What to do?

/ What to do? #1  

snooks

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM2500
I have 2.5 acres to mow and want to do some landscaping in my yard (ie, remove gravel from drive to pour concrete, level dirt floor of pole barn to pour concrete, fill and level settled sewer line trench, pull box blade, and possibly dig out hill side for room addition). Live in Illinois with good black top soil, not rocky. Currently own an 8N which I have been very happy with, except I can not realistically add a loader. So, time to buy something. I have looked at the Yanmar, NH, JD, Belarus, MF, Kioti, and Kubota. I want the biggest bang for the buck and can afford any of the above. Would I be better off with a 30hp used or a 20hp new? Would a 20hp 4x4 do the same work of a 30hp 2wd? How about a 24hp 4x4? I am looking at Kioti or Kubota new (dealers close by) vs Yanmar or MF or Hinomoto used. What is the best way to go?

I understand the grey market disadvantages (ROPS, questionable parts support, ect), so there is no need to review that issue. Resale isn't really an issue either, as I will probably keep it for a very long time. Since I have had an 8N, pretty much anything is considered more refined. So I am not really set in my ways for any particular option like Power/shuttle shift, but would be nice. Concerned more about Reliability, HP, and value. Please HELP?

/ What to do? #2  
snooks,

Sounds like you're a candidate for Muhammads book!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Also, you just need to spend some time cruising TBN to do some basic reseach?

1) Wake up early on a rainy day
2) Fire up the PC
3) Start the coffee brewer
4) Connect to your ISP
5) Pour a cup of coffee
6) Bring up TBN and research to you hearts content

There's a wealth of information to get you kick started. Then go out and visit your dealers. Just like buying a car, but more fun. Kick the tires, test drive, and get some basic costing info (don't even consider price as a factor - just get the basics). Don't forget the pretty colored glossies!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif They help you with comparasions later on. Get to know the dealers a bit. They are the key to a good deal and you're perception of the product. Look into their repair shops and parts department. Check out the employees. This tells you alot about the dealers.

Now for the important part - don't listen to anyone color preference. Choose what suits your needs and work with a dealer you can trust. That will lead you to as close to tractor nirvana as possible. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Terry

/ What to do?
Thank you. I have done all the above and now have information overload. I guess the biggest issue is how much difference is there in a 20hp vs a 30hp. May just split the difference and go with a 25hp. I have even had some dealers tell me to get a 30 - 40 hp. I am sure I don't need that big a unit.

/ What to do? #4  
If you go new and want the most bang for your buck, go with the Kioti. You will pay a premium price for the top 3. As far as horsepower, for what you plan the biggest difference between a 20 hp unit and a 30 hp unit, is the amount of work you will be able to get done in a given amount of time. You will have to work a little slower with the lower hp unit. Definitely go with the 4wd on the smaller tractors, it lets you apply more hp to the ground.

/ What to do?
TerryinMD: I see you have a JD 4100. I have looked at them and they look real nice. My only concern was is it too small? What do you do with yours?

/ What to do? #6  
Snooks,

I'm not too far ahead of you on the quest for a new tractor...and have asked myself all the same questions. I'm still debating between two different brands but think I have resolved myself to the size I want. /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif

I've got 5 acres, all flat, with 2 of those acres in trees and I've opted for 25 - 30 hp. Many dealers have suggested I could easily get by with 20 - 25 hp so I don't think you would hurt yourself there.

Since I'm looking at going with an "off brand" I don't want to take a chance of getting something too small for my needs. I do believe off-brands lose their resale value quicker, but like you I don't plan to sell anyway, but I would hate to be forced to sell because I discovered it was simply too small.

On the flip side, I had one dealer give me an excellant price on a 35 hp that he needs to move but I felt like it was just a little too big for manuevering through the trees....so much to consider! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Good luck

/ What to do? #7  
snooks,

My 4100 is used to do the following:

1. Mowing with MMM
2. Plowing with 14" single bottom moldboard
3. trenching and harvesting potatoes with a 15" middlebuster
4. FEL w/toothbar - rip, mash, bash, dig, pull, push, haul, level, maul, breed mosquitos (when not in use /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif), etc
5. Till large garden with 58" rotary tiller
6. Bush hog with 48" rotary cutter
7. smooth out soil with 78" disk harrow
8. Ballast box for 3pt hitch when moving heavy materials
9. draw bar with various hooks and clevises to pull and haul heavy items
10. Teaching younger daughter some basic business practices with small mowing jobs in our subdivision (plus that key word responsibility to her customers and her employer (me))
11. Towing small trailer to haul stuff
12. Attach a 42" lawn sweeper to pick up leaves and grass clippings
13. 5 ft rear blade to grade and clear snow in winter

Think that pretty much covers it. I have been very surprised at what this little 20hp CUT can do. I even helped pull out a mid sized backhoe from a neighbors house when he got it stuck in the mud last fall.

Yeah... I guess I'm a little proud as to what my 4100 can do for me. Do I want to get a bigger one - oh yeah!! Working on the CFO already for an upgrade. Maybe next year - have to see what the future brings..... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif That's after I butter her up for a new pick-em-up. Dodge is bringing out a HD Ram with a Hemi.... oh boy... will that be fun to drive!!! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Terry

/ What to do? #8  
Snooks,
been there done that .....
8N's are cool. I had one, wish i could have kept it for fun more than the work around here (brush hoggin hills without live power can be an experience).
Then i got a mitsubushi 17hp diesel w/ 3ph and all. Dealer that sold mitsu closed up. Had a real hard time getting help with the mower deck when i needed it, and just getting basic parts (I hated ordering belts over the internet, but i did it). Didn't like that situation at all. very frustrating. At least New Holland dealers are about everywhere, so i didn't have a parts issue with the 8N.
So in shopping around I found that nearly new models really hold their value, many were about as expensive as new; but financing for new gets you a lower interest rate .... So, after alot of shopping i went with a new 30hp L3010. What a relief it is once the decision is made. Quite a load off.
4wd sure is nice. I can do things i wouldn't even attempt with my 2wd tractors.
Good luck in your search.
moon

/ What to do? #9  
SNOOKS: i think u might want to think about a 20 to 25 hp with 4wd. anything much larger than that is overkill for your needs.u have to think of waht u want to do 90% of the time then buy for that. sometimes bigger is not always better.

/ What to do? #10  
Snooks,

Concerned more about Reliability, HP, and value & looking at Kioti or Kubota new.

You can buy a larger tractor for less $ when shopping off brand just like cars, furniture, and computers. Why do people pay more for brands? Reliability that the dealer is going to be there in 10 years, value that the inital investment retains, and comfort in knowing when it does break, parts and service are readily available.

I don't question that the big 3, or even the 4,5,6 tractor vendors will be here for the next five years, but when you need to do something and you can't because of a parts or service issue that's the difference. I also had a 3 Cyl Mitsubishi - great little unit, but parts were on line from dealers I didn't know.

As to HP, it's not what you've got, it's how you use it when dealing with digging, excavating, planting etc. HP should be a concern if you are doing brush hogging, baling, and PTO intensive tasks like this, and in this case get a 28-40HP tractor, but from your post, I believe a 20-25HP would suit you very well.

I happen to like Orange, and the BX22 is a nice unit with a MMM, and a BH to transplant those trees, or dig a small foundation for an addition, as well an FEL for cleanup. From what I have seen and read on TBN this seems like a good fit for the tasks you have in mind.

Good Luck and Enjoy the Journey,

Carl

Carl