jd iMatch system

/ jd iMatch system #1  

Anonymous Poster

Is there anyway to use the iMatch system with non-JD attachments. Like Brushhog, post hole diggers and scraper blades.

/ jd iMatch system #2  
You may have problems hitching iMatch with non-JD attachmernts. This is primary reason I didn't purchase one. You might do better getting the telescoping draft links....more flexible and likely more adaptable to different attachment makes and models.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ jd iMatch system #3  
I'm picking up my 4310 next week along with the iMatch system and some non-JD implements. My dealer says with minimal modification, they will work with the JD iMatch. I'll let you know. Bob and I communicated at length about this and other pre-purchase issues. He may be right about the telescoping draft links. I chose a different approach, so we'll see if one or both of us made the correct choice. Either way, I think that both Bob and I will be open about what works and what doesn't. The tractors are so new, we're all flying blind to a certain extent.

Bill

/ jd iMatch system #4  
I don't see a reason why non-JD attachments couldn't fit, and if not, they could be made to fit. Its just a matter of the lower pins being at the right distance apart and such that the i-match can hook them, and the top pin location being set up so it can be hooked by the top hook of the i-match. The three pickup points of the i-match are fixed, meaning that the attachments need to have the same match. Not rocket science, for sure. Seems it would be rare that non-JD equipment couldn't be made to fit, maybe with a bit of welding and such.

/ jd iMatch system #5  
I have a JD 45 blade and the top link does not match up with the I-match system.

/ jd iMatch system #6  
<font color=blue>Its just a matter of the lower pins being at the right distance apart and such that the i-match can hook them...it would be rare that non-JD equipment couldn't be made to fit, maybe with a bit of welding and such.</font color=blue>

But then, doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of having iMatch. Who would want to go through the bother of trying to modify the size or length of the lower pins to try to make them fit iMatch? More so, how many of us are experienced enough in the skill and art of welding to make these modifications?

Having said this, I have an interesting dilemma I just discovered. I have an old carry-all from the 1950's that I really want to use with my 4710. The lower pins do not have holes to insert klik pins but have expanded ends resembling bolt heads that act as restrainers. These large 'bolt head end' restrainers prevent me from sliding the lower draft links onto these lower pins. Only way I can do this is to cut these 'bolt head ends' off and find another way to provide an appropriate restrainer to prevent the draft links from popping off. Maybe I'll try to manually drill holes into the lower pins to accommodate the klik pins. Then, I started thinking that if I had iMatch, I may not have this problem as the lower iMatch's brackets would simply slide under and pop into place on the carry-all's lower pins. iMatch could come in real handy and save time then.

Bottom Line: I think it really depends upon the attachments you're using and it behooves one to do due diligance and research in whether specs of non-JD attachments can be accommodated by JD's iMatch. If one wants to expend a couple hundred more, it certainly doesn't hurt having iMatch. It may even come in handy as I'm finding out with my carry-all dilemma.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ jd iMatch system #7  
Bob,

Can't wait to see if iMatch works easily with the non-JD box I ordered. Then, we'll know more.

Bill

/ jd iMatch system
The iMatch system is based on a quick hitch standard published by the American Society of Agricultural Engineers (ASAE S278.6, if you want to look it up). This standard describes the required geometry for compatible quick hitchs and implements. Before 2002, some John Deere implements were built to this standard, but many were not. What John Deere has done is convert all of their category I 3 point hitch implements to conform to the above standard. This also includes Frontier branded implements. Other companies may make equipment that conform to this standard. It would be useful if others would report their experiences here.

I have used the iMatch system a couple times (other folks tractors unfortunately) and really like it. The hitch needs to be adjusted vertically and the implement parked on solid ground for it to work the best.

If you already have implements that are not iMatch compatible, then as was suggested earlier in this thread, you might want to look at the available telescoping hitch or what I call the "ball and claw" hitch which allows quicker attaching of the lower draft links.

/ jd iMatch system #9  
<font color=blue>"What John Deere has done is convert all of their category I 3 point hitch implements to conform to the above standard. This also includes Frontier branded implements."</font color=blue>

Does this mean Woods implements all meet the standard since the Frontier line is is Woods in green paint?

/ jd iMatch system #10  
Woods may make Frontier, but wouldn't think Woods would necessarily change their own line to conform to the specs Deere sets up for what Deere buys. However, meeting the standard ASAE specs might make some sense to all manufacturers of 3pt attachments.
Finding a local welder fabricate for retrofit of non-standard attachments shouldn't be a huge crisis either, IMO. Just depends on how handy one wants their attachments to be. Soon I hope to have an iMatch, and will have about 4 of my non-conforming 3pt attachments made to conform.