new tractor, new board, advice?

/ new tractor, new board, advice? #31  
It has not been my experience that self powered chippers of EQUAL quality cost less than PTO driven versions. For example Goossen makes the same chipper self powered and PTO driven. Self powered is more expensive.

I completely agree. However there isn't a PTO model that matches my needs. I'm talking about value, not quality and performance in the abstract. For my needs, the choices are:

a) Buy way more chipper than I need in a PTO model

b) Buy something that has enough performance and capacity for my needs

Believe me, if there was a lower cost, lower performance PTO based chipper that would suit my needs, I'd buy it in a heartbeat for all the reasons you added, especially the maintenance and bad gasoline issues.

I only need to run a chipper a few times a year at best for modest amounts of brush. This year I might've kept one busy for a whole weekend because of ice storms over the winter but that is not a typical year.

To your point, the Goosen is less than $4,000 for PTO and over $8,000 for self-powered. To my point, the Troy-Bilt or Earthquake that is all I need is self-powered and runs around $900. So for me and my needs, the lowest cost PTO model is still ~$3,000 more than an alternative that is acceptable for my use.

Maybe I shouldn't have asked why the PTO models cost more than the models with engines so much as why there are not smaller PTO models. But that gets to the question of whether someone with my needs really needs a "real" tractor and I don't want to go near that question! :D

/ new tractor, new board, advice? #32  
To my point, the Troy-Bilt or Earthquake that is all I need is self-powered and runs around $900. So for me and my needs, the lowest cost PTO model is still ~$3,000 more than an alternative that is acceptable for my use.

If you look at the DR PTO powered chipper you'll see that it comes in much less than 3K and easily outperforms the Troy Built.

/ new tractor, new board, advice? #33  
Well any piece of equipement will up set. And sometimes the ones that are harder to upset really upset good,cause your on a steeper place.So,wouldn't worry much about that when buying a tractor,theres just some places at some angles and in some conditions,you shouldn't be there,unless you are getting it just for steep places and nothing else.

Industrial tires loaded will help.

The real steep areas ain't good for anything really,[other than growing timber or for deer and rabbits to hide],so,just let them spots grow wild.

/ new tractor, new board, advice? #34  
The original poster made a coment a couple of pages back about skid steer attachments. Pretty much anything that does not weigh more than the FEL can lift will work on the skid steer mount. FYI JD has there own version of quick attach. There is one very important point though, Skid steer attachments that require hydraulic motor drive will not work on cut hydraulics. Not enough flow from the internal pump. You could attach a PTO driven pump and all it's assorted stuff but it is not done much I don't think. Even some three point attachments are open to a lot of discussion , like log splitters.

/ new tractor, new board, advice? #35  
If you look at the DR PTO powered chipper you'll see that it comes in much less than 3K and easily outperforms the Troy Built.
The DR Chipper lists for $2600, on sale for $2300 (+ ~$190shipping) on their web site, my local DR dealer wants $2900+taxes!!?? So it is not much less than $3K.

/ new tractor, new board, advice? #36  
I don't think I'd buy a new chipper. Lots of used ones out there of the self powered variety for far less than new. Used PTO versions are harder to find though. I scoured long and hard to find mine. And on the new front, a lot of guys are happy with their chinese chippers that sell for way less than $3K.

If the guy is gonna make mulch, he'll need a heavy duty machine that can work quickly. Hence, may be the need for more hp.

/ new tractor, new board, advice? #37  
Isn't there also a Kioti dealer near Princeton? I'd definite try to check out Kioti. Heavy and stable, good value, strong hydraulics.

Also, would give Branson a look. Very heavy and wide, with a super strong loader.

Those hills in SWVa are pretty steep. Be careful. Definitely get the loaded tires.

Might want to reconsider the midmount mower for a rear finish mower due to price and ease of on/off.

While burning is a drag, chipping will flat out wear you out. It's hard work. A chipper that will efficiently produce a large number of chips might take a little more than 30 HP HST. I'd go at least a few more hp for that reason.

Can't have too many hydraulic remotes. I have one set of rears. Just bought a 3ph fork with it's own hydraulic high lift. Need 2 sets and a hydraulic toplink to use it to full capabilities. For blading, two sets lets you raise and angle from the seat of the tractor.

Lot of good tractors out there from many makers. Hard to really go wrong.
The Kioti dealer near Princeton is in Peterstown, WV on Rt. 219. I believe they've only been selling tractors 2-3 years, but have been a lawn and garden dealership for a while.

/ new tractor, new board, advice? #38  
The DR Chipper lists for $2600, on sale for $2300 (+ ~$190shipping) on their web site, my local DR dealer wants $2900+taxes!!?? So it is not much less than $3K.

I guess they have gone up in price. However, DR is a weird company. No one ever pays the list price as they are always having season start, middle or ending sales. I recall that the PTO version of their chipper could be had for well under $2000 (maybe $1500) just a year or so ago.

/ new tractor, new board, advice? #39  
Thats where I bought mine at,the one on 219,mountaineer power equipement.
Good people.They deliver.

/ new tractor, new board, advice? #40  
Yep, been to Peterstown many times. Dated a few girls from there in my younger days. Grew up across the river in Pearisburg. Suspect you'd get treated well down in that neck of the woods. Word travels fast. If you aren't doing right by your customers, you won't stay in business for long down there.