JD 790 4x4 vs. TC 30 2wd

/ JD 790 4x4 vs. TC 30 2wd #1  

mr4shootin

Tractor
Ford 1720 4wd shuttle
28 hp,ps,4x4,gear drive with industrial tires.134 hours looks like new.It also has a new JD 300 loader.It is on a Kioti dealers lot and he is asking $12,500.Does that sound like a fair price or do you think he might come down a little or maybe throw in a bushhog.

I'm new here and looking for my first tractor to be used at my 365 acre hunting lease for mostly bushhogging.I probably don't really need the loader but a lot of people say I will find many uses for it if I had it.

He also has a TC 30 30 hp, 2wd in like new condition with 111 hours for $9,500 would it do ok or should I go with something else.I will be making some clearings in thick woods that can get a little wet.

/ JD 790 4x4 vs. TC 30 2wd #2  
The 790 sounds small for 365 acres. How much needs bushogging?

/ JD 790 4x4 vs. TC 30 2wd #3  
Prices seem fair, though I'm hardly up on that stuff. I'd take the 4X4 over 4X2 no matter the brands. These tractors are all pretty light and the extra traction of 4X4 makes up for a lot of weight. Also, the loader will be one of your most used attachments once you get used to having it around. I call my tractor my "30 hp wheelbarrow".

I agree with budlite, either seems small for that sized property, but it depends on exactly what you are planning on doing.

/ JD 790 4x4 vs. TC 30 2wd #4  
I just traded in my 2004 790 with 419 loader. 168 hours and in beautiful shape. They "showed" me $10k on a trade, but knocked a little more money off the other end of the deal on a Kubota B3030 HSDCC.
I'd say that $12,500 is probably in the right neighborhood for that 790. Definitely take the 790 over a 2WD tractor.

/ JD 790 4x4 vs. TC 30 2wd #5  
How much brushhogging? 365 acre and a 790 or TC 30!!!! WOW:eek:

/ JD 790 4x4 vs. TC 30 2wd #6  
get the 790. they should not even make 2wd compact tractors. in any slippery conditions they are horrible. the loader will be your most used attachment. when u get weight in a loader bucket, 2wd is worthless. sounds like a fair price too.

/ JD 790 4x4 vs. TC 30 2wd #7  
I have a 790 too....and will be using it for my deer hunting land. I have 107 acres. Most of the land is full of trees and trails. I only plan to have about 3 or 4 acres of "crops" and about two acres in trails with clover on them.

The point is: only about 6 acres get brush hogged and tilled or disced. And I'm hopeful the 790 is big enough for the tasks (although this is my first year with it and I cant speak from experience). There will be some trees to skid and such...but any tractor should be big enough for that task. As Rob said that loader and the 4WD will be your friends. It's also easier to get through...and work around trees with smaller sized tractors and implements. The implements are cheaper too. Those prices seem good to me.

I think the question you need to answer is how many acres are going to work or have in food plots? That will determine a size for you.

/ JD 790 4x4 vs. TC 30 2wd
I have a 790 too....and will be using it for my deer hunting land. I have 107 acres. Most of the land is full of trees and trails. I only plan to have about 3 or 4 acres of "crops" and about two acres in trails with clover on them.

The point is: only about 6 acres get brush hogged and tilled or disced. And I'm hopeful the 790 is big enough for the tasks (although this is my first year with it and I cant speak from experience). There will be some trees to skid and such...but any tractor should be big enough for that task. As Rob said that loader and the 4WD will be your friends. It's also easier to get through...and work around trees with smaller sized tractors and implements. The implements are cheaper too. Those prices seem good to me.

I think the question you need to answer is how many acres are going to work or have in food plots? That will determine a size for you.

Same here. over 1/2 of the 365 is leased by a farmer who plants it in cotton and/or peanuts.I'll only be bushhogging the roads and small areas in the woods for plots and shooting lanes.

/ JD 790 4x4 vs. TC 30 2wd
I really wanted to find an older used tractor in the 5k price range but not having much luck with that.I was going to haul it up there and leave it so I wouldn't have to pull it back and forth.(I live near Ocala, Fla. and the lease is in SW Georgia).If I have to pay $12000 to $15000 for a newer one I don't think I would want to leave it.It seems that older tractors that are in good condition are priced so close to the two I mentioned it makes sense to me to get the newer one.

/ JD 790 4x4 vs. TC 30 2wd #10  
I have a 790 w a FEL and 5' BB. I don't know anything about the other tractor but my 790 has more power than traction and is great when in 4WD. I would go with the 4WD.