Post Hole Digging

/ Post Hole Digging #1  

SouthernX

Silver Member
I need some post holes dug and I was wondering what people usually charge to do this. I assume they charge by the pole but maybe not. I'm trying to figure out if I want to pay someone or rent / buy a unit for myself.

/ Post Hole Digging #2  
I guess you have to consider if purchasing a machine is worth the price, like if you will use it more than a couple of times etc, We rented a post hole digger a few years ago to put in the boots required by code for the deck we were building. I would imagine hiring someone to do alot of post holes would be benificial, but just for a few I would consider renting, unless you really are looking for a reason to get a new toy : ) any excuse is a good one when it comes to toys ;)

Chris

/ Post Hole Digging #3  
If I was doing the post hole digging it would be on a by the hour basis. Sometimes they are not as easy as one would like them to be. Just a basic PTO digger starts at $500 and goes up. Depending on how much you will need to use can take you from there. On the safety side, PTO diggers have the reputation of being one of the most dangerous implements. So do be careful if you use one.

/ Post Hole Digging #4  
Google Custom Farm Rates for the state you live in and find a recent year for some price indications.
As I recollect the latest year "average" I could find was about $3-4 per post hole. I would assume that price covers only easy digging.
On my farm it takes at least 45 minutes with tractor/PHD and hand tools to get a post hole ready to drop the post into. Since I will need upwards of 60 line and corner post holes dug I figured it made sense to buy a PHD and learn to use it.

Warhammer

I need some post holes dug and I was wondering what people usually charge to do this. I assume they charge by the pole but maybe not. I'm trying to figure out if I want to pay someone or rent / buy a unit for myself.

/ Post Hole Digging #5  
If it takes that long... I would consider getting one with down pressure on the 3 point.

/ Post Hole Digging #6  

It really depends on how many holes you need, and how many you will need in the next several years. I still have a 4-inch hand-auger, and I have a regular post holer. They are fine if I just need one or two holes.

Twenty to thirty years ago, I just rented a two-person post hole digger when I needed more than fiver or six holes. It was very inexpensive to rent one for the day, and I just had to trick a crazy friend into assisting.

For a number of years, I've had a 3-pt PHD for my tractor. As stated above, it takes a while to get it setup and ready for digging. A good used PHD for a tractor can be found for $150-$250 if you are willing to wait until one comes up for sale in the local newspapers.

/ Post Hole Digging #8  
You'd have to look for a while to find a rock at my farm. Its all pretty much clay.
On most of the holes the ground had been row cropped for decades and with the yearly plowing the PHD would go right down. It took a few iterations with the PTO PHD and the hand operated clamshell PHD to clean out the hole but for the most part was workable.
Some of the holes were in areas that had not been farmed and a couple of those took hours getting through the hardpan.
I bought a Rhino PHD with 9" auger. While I like it, if I had it to do over, I'd buy the next model up as it has a downforce kit available for it whereas mine does not.

Warhammer

warhammer, I hear the Belltech unit is pretty good in those CenTex rocky soils. What kind did you buy and how do you like it?

/ Post Hole Digging #9  
Can the posts be pounded in? Depending on what kind of fence you are installing and your soil conditions, pounding is by far better than augering. Labor would be less and the post would be better set with no mess.