Tractor or ATV for hilly property

/ Tractor or ATV for hilly property #11  
ATV's aren't earth movers and don't make good mowers.

a 1:4 slope is sure gonna give you a pucker on a compact tractor.

Not sure what else to say. Maybe a tractor + a dedicated mower for the hilly parts? Or just a tractor and plant groundcover on the hilly parts...

/ Tractor or ATV for hilly property #12  
I already have the ATV (h450es 4wd); and i looked and looked for a mower system that I'd be happy with. Swisher makes a nice unit, but i tried a co workers it worked okay, but i didn't care for it. You have two motors running (ATV and the mower), the noise, and the heat generated by the ATV motor gets darn hot. It actually got uncomfortable after awhile.
After lots of shopping and research on TBN, I finally got a kubota grand L3010, FEL and a 3pth rear discharge mower. Really a sweet setup. I don't think you could go wrong if you went with the 2410 and i think it would be in the price range you mentioned. These CUT's will amaze you on the hills. And once you get a FEL you won't want to be without one ever again.
Good Luck in your search;
Moon

/ Tractor or ATV for hilly property #13  
I have all 3: hilly property, tractor, ATV. There's no overlap to the functionality of the two types of equipment. Sort of like should i buy T-shirt or jockey shorts -- different applications.
You will get a tractor, and somewhere down the road, you'll acquire an ATV too. Note that tractors can be made stable on hills -- wheel positions, wheel weights, etc. ATV's are not as easy to be made hill-friendly. Wheel hub extenders and after-market wide wheel/tires can help, but generally ATV's cannot go where tractors can. And some ATV's have a very high seat position, making the center of gravity incompatible with sidehill travel.
jim

/ Tractor or ATV for hilly property #14  
<font color=blue>generally ATV's cannot go where tractors can. </font color=blue>

Jim -- I'm not sure what sort of ATV you ride, but my Foreman 400 is much more stable than my L3010 when traversing slopes. I routinely take the ATV across the slope of the pond (45 degrees) with no tippy feeling whatsoever. I'd never even think of exceeding 20 degrees with the tractor, even with wheels at the widest setting and loaded as they are. I love my tractor, but on slopes (and none of my 155 acres is close to flat except right around the house) I prefer the ATV because it's as stable as a goat.

Pete

/ Tractor or ATV for hilly property #15  
I have both a tractor (bx22) and an atv (2002 Yamaha Grizzly 660). I say get the tractor. Mowing with one of those pull behind mowers is a PITA. Trust me :)

/ Tractor or ATV for hilly property #16  
I absolutely agree with you, but the issue was whether or not the ATV or the tractor was more stable traversing slopes. There are many valid reasons for getting a tractor over an ATV, but stabliity is not one of them.

Pete