Right Tractor for 50 acre estate?

/ Right Tractor for 50 acre estate? #1  

cderekbower

Hi all. I have 50 acres of forested land. After some noise and money spent, this will be a mixed orchard. I need to be able to keep the place more manicured than just a commercial orchard as it will be also be an estate.
I expect that I will initially haul logs with the tractor and then later use it to plough my veg gardens, deliver manure, pull fruit wagon and mow. For a farm of this size, what size of tractor do I need? thanks.

/ Right Tractor for 50 acre estate? #2  
Welcome to TBN. Just my opinion but I would say anywhere from a 35 to 50 hp compact. I would want 4wd, front end loader, and at least two rear remotes. Cab would be great if you are going to do a lot of spraying but not so handy in the woods.

/ Right Tractor for 50 acre estate? #3  
A neighbor runs a commercial fruit orchard. He uses several tractors, but all are low profile models designed for orchard work. They're low profile and low clearance to get under limbs as much as possible. A couple are Kubotas, 2 more Deere's and a Massey Ferguson. I don't know if it's just operator preference or if it simply works the best, but one Deere seems to get the lions share of service. All are 40 to 60 hp range. Not sure of individual model designations.

/ Right Tractor for 50 acre estate? #4  
Not sure of your spacing.. but i must ditto the 40+ hp range.. perhaps topping out at 70 cuz after that you start getting into larger frame sized tractors.. and harder to orchard fender models.. or LCG/ low profile models.. etc.

soundguy

/ Right Tractor for 50 acre estate? #5  
Hi all. I have 50 acres of forested land. After some noise and money spent, this will be a mixed orchard. I need to be able to keep the place more manicured than just a commercial orchard as it will be also be an estate.
I expect that I will initially haul logs with the tractor and then later use it to plough my veg gardens, deliver manure, pull fruit wagon and mow. For a farm of this size, what size of tractor do I need? thanks.

How much orchard? Around here we have olive, almond, English walnut, prune plum and mandarin orange orchards. I see a lot of 30-40 hp Kubotas at work among the trees.

You realize that in addition to discing and mowing (usually with a flail mower), orchards need to be sprayed with insecticides. The newer orchard tractors have what amount to nearly hermitically sealed cabs to protect the operator without the need to dress in hazmat gear. Check out AgSource magazine to see the latest in really cool orchard tractors

Ag Source Magazine

For my 10 acres of flat pasture land (soon to be 6-7 acres of hayfield), I have a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto) with the ML-250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket). That size tractor would be the minimum I'd consider for 50 acres. All of the big name tractor manufacturers have models in the 50-70 hp range which is where I'd be looking.

/ Right Tractor for 50 acre estate? #6  
The sprayers used in orchards require a good amount of PTO HP to turn the foggers/fans. They also are pulling a lot of liquid around on the sprayer.

/ Right Tractor for 50 acre estate? #7  
The sprayers used in orchards require a good amount of PTO HP to turn the foggers/fans. They also are pulling a lot of liquid around on the sprayer.

Yep, and the minumum PTO HP is about 70 unless you get one of those motorized rigs.