Starting from scratch; basic advice needed

/ Starting from scratch; basic advice needed #31  
Congrats on the decision to keep and work the farm.

I would suggest that you not make hay on your farm. If you "put a pencil to it" you might very well find that it makes more sense to purchase hay instead. Store your hay properly in a shelter to minimize waste. Learn about efficient hay feeding methods (cone feeders work well for example, but you do have to move them or see that it does not get too muddy around them). Learn about rotational grazing and forage stockpiling methods to minimize the amount of hay required in your operation.

If you decide to not make hay you will not need to purchase/maintain/store a bunch of expensive hay implements. Also, you could possibly then consider a less expensive 50 -60 HP tractor instead of a 70 - 90 HP model.

I agree with others who suggested that you go with a 4wd tractor and front-end loader.

Good luck!

/ Starting from scratch; basic advice needed
I like the idea of something in the 50 hp range. That is about as much horsepower as you can get and still get a Hydrostatic transmission. Transmission type is a hotly debated issue here but for ease of use and your hilly terrain it would be my choice. A tractor of that size will do what you are considering and still be maneuverable.

The one thing you mention that I would research further is making hay. Hay equipment is expensive, generally requires a larger tractor for baling and haying is labor intensive. Having someone else do your baling for shares could well be more cost effective.

Good luck,
MarkV
I think I'm in agreement with you (and others--thanks everyone!) on both of these suggestions.

Actually, my next step will be to visit a few dealerships to see what (if anything) I can handle in the way of tractors and attachments.

/ Starting from scratch; basic advice needed
SarahM; have you considered putting together a business plan before you venture into the purchase of equipment and wish to start farming??

That might indicate the type of equipment you require to produce a salable product and if the economics are there to support a Farm lifestyle.:D

Otherwise you may end up working at an outside job to support the Hobby you call a Farm. That sorta leaves you at the tail end of both prospects. You can't devote proper time to the Farm and you don't have the options to make the best of the Job! The cost of the equipment kills your budget and there is no spare time for the odd day off.:D You end up being neither a farmer or a career person.:confused:

Now this advice is coming from an old fellow who last spent time on a real farm about 50 + years ago but plays around on 68 acres of which 10 or so are cultivated that he calls "The Play Farm". :D These acres don't make no money but may be considered "The Old Man's Golf Course" in lieu of actually playing golf!:D

Farming and making enough money to support the Farming lifestyle ain't easy!:D
Egon, I've thought about all of this. The farm has been in my family for 25 years, so it's already being farmed. If I do not buy any equipment, but continue to farm it on shares (am I saying that right? what I mean is splitting profits with nearby farmers who actually do the work, but on our land...), it will turn a small profit. There isn't much overhead.

I mentioned in a previous post (to Farmwithjunk, I think), that I had in mind something around 20K-- reason being it would need to pay itself off with whatever work I'm able to do with it.

Last edited:
   / Starting from scratch; basic advice needed #34  
I applaud your determination and it sounds like your attacking this the right way, keep what's working paying the bills and "break into" the rest as you can.

BTW, I'm just down HWY 50 from you, near Loogootee.

One thing I'll mention on tractor choice for the amount of land you have is 50 ish HP sounds right for now but if you think you may want to take over more of the farming yourself in the future look at brands that also make bigger tractors. Kubota makes a fine tractor but their biggest is a 53 hp utility tractor. If you decide to grow there isn't a bigger one to be had and you may not get the same money on trade for it from a different dealer. I second FWJ on Stone and Stemle, they have treated me very well and have a good reputation.

I buy from Troy Pride [Phone (812) 254-4005 or Toll Free (800) 255-4960]
out of their Washington store. It's a little further for you but he has really taken care of me. He once "ate" the cost of a transaxle rebuild (~ $1800) on a 14 year old used garden tractor that I bought from him 6 months earlier. :D Now that's customer service!

I don't know much about commercial farming but I do know a few folks over this way, if you have a question I'll be happy to ask them. Maybe they can point you in the right direction!

Good luck!

/ Starting from scratch; basic advice needed #35  
The farm has been in my family for 25 years, so it's already being farmed. If I do not buy any equipment, but continue to farm it on shares (am I saying that right? what I mean is splitting profits with nearby farmers who actually do the work, but on our land...), it will turn a small profit. There isn't much overhead.

The important part is the dollar numbers and do not forget about running costs, repairs and replacement.

Haying was mentioned I believe. Figure these costs carefully and also take into account bale handling and the number of people required for the operations you intend.

The choice of which equipment to get is most likely the least of your decisions. Successful farming requires very close contact with the fluctuating markets and production costs. Figure those out and you will be successful.:D

Again Note: I'm not a Farmer! Don't even pretend to be one!

/ Starting from scratch; basic advice needed #36  
One thing I'll mention on tractor choice for the amount of land you have is 50 ish HP sounds right for now but if you think you may want to take over more of the farming yourself in the future look at brands that also make bigger tractors. Kubota makes a fine tractor but their biggest is a 53 hp utility tractor. If you decide to grow there isn't a bigger one to be had and you may not get the same money on trade for it from a different dealer.

Uhmmm....I beg to differ. I used my 85 HP Kubota utility tractor just last night, Kubota makes utility tractors from 50 HP to 125 HP. Kubota's are also well known for their value. :)

/ Starting from scratch; basic advice needed #37  
Uhmmm....I beg to differ. I used my 85 HP Kubota utility tractor just last night, Kubota makes utility tractors from 50 HP to 125 HP. Kubota's are also well known for their value.

I stand humbly corrected:eek: Kubota M series does go up to 103HP.

Kubota's do hold their value well, was just pointing out that if size offerings forced a color switch the trade would not be as favorable as staying the same color.

Seen plenty of bota's around barns here in Indiana but never one in the field..In these parts anything under 150HP is considered down right "cute" and my 2210 is a riding lawnmower!

/ Starting from scratch; basic advice needed #38  
Actually Kubota goes up to 135hp with the M135x