Mulcher / Forestry Cutter Buying Advice

/ Mulcher / Forestry Cutter Buying Advice #1  

ZNR

We are looking to expand our business here in Oregon and we were looking at the mulching devices out there and were fairly impressed by their capabilities. I was looking for a used system that would be worth looking into. Any ideas on brands/specs of implements and machines would be greatly appreciated.

/ Mulcher / Forestry Cutter Buying Advice #2  
I would be real carefull buying a used mulcher head. If it was owned by a private owner who used it lightly, maybe. The one I've seen from commercial outfits were wore out and are considered outdated.

/ Mulcher / Forestry Cutter Buying Advice #3  
i have an asv with the new cab and a gyrotrac mulcher for sale

/ Mulcher / Forestry Cutter Buying Advice #4  
Gyrotracs are supposedly very fast too.

/ Mulcher / Forestry Cutter Buying Advice #5  
We are looking to expand our business here in Oregon and we were looking at the mulching devices out there and were fairly impressed by their capabilities. I was looking for a used system that would be worth looking into. Any ideas on brands/specs of implements and machines would be greatly appreciated.

Contact your local Vermeer dealer and ask for help locating used "quality" equipment.

/ Mulcher / Forestry Cutter Buying Advice #6  
As far as the head goes i would recomend either a Denis Cimaf 180d or Gyro trac toma-ax 500. I have a Cimaf an it out performs my old Fae head two to one hands down. As far as the carrier it depends on how much your going to be mulching, if you plan on doing 75% or more mulching with the machine get a machine purpose built for muching. If your going to use it for movein dirt, logs, landscaping i would recomend a skid steer. But take my advice say away from a Cat machine, I have a Cat 297c it's a good dirt movenin machine don't get me wrong but when it comes to mulching it's always over heating. The ac filter are in the wrong location an the forestry package Cat puts on these machine is a joke. I have a friend runing a asv pt-100 forestry edtion he seems to like it an hasn't had a problem with it. For advice on a bigger machine i would talk to a guy on this forum that goes by cbturf.

/ Mulcher / Forestry Cutter Buying Advice #7  
the forestry asv i have now have never got over 210

/ Mulcher / Forestry Cutter Buying Advice #8  
Yes I have an '05 asv rc-100 with magnum mulcher head I'd sell too. I like it but ready to do something else.
On the other note the gyrotrac or dennis cimaf seams to be the ones to beat!! Wish I had one!

/ Mulcher / Forestry Cutter Buying Advice #9  
I am pretty convinced that you need a dedicated mulcher. If you want to do forestry work you need a forestry machine. I run an FTX-140 and it has had some problems in the past but Fecon has it running like crazy now. Since I came back out to New Mexico in August I have cleared 584 acres with a month off for Christmas. Tell me any skid steer or CTL with any head that can perform like that! If you want to do dirt too get a small used skid steer and a dedicated mulcher. My advice though is to stick to a core business, pick a job, whatever it may be, and be the best contractor in town.

/ Mulcher / Forestry Cutter Buying Advice #10  
Yep sounds good cb, I'd agree with ya there. You got it going on out there in NM, how you get a job way out there??