Some advice needed!

/ Some advice needed! #1  

chrisfoot

First post! Have been looking at subcompact tractors. Looking at Mahindra, Kubota, John Deere and the Cub Cadets. It seems that the Cub Cadets have the best financing. 0% up to 60 months. Although I could swing paying cash, I'm more than a little nervous considering the current economic conditions. Would like to play it safe - job is OK, but why press your luck.

If I can get the 0%, I say why not let them use their money to finance my purchase... But my local Cub Cadet dealer is about a grand higher on the SC2400 than his competitors. He is also very close (5 mins) and treats me very well. Excellent service and will stop out when I have problems. That kind of service is rarely seen anymore.

The one that is a grand cheaper is 45 miles away. But, my local dealer is probably going to give me a much better deal on my very used LT1050 Cub Cadet. The dealer 40 miles away said, that he would take it on a trade but "we probably won't give you much on a 2007 LT1050 with 160 hours". I kind of felt like I had to force it on him.

I don't have a truck so I'd have to rent a pickup to haul that tractor to the other dealer to get a price on it....

I can't even get the other dealer to ball park a trade-in figure. Does anyone know what a LT1050 in very good shape would do on a trade-in?

/ Some advice needed! #2  
First post! Have been looking at subcompact tractors. Looking at Mahindra, Kubota, John Deere and the Cub Cadets. It seems that the Cub Cadets have the best financing. 0% up to 60 months. Although I could swing paying cash, I'm more than a little nervous considering the current economic conditions. Would like to play it safe - job is OK, but why press your luck.

If I can get the 0%, I say why not let them use their money to finance my purchase... But my local Cub Cadet dealer is about a grand higher on the SC2400 than his competitors. He is also very close (5 mins) and treats me very well. Excellent service and will stop out when I have problems. That kind of service is rarely seen anymore.

The one that is a grand cheaper is 45 miles away. But, my local dealer is probably going to give me a much better deal on my very used LT1050 Cub Cadet. The dealer 40 miles away said, that he would take it on a trade but "we probably won't give you much on a 2007 LT1050 with 160 hours". I kind of felt like I had to force it on him.

I don't have a truck so I'd have to rent a pickup to haul that tractor to the other dealer to get a price on it....

I can't even get the other dealer to ball park a trade-in figure. Does anyone know what a LT1050 in very good shape would do on a trade-in?

Nope. But you might try posting in the Lawn and Garden forum here on TBN where lawn tractors are discussed. Ask yourself what would you pay a dealer for a 2 year old very used LT1050 and then halve that number to get a ballpark trade-in value.

/ Some advice needed! #3  

Sounds to me like your local dealer is a good one, while the "45 miler" has some potential for future disappointment.

I'd tell your local guy about the other price, and ask (don't demand) if he can get a little closer to "45 miler's" number. If not, I think I'd still buy from the local guy. I think It'll be worth the extra grand to have a good dealer down the road a few years. Besides - The difference in trade numbers may help make up some of that grand too.

My .02

Lunk

/ Some advice needed! #4  
I agree w/ lunk, a thousand dollars is not to much money considering the grand scheme of things. I actually myself spent about 1500 more for my purchase last summer because the dealer is as 8 minute tractor drive from my house, I also dont have a truck and the dealer has a great reputation. Actually it was about a 3k difference for me because I was trading in a New Holland to go to a Kubota so the New Holland dealer would have given me a better trade in value as well, but the re-assurance of them being great and so close made the extra money a no brainer for me. Good Luck.

/ Some advice needed! #5  
Last time I heard MF has 0% for 72 months.

/ Some advice needed! #6  
Most dealers that far away would stop in at your place and look at your old unit when passing through the area, no hauling needed. If the closer dealer gives you more for a trade in you are talking about less than a thousand dollars difference. If you trade you may save some on sales tax also if it applies. I too think I would go with the dealer 5 miles away. Good luck.