Default MF2600... no ground clearance

I'm trying to decide on a new tractor. Most of the work I do is in the woods... hilly and muddy.

I really liked the MF2600 series.... they fit the bill for me: basic, no frills, rugged, good specs/$$. But there's one thing holding me back... I noticed the ground clerance is significantly less that the competition in the same HP/size/price range.

Its too bad... I like the 2605 otherwise, but I think clearance is a big factor for me avoiding getting stuck in the mud (although anything is gonna be a big step from the 2WD industrial that I use now).

Anyone else notice this? Any thoughts?

Tractor
    MF 5435, MF 165

Default Re: MF2600... no ground clearance

Can you get taller tires? The 2615 I saw had some good ground clearance. I think it had 14.9x28" AG tires on it.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

I also work in the woods a great deal, and changed from my first tractor choice due to the lower clearance - and have been very happy that I did. If your property is like mine, you want to find the balance between ground clearance, yet small enough to snake between the trees with minimal damage. I'm sure Massey has something to fit the bill.

Mike

"As you go through life, make this your goal: watch the donut, not the hole"

Kubota B7800
    BH-75A Backhoe
    Rhino 60'' finish mower

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1720

The 2605 and 2615 is listed @ 10" of ground clearance @ the drawbar with 13.6 x 28 rear tires.

The 2625 is listed @ 13" of ground clearance with 16.9 x 28 rear tires.

If you are looking @ the 2605 and 2615 just spec out the larger rear tires to get the higher clearance.

How much clearance do you think that you need?

Yeah, the 2605 is listed as 10". Compare to a kubota L2800 which is listed at 13.6" (a step down in tractor size/price), or the M4900 at 16.9" (comparable size/price).

I have to idea how to guess how much clearance I "need", but I figure more is better.

The rear tires don't plus up on the 2600 line until the 2625 (OEM tires that is) when it ups the clearance to 13.5". I asked my dealer about getting the 2625 size on the 2605 and they said they can't get them that way. I'm guessing they're sized based on the HP and gear ratios and such, but my local dealer wasn't very smart on that. 2625 is sweet but out of my price range. I like the bigger fronts too.

I'm open to any advice. My current tractor is an industrial 2WD.... so currently lots of frustration in the woods. First thing I'm exited to get rid of is 2WD, but ground clearance is next.

Tractor
    traded MF135 for a 2605 4x4

I compared MF 2605 & 2615 kubota L3200 & L3800 and Mahindra 4025; are were 4x4s. I finally chose the 2605. When I started my quest, though I would end up with the L3200 or the L3800. Dropped the 4025 as it was 5k more, the 2615 was also about 4.9K more. Ended up dropping the Kubotas because of the specifications on tractor weight and loader capabilities plus the 1.5 - 3.4k(depending on dealer I checked) premium cost. I thought the ground clearance was a issue at first and then decided that lower height would make the tractor more stable on hills, especially with the loader raised. More weight = more traction but for yard work the L3200 and L3800 would be a better choice because of less soil compaction.
    The 2605 is a simpler machine and sb easier to maintain. The MF135 that I had since 1986 was a great tractor and the only reason I wanted to up grade is that I wanted a Loader and did not feel the front end was strong enough to handle it.

I had rented a L3200 for a day and was satisfied with it. But after using the loader on the 2605, I can tell the difference between it and the Kubota. The 2605 is much stronger. I am trying to clear paths in the woods after a tornado and logging left a big mess to where I can't even walk the property boundary's.

With 4x4 on the 2605, u get the loader used on the bigger hp tractors. One reason the pricing is less on the MF was a free loader and 1500 rebate which is currently running through July.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

We have a smaller MF that has too little ground clearance, so it just gets used around the house mowing. Our L3800 is in the woods almost daily, logging and clearing logging roads. It is the best woods tractor we've ever used.
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3800DT, L3750DT Shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill2 View Post
    We have a smaller MF that has too little ground clearance, so it just gets used around the house mowing. Our L3800 is in the woods almost daily, logging and clearing logging roads. It is the best woods tractor we've ever used.
    I spoke a lil too quick about or lil MF2300. I was looking for my brother a while ago, his truck and the larger L3750 kubota was here. He's usually in the woods with one or the other, but he was no where in sight. Then I hear a tractor coming out of the woods, he's on the lil MF2300 with boom and skidder chain and stuff. Said he had some logs down in a place that he could not get to with the larger tractor. Said the lil Massey pull em right out.

Point is, most any of these smaller 4wd tractors can get the job done with a little brain power.
    Don
    Kubota L3750 Hydro Shuttle, 4wd, FEL; L3800 Gear drive, 4wd, FEL
    Husqvarna XP chainsaws 346xp X3, 357xp, 562xp, 359