King Kutter standard vs. professional

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional #1  

SouthernX

Silver Member
Hi,

I went to the King Kutter (KK) website ( King Kutter Incorporated ) and found that it list KK equipment as either "sub-compact", "standard", or "professioal". For "standard" tillers it shows a "King Kutter II". For "professional" tillers it shows a tiller that is labeled "King Kutter Professional". What is the difference between the "standard" and "professional" tillers? The only difference that I noticed is that the tube / shaft from the PTO box only extends to one side on the "professional".

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional #2  
Well that is a good question. Comparing the KK II and the Pro tiller they have the same number of tines, same hp requirements and the weight is the same. Maybe they put better paint job on the pro model. :D

MarkV

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional #3  
I looked at 'em at the National Farm Machinery Show in Feb. (Louisville Kentucky) The reps were busy, and I had no intentions of buying another tiller, so I didn't ask questions, but, the demo models were unpainted, so I could see one BIG difference. The DEMO models were built with stainless steel. I'm not sure if standard production models of the "pro" line is SS or not. Look at the "chassis" construction of the standard and professional models.....Quite a bit of difference. (Standard is box tubing and sheet metal construction, where pro line is formed sheet iron.) The new pro line looks VERY well built. Now if they can just sell 'em as cheap as the standard models.....:eek:

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional #4  
The difference I have seen in the Professional models is a heavier gauge steel with more reinforcements. I recently bought a 7 ft blade that was a professional model. Pretty HD compared to the standard...

Attachments

• KK Pro Blade..... 017.jpg
    KK Pro Blade..... 017.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 487
  • KK Pro Blade..... 018.jpg
    KK Pro Blade..... 018.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 298
  • KK Pro Blade.crop... 015.jpg
    KK Pro Blade.crop... 015.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,583
  • KK Pro Blade..... 013.jpg
    KK Pro Blade..... 013.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 313
   / King Kutter standard vs. professional #5  
Heavier gauge steel is what I normally expect when comparing different duty ratings within a given product line. In this case, based on the web site, the tiller models seem to weigh the same amount.

If what Farmwithjunk saw at the show, and Stainless was the difference I could understand that . I am still surprised that both models would weigh the same.

Of course it could just be poor web site management and I don't have the facts.

MarkV

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional #6  
Heavier gauge steel is what I normally expect when comparing different duty ratings within a given product line. In this case, based on the web site, the tiller models seem to weigh the same amount.

If what Farmwithjunk saw at the show, and Stainless was the difference I could understand that . I am still surprised that both models would weigh the same.

Of course it could just be poor web site management and I don't have the facts.

MarkV

I'm not convinced the actual production models would be stainless steel. The various "pro" implements they had on display were unpainted, so they may have been fabbed up from stainless just for that purpose.......show.......

The pro grade tiller is a totally different chassis/frame. It's built without the 2"X2" box tubing structural members. If weights are in fact the same, the sheet metal would have to be a good bit heavier gauge.

All I can say for certain is the pro line tillers really do LOOK good. That's been the ongoing "knock" against KKII tillers.....their appearance. A well finished, well painted KKII tiller would be a tough act to beat, so long as they can keep the cost in reason.

The original!
kkiitiller.jpg

New and improved!

prodPEPT.jpg

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional #7  
The professional appears to be a spin off of their "flat top" design that they have had around the plant in Ohio for a few years. I live relatively close so I see a lot of what they are playing with from time to time.

They also have a seven footer that is not listed on the web page, but if you call and ask for one they will put you down for the next time they run a series of the larger tillers.

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional
The professional appears to be a spin off of their "flat top" design that they have had around the plant in Ohio for a few years. I live relatively close so I see a lot of what they are playing with from time to time.

They also have a seven footer that is not listed on the web page, but if you call and ask for one they will put you down for the next time they run a series of the larger tillers.

It figures I would find out they sell a 7 ft model after I just bought a 6 ft. model. I haven't put it to work yet so I know the store would let me exchange it for a 7 ft model. However, I'm thinking that my 52 PTO hp might not be enough to turn a 7 footer properly. I wonder what the 7 ft. tiller sells for.

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional #9  
Looks like the gearboxes are the same on the "standard" and the "Pro" models... just different frame/sheet metal.

/ King Kutter standard vs. professional #10  
It figures I would find out they sell a 7 ft model after I just bought a 6 ft. model. I haven't put it to work yet so I know the store would let me exchange it for a 7 ft model. However, I'm thinking that my 52 PTO hp might not be enough to turn a 7 footer properly. I wonder what the 7 ft. tiller sells for.

I don't know where you buy them from, but at the plant they were about $250 more.