to talk you out of the 40hp range but wonder why you came up with that size.

/ Tractors in the 40 HP Range #8  
If you like the 1540 why not look at the 1533 too? Basically the same tractor without the turbo. I had a dealer pull a MF and a Kubota side by side. After the comparision I deceided to get the MF 1533. It'sa great tractor and a little more economical to operate than the 1540, of coursr a little less power. Godd luck whatever you chose.

/ Tractors in the 40 HP Range #9  
Sorry for the rant in advance but
The backhoe is optional right now but with 0% for 72 months it is very tempting to add!
I cant believe with the current economy that any reputable company is offering zero financing and anyone is considering taking it. Although not illegal if you do a little research there are many consumer advocacy groups that believe it should be -- for good reason -it is one of the reasons we are in the current economic crisis globally. If you can't afford something now, why pay more for it over time? If you think money lent over a period of time is free -- please send it to me and I promise to repay it in 72 months:rolleyes:. Again sorry for the rant:eek:
Regards

/ Tractors in the 40 HP Range #10  
We were tempted by the 0% offer, figuring that we could get a return on our money, while using their tractor. Read the fine print, ask the questions. The tractor at New Holland was $1000.00 less if we paid cash. So much for 0%. And you have to insure the tractor with them. We got a much better rate at my insurance company.
The New Holland TC35A has been great.