International Harvester 2444

/ International Harvester 2444 #1  

westfortworth

I have an old IH 2444 that has not been ran in a couple of years. I would like to get it running before I try and sell it. What all should I do to it before I try and crank it?
1. Battery
2. Fuel Filter and Fuel
3. Carb Kit
4. Change oil
Remember I would just like to get it running before i sell it, I do not want to put alot of money into it. Thanks CS

/ International Harvester 2444 #2  
If it was me.. I'd put a lil atf or MMo in each cyl and let it set a day, then roll it over the next day and add a lil more,

during this time remov ethe battery and see if it will take a charge.. if not.. you will be geting a battery for it.

help t out.. cleant he bat cables and solenoid and chassie ground connections.. and add chassie grease to prevent further corosion.. clean terminal ends till shiny.. not oxidized and dull.

do change the oil.

fuel... depends.. I'v had some luck mixing new gas with older gas on an older machine and getting her fired up.

clean and regap points, and plugs...

roll engine over with plugs out to expell any excess oil in cyls,, then add plugs and see what you got.. you may be surprised and not even need to go in carb.. if carb has a drain plug inthe bowl.. pull it and see if you are getitng flow pas tthe flaot needle, then replace plug and see if she overflows. if not.. float is working.. past that.. fire her up and see what ya got.

I just went thru this with a ford NAA i had back inthe barn for about 4 years...

soundguy

/ International Harvester 2444
Wanted to update my status on this project.
Turns out it is a diesel engine. I rebuilt the starter and was able to get it to turn over but would not fire. We are thinking that it needs a injector pump rebuild ~ $500-$1000. Does anyone have any ideas of things I could do before I spend the money on the injector? Anything I can do to the injector before I take it off?? Thanks for any suggestions or advise.

/ International Harvester 2444 #4  
Turns out it is a diesel?? how did you own and run it and not know that?

in any case.. are you sure the fuel lines are bled up to the pump, and did you crack the lines at the injectors till fuel bubbled out when you cranked her over?

if so.. I'd try to pull it off.. saves the battery, and usually starts a stubborn diesel.... however.. only works on a straight gear model..

soundguy

It was on a property that I bought and now I am fixing it up. I was not sure what engine it had, gas or diesel.

I have now rebuilt the starter and injector pump. One of the bolts that holds the pump on is stripped. I have been told it is welded to the plate and that I would need to replace the plate (big job). It looks to me that the bolt is like a lug bolt and that I might be able to knock it out after i mark the gear and remove. ANyone ever tried JB weld on a bolt like this?
I thought if there were enough treads on the end of the bolt, I could just add on a bolt to hold it.
How about tack welding the pump on? I was also told that I could not get the replacement bolt, that I would have to grind down a regular bolt and make it work if I did not want to replace the plate. ANy suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Charlie

/ International Harvester 2444 #6  
jb weld won't work.

what about using a file, then a die and retapping threads on the bolt next metric or sae size down.. then add a custom made sleave over the smaller shank to make it fit the mount hole tight with no movement.. then use approprite flat washer and new nut.

that or braze it up.. and recut threads carefully, back to standard size... then just don't get crazy with torque on it..

soundguy

Got her running! After rebuilt starter, injector pump, new battery, new glow plugs. Lift and PTo work fine, Hydraulics work great, the only problem is the blow by. I am getting some blow buy, more than I care to deal with. Very little if any from the bottom part of the engine - took the oil dip stick out and saw little to nothing. The tractor runs and sounds great otherwise. I am guessing I have a ring or rings that are stuck? The other thing that makes me think it is a ring issue is that I have to use quite abit of diesel in the manifold or WD40 to get enough compression to get it to crank. But, once its started, it runs like a top - and does not seem to get hot.
ANy suggestions on what might be my next step? Marvel Myst Oil in the injectors? How much oil ?
I am trying to avoid an overhaul - it just runs to good IMO.

/ International Harvester 2444 #8  
if it is stuck rings, I'd mix some atf fluid and diesel and put down the injector holes to set.. then spin it by hand the next day with injectors out to move oil around.. add more fluid.. then the next day, spin it over with injectors out to clear oil.. and see what ya go.

no blowby in the crankcase, yet low compression leads me to think valves... bad rings should show lots of compression in the oil pan..

soundguy

Still lots of blow by after using the mystery oil in the cylinders and running a while. I guess I am in for an overhaul. I have never done this before. Any advise before I get started or references someone could suggest or loan?
Thanks. :confused:

/ International Harvester 2444 #10  
are you getting blowby in the crankcase?

is it starting ok?

if so.. id run more mmo in the engine oil.. let it go for an oil change before you think about a rebuild for sure..

soundguy