4100/4110 Owners: What's the best size bucket?

/ 4100/4110 Owners: What's the best size bucket? #1  

Bertilak

Tractor
JD 4115
4100/4110 Owners: What\'s the best size bucket?

I ordered a JD4110 with a 410 FEL and I'm wondering what is the best size bucket for the tractor. The 410 FEL can take a 48", 53", or a 61" bucket. The dealer told me he plans to install the 61". Several TBN posts, however, indicate the 53" bucket might be a better match for the 4100/4110 (i.e. a full 61" bucket sometimes is too much for the hydro).

So what do you guys think?

/ 4100/4110 Owners: What's the best size bucket? #2  
Re: 4100/4110 Owners: What\'s the best size bucket?

I have the 49" bucket, and I'm disappointed in the capacity. Get the largest size. You can use it to capacity for light bulky material, and if you should happen upon some very heavy material, just don't fill the bucket all the way. If the 60" sticks out too far, then go with the 54" bucket.

/ 4100/4110 Owners: What's the best size bucket? #3  

Bertilak,

I have a 4100 with the 61" bucket. It works very well. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Of course if you try to lift up anything greater than the capacity of the FEL, you can expect problems. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I haven't yet and I have moved large boulders, gravel, soil, asphalt millings, hauled around 30 ft trees with about an 8" diameter trunk, etc.

<font color=red>[soapbox]

Please search TBN for numerous discussions on the following. I will not provide any recommendations one way or the other.

[off soapbox]</font color=red>

The important thing is to have enough rear ballast. Pick your poison - box blade, ballast box (bought or homemade), filled tires, wheel weights, your wife (don't laugh - I've used mine a couple of times in a pinch /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif. Her idea - not mine!!!)

Hope this helps

Terry

/ 4100/4110 Owners: What's the best size bucket? #4  

I have a 4200 with the 61" bucket and can't imagine giving up over a tenth of that width. I like the idea of my bucket being wider than my tracks. I'll probably use mostly 5' implements with it for the same reason. I agree with the above post about volume vs. weight; You can always load less weight in your 61" bucket but you can't load more volume in a 54" bucket. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif The weight difference between the two buckets (and, hence, the carrying capacity difference) should be negligible.

/ 4100/4110 Owners: What's the best size bucket? #5  

In retrospect I wish I would have ordered the 53"er with my 410 FEL. I got the 49" (50" overall width) with the 4115 which, with R4's, measures 53" sidewall to sidewall. Bucket capacity is not a big issue for me since I'm retired and time is not in short supply.
Next trip to the dealer I'll check on swap possibilities.

/ 4100/4110 Owners: What's the best size bucket? #6  

Bishoff,

The dealer most likely will be happy to take a trade on the bucket. It is the hardest thing to choose. Are our eyes bigger than the mounds we move or the wallet we hold. In the next few months I will move on my new machine just in time for winter.