10' pull behind rotary cutter and tractor

/ 10' pull behind rotary cutter and tractor #1  

richkerr2222

i am looking at buying a 40-60 hp tractor and a 10' pull behind bush hog 2010.
The specs for the bush hog say i need 40 pto for this implement. This implement weighs 2100 lbs! do i need to be concerned about the weight of the tractor im buying as well for this bush hog. i noticed the weight difference when comparing a heavy mahindra and a kubota.

im trying to find the most efficient tractor and bushhog set up for cutting 75 acres a few times a year. i dont think i have time to pull a 6' bushhog for this much land.

thanks for the advice!!!

/ 10' pull behind rotary cutter and tractor #2  
The specs for the bush hog say i need 40 pto for this implement. This implement weighs 2100 lbs! do i need to be concerned about the weight of the tractor im buying as well for this bush hog. i noticed the weight difference when comparing a heavy mahindra and a kubota.

im trying to find the most efficient tractor and bushhog set up for cutting 75 acres a few times a year. i dont think i have time to pull a 6' bushhog for this much land.

thanks for the advice!!!

Is this your only use? If so, IMHO, I would say to hire/borrow/rent a tractor a mower for this if only 4-5 times a year.

Kyle

/ 10' pull behind rotary cutter and tractor #3  

thanks for the advice!!!

What's your worry? Is there something unusual about the fields you plan to mow--wet spots, deep sand, etc?

If it's a typical pasture grass field, I don't think a 2100 lb pull mower is a problem for a 40-60 hp tractor that could weigh anywhere from 4000-6000 lb. My 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp diesel engine, 45 hp pto) weighs 5370 lb (without FEL, weights or loaded rear tires) and the 3pt can lift 3525 lb at the pins. I mow with a 6-ft bush hog on the 3pt with no problem.

You're pulling a 2100 lb mower on the drawbar so that mower load is peanuts for a big tractor like you're considering. Just be sure to get ag tires. If traction becomes a problem for some reason, hydroinflate the rear tires with water, water/antifreeze, or beet juice.

/ 10' pull behind rotary cutter and tractor #4  
40hp will be "cutting it close" (pardon the pun) on hp for 10'er in all but the lightest of mowing conditions. (ie clipping pastures that stay well manicured) As far as weight, being a drawn mower, as opposed to a mounted type, there's considerably less load on the tractor. Still, in heavy grass, you'll either be crawling along or operating with mower raised slightly. Bush Hog has a tendency to rate an ABSOLUTE minimum hp that's usually just that....an absolute minimum. Mowing thick grass can be tougher than mowing dense brush. I'd tend to be thinking just a bit more HP.....

50 to 60 hp will handle that sort of mower quite a bit better. I'm demo-ing a 10' cutter for use on a 60 hp tractor at present. It seems to be a good match from the limited time we've been able to try it. I could tell you more if the darn rain would stop long enough to get in the fields.....

2100lbs rolling weight won't be a problem behind a tractor that size unless you're on EXTREMELY hilly terrain. Much of the weight would be carried on the mowers wheels.

/ 10' pull behind rotary cutter and tractor #5  
The guy up the road from me has a 5000 Ford and has a 10 ft' pull mower with 2 wheels to lift it and run on. I ask him how it done and it said it was great.

/ 10' pull behind rotary cutter and tractor #6  
What FarmWithJunk said.

I'd be looking for a utility sized tractor, not a compact.

55/60hp range.

40hp isn't going to do it IMHO.

the whole weight of the pull behind isn't on the tractor. BUT, it is still heavy, you can get the whole rig stuck in muck pretty easily. DAMHIK ;)

/ 10' pull behind rotary cutter and tractor #7  
I agree with the others. I'd go more than 40hp.

I have a 10' 3pt mower, and run it on a ford 5000 usually.. it's 67pto hp.. runs it good.. and if I get into thick stuff.. I don't have to downshift.

I had to ballast the front with 420# of weight.. but then.. mine is 3pt.. not a tow unit.

soundguy

/ 10' pull behind rotary cutter and tractor #8  
I agree with Soundguy and FWJ. 40 HP would be the low end. I've got an old 10' bushhog (pull behind) and I have pulled it with my Kioti DK45. It goes okay as long as you're just "pasture clipping". If I use it for actual bushhogging, I use the Ford 5000 (probably similar to Soundguys, just not as nice of shape!). I'm not sure what HP it is (it is the gas engine), but it pulls it through fairly thick stuff without problem.

I'd say 55 to 60 HP would be the minimum I would consider for a 10' rotary cutter.

Good luck and take care.

/ 10' pull behind rotary cutter and tractor #9  
I have the 2010 Bushhog mower with airplane tires, great mower, I have an m7040 with cab powering it and in the thick thick grass it can bog it down. I would definitely go with a minimum of 60 hp. I love the mower though what little I have used it. I think I found a deal on the mower at $5100 brand new from my dealer. Let me know what you have been quoted on one.

/ 10' pull behind rotary cutter and tractor
thanks for all the info!!!

Im going to look at a Kubota 04' 5030 4x4 w/ bucket 1,500 hrs.

i also found a used bushhog 2100 10' semi mount for 3,800$$ that looks to be in good shape.

I have to pee on the fence to truly learn for myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks